Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software Engineering vs. Scientific Computing?

Posted by JohanB 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Re: Software Engineering vs. Scientific Computing?
June 30, 2006 03:08PM
Its annoying when Jobs require a 2-4 year experience in .NET languages when I think a programmer with 3 years experience with 3 months .NET is as capable. But that is what the Ad's seem to ask for.

Anonymous User
Re: Software Engineering vs. Scientific Computing?
June 30, 2006 04:11PM
Anonymous User
Re: Software Engineering vs. Scientific Computing?
June 30, 2006 05:09PM
you also find that the employment agencies or hr departments who put out the adverts have no clue what kind of experience is needed - they generally say 2- 5 years experience for anything - just to make sure they don't get people brand new out of varsity or college. The thing is to apply for those jobs - you probably find you end up going for an interview because there are very few people who DO have 3 years experience.

I have known of some cases where they ask for x years experience and the product hasn't even been around for 6 months.
June 30, 2006 09:21PM
The x years experience happened when .Net first came out - have actually experienced it myself.
Unfortunately, most of the people employed by agencies, themselves have no IT experience and thus do not understand, as bini has mentioned, that if you have been in the IT industry for a period of time, you can master a lot of similar languages in a very short period - provided that you use them regularly. That is why I found the move to Delphi very easy - have been working in VB for 10+ years (there goes my age!, but still young enough to go for the degree).
July 01, 2006 09:00AM
Thing is now as well, with Google araound, if you don't know the proper way to do something, it takes you no more than 10 mins or so to find suitable code on Google.

I know it's been a big help for me in the past smiling smiley

But I must agree, I found the .net language relly easy to learn and i've only been using it for around 1 year or so.

-Valkeye
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login