Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment credits...(to be or not to be...)

Posted by RiaanR 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Assignment credits...(to be or not to be...)
July 11, 2006 08:56AM
Why do we need to get 100 credits to be allowed to write exams?
This 100 credits system, is putting un-necessary pressure on the students to perform, not to mention the pressure it puts on UNISA staff to give the students the credits where the credits are due in a certain amount of time. (Something that's seriously fallen behind this year)

I do understand the limitations that we should submit at least 1 assignment before a certain date (Not UNISA who made this rule), but
The semester modules that I heard of, you do not need to obtain 100 credits. (Can't we use this system?)

I agree that we should submit assignments, and need feedback from our assignments (we need to learn from our mistakes), but we should be able to do this, without the pressure of credits. In other words let the people hand in assignments when and if they want to, provide the feedback in due time, BUT let the exam decide if you are "worthy" of the subject.

It's not like the 100 credits, or assignment results are going to help you in the exam...right?!? (Example: I score 40 in the exam, but I pass because I handed in all my assignments and scored 80%+ in all of them...)

What do you think?
Credits or No credits?
tongue sticking out smiley
Re: Assignment credits...(to be or not to be...)
July 11, 2006 09:17AM
Hi,

I'm quite sure that I would not have completed my degree were it not for credits. I would not have made time to do the assignments had I not required 100 credits to write the exam. I feel that it did work for me because come exam time the stuff was not brand new and I just had to revise. It doesn't seem too bad though considering that you would have to write and pass tests and attend x amount of lectures to write the exam in a conventional university (unless thats changed).

Navin
Mel
July 11, 2006 09:22AM
I think credits are better - I started off doing a BA degree(hated it - really not my scene!) and at that stage you didn't have to submit assignments at all, let alone get 100 credits. In comparison, I find far more motivation and reason to study throughout the year, rather than cramming for exams.
avatar Re: Assignment credits...(to be or not to be...)
July 11, 2006 09:28AM
So what you (Navin/Mel) are saying that you would not submit assignments, if you did not need the credits?
Anonymous User
July 11, 2006 10:57AM
Hi

I would also not submit assignments if I didn't need the credits. The first time I would see the work would be the week before the exam...

I think its a good thing to do assignments - there are people out there who dismally fail the assignments - so then there is no point in even bothering to write the exam.

AND at a nomal university you still have to get dp's - which means submitting work, attending lectures, tutorials and labs. So I think its only fair smiling smiley

Celene
July 11, 2006 11:12AM
I struggle already to find time for assignments - without the need to accumulate the credits, I would probably tell myself I must do them anyway for the feedback, and then never get around to it. However, there needs to be enough chances to earn your credits, so that one missed or failed assignment is not the end of the line.

While I haven't had a problem with any of my subjects in this regard, my bf is doing a PGCE, and some of his subjects have a setup where one missed/failed assignment means that you can't get the 100 credits. For example, a subject with only two assignments: one gives you 70 credits for passing the assignment; the other gives you 30 credits for a pass. Now while maybe the assignments aren't that difficult to pass, that is a lot of unnecessary pressure!
July 11, 2006 12:13PM
Okey, I hear what you guys/gals are saying...Lets say that there could be a check box when you register your modules that says enforce 100 credits check...would you check it?....for all your modules?
Anonymous User
July 11, 2006 12:23PM
yep, I would check it. Anyhow, believe me they let you write exams with less than 100 credits....
July 11, 2006 12:42PM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yep, I would check it. Anyhow, believe me they
> let you write exams with less than 100 credits....

It's good to know, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose?

And BTW: I would check it but only for one or two modules. (Not All)
Anonymous User
July 11, 2006 01:07PM
July 11, 2006 02:16PM

RiaanR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's good to know, but doesn't that defeat the
> whole purpose?

It's kinda like DP (Due Performance) at most universities, I guess. If you lose your DP, you can lobby your lecturers to get your DP back and write the exam. I guess they figure that if you are motivated enough to fight for your DP, you might have a chance in the exams...
July 11, 2006 03:14PM
The 100 credits thing is very necessary for several reasons IMHO.

Firstly as people have already brought up it helps to motivate us to actually do the assignments (I would probably find myself doing far less without them).

Also (far more importantly in my opinion) it means that the student must actually do some work to pass his/her subjects.

The reason I say this is that there are many subjects in which it is (unfortunately) very easy to cram for the exams, pass the exams and then forget the work immediately I will be honest hear and admit that I have done this myself for some smiling smiley

By making the student have to pass both the exam and some assignments the student is however forced to learn at least a little bit more. He/she could of course cram for the assignments too but the effort of cramming and forgetting the same work numerous times begins to lose any possible benefits it might have and makes actually learning the work correctly more likely.

The third reason it is necessary, and this is by far the most important (although not true for all subjects) is that some subjects split the work up, for example the assignments cover most the practical parts and the exam covers the theory, by making the assignments hard and requiring you pass them (eg/ if you fail an assignment you don't get exam admission) the student will then be required to know both practical and theory in order to pass the year.

If however the admission requirements were to vanish we would suddenly have a bunch of people who don't know how to program getting degrees.

(Although having said this I still feel that university in general is flawed and that people who don't know how to program do still manage to get degrees winking smiley )

Anyway, if there were an option to not have the 100 credits The lazy(smart) side of me would take over and make use of that option. It would probably cause unisa degrees to become incredibly worthless though.
July 11, 2006 04:21PM
I must agree. Although I'd love not to have the pressure to hand in x amount of assingments by x date, we are definately better off by doing them.

Even with this COS111U, sure, it's easy as anything, and I feel confident that I could write the exam straight away and ace it, I will admit that reading through the work and doing the assignments has had at least some value.

-Valkeye
July 11, 2006 05:18PM
I think that the 100 credits requirement should stay in place, kinda forces you to start working from day 1 rather than waiting till the eleventh hour to start working on a module.

However, I do like the approach that the lecturers for COS101 and COS201 have taken in giving full credits so long as an adequate attempt has been made on the assignment: means that I have to cover the material but not be 100% perfect and still get full credit. Some modules don't have a helluva lot of available credits to play with!
July 18, 2006 08:43AM
If you consider the fact that most (all) of us are working and studying at the same time, the 100 Credits requirement is a must. It is not only an incentive to get the work done but it also helps pace you through the year. It does also place a bit of pressure on you, but what is life without a bit of pressure to spice it up.
I must admit, if the assignments were not needed to obtain exam entrance I would not do them, simply due to the pressures of work and family life. Quite often it is only the motivation of obtaining the necessary credits that keeps me working till 02:00 in the morning.
-AndreB
August 14, 2006 08:39PM
justa quick comment :

wen all else fails just copy hot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login