Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses
May 23, 2006 05:10PM
Hi all smiling smiley

I would like to know if any of you guys are taking the following courses...would be nice to know if there is at least someone else out there doing the same subjects as me

INF 418,
INF 425,
INF 431,
INF 450 and INF 462

thanks
jesse
avatar Re: Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses
May 24, 2006 07:54AM
I know it's a bit early in the year to ask you this..but how are they?
How do they compare to 3 level INF subjects?
Anonymous User
Re: Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses
May 24, 2006 08:44AM
Hi there,

not a bit presumptuous at all...i completed my degree in 2003 so had a bit of a break in between.

I have to say that doing honours is no piece of cake...its not just reading and answering the questions like I used to when I was doing INF 3rd year - hopefully once I am in the swing of things it gets easier..

May 24, 2006 08:45AM
I do INF431 and INF418.

How do you cope with all those modules.

Cheers
Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 09:34AM
its very difficult to study and work so am trying to get back into things again...431 - cryptography looks a bit painful...

i feel that this year there is not much contact from the lecturers side as was previously the case when I was an undergrad...

but will keep plodding along...hopefully it gets easier..
good to know there are others out there doing this course as well

thanks
- jesse
Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 10:37AM
Hi

I am doing inf431. The cryptography question wasn't al lthat bad in the end - I managed to figure it out smiling smiley I think you just need to do as the textbook says - try each method described in the textbook till you get the right way to decypher the stuff smiling smiley Otherwise, its just tons of reading. And I think - a bit more thinking than was required in undergrad stuff - not just repeat everything parrot fashion.
Anonymous User
May 24, 2006 10:50AM
Hi Celene,

were you trying double tranposition etc? anyway i have the flu so will wait til I'm back to my usual self before I decide to sit in front of my text books difficult when your head feels so blocked smiling smiley
...I agree that it is definitely a lot of reading this year and lot more information to push through...

cool thanks for the tip
Anonymous User
May 25, 2006 10:39AM
hi... to spoil the cryptography for everyone - no, didn't do transposition thing ......
Anonymous User
May 25, 2006 11:33AM
hi...

hope you didn't think i wanted the answer from you...
in all my studying even with AI i didnt need any answers from anyone..

but thanks for replying...
May 25, 2006 05:30PM
I do 431 and a bunch of other subjects that you don't do ;p
Anonymous User
May 26, 2006 09:00AM
Hi Jesse

smiling smiley I didn't think you wanted the answer winking smiley I just didn't want to spoil everyones pain and sorrow by trying transposition winking smiley The "decryption" is actually pretty simple i nthe head - I wanted to kick myself when I finally figured it out - after trying all other things - including the transposition.

Maybe I must go and read the da vinci code again - brush up on my "decyphering " skills winking smiley
Anonymous User
May 26, 2006 09:05AM
hi Celene smiling smiley

cool...
try digital fortress - much more fun
May 26, 2006 09:34AM
Hi,

Is the da Vinci book a good read?

Did you see the movie already. Is it any good?

Mel
May 26, 2006 09:59AM
For a better read, try the De Villiers code by Tom Eaton. Hillarious! Be careful of the squirrels in Gardens (Cape Town), they might just rob you of your driver's license and Truworths card! smile
Anonymous User
May 26, 2006 10:07AM
Hi ...
i had the illustrated version of Da Vinci code...was good...pics of Paris is amazing...

I am not Christian so I didnt mind watching the movie...
I think I have a fairly open mind but I think at the same time view it as an adventure story like National Treasure or Indiana Jones tongue sticking out smiley

Yes read the De Villiers Code as well smiling smiley

I watched the movie they did stick mostly to the book..if you are open minded and not sensitive I guess watch it...
but Im a movie buff...
am off to see X Men 3 this weekend...
May 26, 2006 01:18PM
Have guys / gals read angels & demons, which is actually the book before da Vinci?
Hey Jesse how is digital fortress?

I read angels & demons and da Vinci, and must admit A&D is much better.

Saw the DVC movie, and I can't imagine people enjoying the movie without the background info of the book.

well that's what I think...anyway. smiling smiley
May 26, 2006 01:22PM
Have to make a mental note to watch De Villiers Code. smiling bouncing smiley

Bit scared of the mutant squirrels thou... winking smiley
Anonymous User
May 26, 2006 01:46PM
Riaan smiling smiley

am not sure if De Villiers will be made into a movie...its a book for now smiling smiley

im in cape town and yes i heard that squirrels are a nasty bunch at time..
im scared to feed them peanuts in case they rip my hand off tongue sticking out smiley

am kidding...

i havent read angels and demons since my friend says i have to promise to do all my assignments before I can read the book sad smiley ...so will see...

yes ...reading the Da Vinci Code does help a lot...for me anyway...before watching the movie..its a fast paced movie...so i guess you need background with all the characters....can be a bit confusing...

digital fortress is about cryptography...its a cool story...its about the NSA...but wont give anything away...

it reminds me a bit of Deception Point in the way that it is written ...

well guys and gals have a lovely weekend and happy studying...

- Jesse
May 26, 2006 05:52PM
I really don't get the hype around the Da Vinci code. It's classed as fiction anyway. I haven't read the book and I'll probably only watch the film on DVD when it goes to rent.

I have read Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, Which is classed as non-fiction and is supposed to have been used as inspiration for the DVC. I don't see the problem there either. They authors made it quite clear that the end of the book is just an hypothesis based on the trail the evidence led them and that nothing could be proven without more convincing evidence.

Those with strong faith shouldn't be swayed and those with weak faith probably would move on anyway. Either way, nothing will really change.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2006 10:45AM
I saw the DVC and Read the book - don't know how people will graps much from the movie without reading the book - but I thought the same of the harry potter movies. I always enjoy the books more.

I haven't read the other Dan Brown books yet - will do that one day when I have time confused smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login