Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suitable first-year modules?

Posted by RiaanR 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Suitable first-year modules?
June 23, 2006 11:08AM
Hope anybody can help...
If you do the software engineering stream of B.Sc. what is meant by plus 4 suitable first-year modules. What qualifies as suitable?
Any first level module?

Also, can you swap out a third level subject for a first level subject? In other words; can you do COS340 instead of MAT111? (As long as you get credits for the module is it OK...)? (If you meet the pre-requisites for COS340 that is)
Anonymous User
Re: Suitable first-year modules?
June 23, 2006 11:46AM
Hi

I think you have to do mat111 for a computer science degree unless you already have maths credits from a previous degree or something. Plus, I think you need mat111 to do cos340 anyhow.

4 suitable modules - there is a list of what they consider suitable - so its the maths ones, the stats 101 (or is it 105) one, the comprehension skills for science, any other inf or cos first year modules that are not on the "have to do" list.

CElene
avatar Re: Suitable first-year modules?
June 23, 2006 12:27PM
Hi celene, thanks for the reply.
I used the COS340 just as an example. Can you swap out a third / second level subject for a first level subject, if you meet the pre-requisites for that module? (As long as you get 30 Credits?)

> there is a list of what they consider suitable
Where is this list?

Here is my list of (completed) first year modules:
COS111
COS113
CSS101
INF105
STS105
CEM101
COS112
COS114
COS161
INF120
COS101
OPS101
PLS207 (This is swapped out for a second level module, and I received credits for It. Thats why I'm asking)

I need one extra...but what?
Anonymous User
June 23, 2006 01:25PM
oh, yes, I see what you mean. yep, you can swop out 2nd or 3rd year modules for first year ones - well, thats what I did - I did second year maths subjects instead of some first year things - also, I already had maths 1 exemptions.

Do you not have to do some first year maths modules? I am almost convinced you have to.....

and the modules that they consider suitable - I think if you look at the subjects for a normal bsc in computer science you will get a list of all subjects offered - just choose something off there - its in that calendar book they send at the end of one year/beginning of next year. also, I think under "prospective studnets" link at the top of thispage there is something about what subjects you can take...
Anonymous User
June 26, 2006 08:23AM
Just thought I'd add in my experience.
I had stopped Unisa for 1/2 year, and when I wanted to continue I didn't want to wait that extra 1/2 yr. Since, all COS and INF and most MAT (I think) subjects are full year, I spoke to a lecturer who told me that I could do any first year modules as the optional five. So, I literally took 3 modules which are not on their recommended list. I guess it will be to your advantage to choose COS and INF and MAT ones - but I am also exempted without credit from the English Comprehension and COS111. So, I decided - why not do any.
So...maybe find out from a lecturer, cos that was my experience.
June 26, 2006 08:59AM
As far as I know for the BSc Software Engineering Stream the 1st year maths modules aren't compulsory unless you're doing 2nd or 3rd year modules that have it as a prerequisite (the only one I know if COS233 which is numerical methods 1).

BTW, according to the calendar, for this same stream, you don't need MAT111 either to do COS340.

Steven
June 26, 2006 09:17AM
Hey Sar,
What modules did you choose.

Can a lecturer of COS or INF please answer the question about the module swap outs, for example if I do 13 first year modules 8 second year modules and 9 third year modules. (eg. COS340) - would that be Okey for B.Sc.?
Anonymous User
June 26, 2006 11:25AM
Hi

From someone who did cos340 - take maths 1 subjects - ones with linear algebra in it......
June 26, 2006 12:08PM
June 26, 2006 04:47PM
To add to Celene's comment - if you are going to do COS340, I would advise both MAT111 and MAT211 (the 1st and 2nd year Linear Algebra courses) - I did COS340 last year and MAT211 this year - MAT211 is now very easy because the material was covered in COS340 (but with the assumption you already knew it). That said though, a good understanding of linear algebra is useful in the computing field even if you are not going graphics.
June 26, 2006 10:45PM
So COS340 is a pretty mathematical module I presume, perhaps I should strike that off my third year list smiling smiley I'm far from a maths wiz! I agree that a good understanding of linear algebra is important in the computing field but you can either do it or you can't: I fall into the latter category (four years of enterprise programming and I've yet to encounter any algebra).

Anyone done COS351 (Techniques of AI)? Thinking about maybe swopping that in instead of COS340.
June 27, 2006 07:46AM
I personally found COS340 much better than COS351 - depends on where your interests lie though. COS351 is based on the formal logic courses (advisable to have done COS261 first) and a bit of linear algebra (still need MAT111 to make it easier). ie. you won't get away from maths completely. COS340 has a large maths component in terms of the theory but the overall course material is very interesting and covers areas you don't really see in the rest of the COS courses. Of the 2, I would recommend COS340.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006 12:38PM
The maths in cos340 isn't al lthat bad and from what I hear the whole subject is a bit better organised this year than it has been previously - so hopefully every year it will become better smiling smiley

I didn't do cos351 but I am doing cos451 - then again tthats not going to help much in this discussion...
June 27, 2006 12:54PM
Thanks for all the replies: but that still does not answer my question, about the module swap outs, for example if I do 13 first year modules 8 second year modules and 9 third year modules. (e.g. COS340, or COS 351, or COS 301 etc. instead of the 14th first year module) - would that be Okay for B.Sc.?
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Anonymous User
June 27, 2006 04:20PM
Riaan, I would seriously advise you just to phone a lecturer and ask them. Then you can be sure about your course of action. Maybe they could even advise you which course to take. smiling smiley
For my optional courses - I did a few recommended ones - ie. OPS and MAT. But, I also took 2 communication modules (which makes the BSc major seem like an impossible degree. They were so easy I learnt the day before and got an A). I also did a Philosophy one which I loved.

Then again - your choice is all to do with how much time you have and what interests you.

Good luck
June 28, 2006 12:20PM
Hi,

You should email your degree details together with the modules that you want to do to student affairs. They will be able to advise you. I emailed them because I received credits for a few maths modules. I completed my degree with 12 1st, 10 2nd and 8 3rd year modules. Unfortunately I have deleted the email and don't have the address anymore.

Navin

PS: I kept that email like gold so that when I completed the degree I had proof of what I was advised and UNISA could not ask me to do any further modules. Fortunately it didn't go to that extent though.
June 28, 2006 01:35PM
Hey Navin,
Thats sounds like a good plan. I'll post my findings... smiling smiley
June 30, 2006 11:56AM
A bit of late input:
I am not doing any specific B.Sc stream and have "built up" my subjects from the recommended and required list.
I did my 1st year at a normal university, left everything, started working in IT and few years ago did a Dipl in Datametrics (now a Cert) with mainly INF subjects. I have since completed my INF subjects and are now busy with my COS subjects. This year I have COS subjects from 1st and 2nd year and one "left over" INF 3rd year subject.
I have found the INF subjects much better to understand due to my work experience, I hate the Maths subjects disguised in the COS subjects and sort of enjoy programming in C++. ASM (COS221) is a pain and Delphi (COS114) a joy (are programming in that at work).
To get back to the original question: I have worked out what subjects I wanted to study and then asked one of the lecturers to assist. I had to make a few changes here and there, but have mainly been sticking to the original group.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login