Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Re: Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses
May 29, 2006 10:45AM
oh.. I thought x-men was cool smiling smiley
Anonymous User
May 29, 2006 10:56AM
Hi Celene smiling smiley

yes I also like Xmen...also a Harry Potter Fan...books are addictive...read all of them

i have a quick question...when you access the library to download the journal articles...

did you have to create a pin...the system still seems to be down and doesnt acknowledge me as a registered student sad smiley

i cant log on to myunisa as well...and i have emailed the site for help...any suggestions??

thanks
- jes
Anonymous User
May 29, 2006 10:59AM
for the journal articles - yes, you have to make a new pin.

as for myunisa - no idea there sad smiley I registered at the beginning of the year and haven't had any hassles with passwords. I know there are some comments for who to contact for help in some of the other postings - - think the one called myunisa sucks...
Anonymous User
June 17, 2006 04:01PM
hi everyone,

hows the assignments going...i unfortunately have been working long hours...even worked the whole of yesterday...no rest for the wicked sad smiley

is anyone taking inf 462 by any chance? i think i am going about the answering of these questions incorrectly...i took formal logic but i feel as if there is something i am missing here..

hey Celene for the cryptography question - wasn't so bad..sometimes i am not sure if the answer is that blaringly simple...there should be a study guide or something to help us instead of just blindly doing some of these sections...

anyway did anyone see any good movies recently...do stuff other than study and work?

I saw Poseidon and Failure to Launch...havent been able to read anything though besides our text books..

all the best with studies...

at least I got to hike this morning before starting work..
its really amazing in Ctwn today...

let me get back to work...before my boss catches me posting these messages tongue sticking out smiley
Anonymous User
June 19, 2006 12:46PM
I am doing formal logic and cos462 - not doing well with either confused smiley

Good movies -no.. bad movies yes - scarey movie 4 - then again I should have known it would be dumb... luckily I didn't have to pay to watch it so that was okay smiling smiley
June 19, 2006 04:17PM
I stay 200km outside Cape Town. Was in CT for the weekend after three months . Saw X-men. Was quite suprised. I think this one was much better than the second one.
Hope that Superman lives up to the expectation created. If its anything like Smallville then I will wait for the DVD release.
Anonymous User
June 19, 2006 05:59PM
Busy working late again...when does one find time for assignments...

hi louis...ive been in cape town for a year so dont know it so well...ive been to George though...

i also preferred XMen3 to the previous one...anyone saw Poseidon?

i am waiting for the much anticipated Pirates of Caribbean....am a big fan of Johnny Depp...not so sure about Libertine though...

i love movies from Nouveau....and hope to see Mistress of Spices smiling smiley not sure if most people watch movies like that...

anyway good luck with the assignments...
Lets hope inf 462 assignment 2 goes better for all of us...ive never seen such a low mark before tongue sticking out smiley

have a good evening and happy studying..
- jes
July 05, 2006 02:42PM
I'm also doing 4 year Inf modules:
INF 420
INF 417
INF 462 hot smiley thumbs up smiley

You haven't failed until you give up! Until then anything is possible
July 05, 2006 03:34PM
How's the INF420 assignment going.

I'm really battling this time around.
I think I left it to late.
Too many essay questions.

Still have to go away for the weekend.
And then there is COS419 seven days later, followed by INF431.

Mmm, I love this game.

July 16, 2006 03:31PM
Hi INF honours students

I've been trying to get the booklet with the course requirements and descriptions for INF honours from UNISA for almost a year now. They keep sending me the same calendar I found on the website -- which indicates for further information about INF honours I should get the booklet! Very frustrating.

So -- does anyone out there have the list of available courses? I'm mainly curious about how the projects work and if you advise doing a project rather than a course if possible?
What courses are you taking and how are you finding them?
How much time do you spend on the 4th year course compared to the 3rd year courses? I've never found UNISA's time estimates realistic, they over-estimate a LOT!

Thanks for any advice.
smiling smiley
avatar Re: Any fellow students out there - taking 4th year inf courses
July 17, 2006 08:13AM
Anonymous User
July 17, 2006 10:55AM
Hi

Well, a course is well structured - there is a textbook and you just do assignments and write an exam - a project - takes a lot more time for research etc etc and there is no guarantee that you can pass just by studying hard. I suggest if you plan on carrying on with a MAsters degree then do a project. But probably best to ask the lecturers themselves.

I think honours has more work than 3rd year. Less input from lecturers and tons more reading work. Some of the assignments also seem a lot longer than 3rd year things.

Celene
July 17, 2006 01:54PM
If you do decide you want to do a project module I would suggest obtaining the tut101 off osprey first and reading the list of topics and seeing if any of them are actually interesting to you, This will also give you an idea of how much work is actually involved.

I ended up dropping my project module this year as it proved to much to handle along with work and 9 other honours subjects ;/ (And not feeling passionately about any of the available topics didn't help either).

Of course you can only do a project module in your second year anyway, unless you do all 10 honours subjects in one year (which requires special permission and is not recommended).

You should maybe even get this years tut101 letter and read over it now, so that you can get an idea of the sort of things that will be available next year so long.
July 19, 2006 10:13AM
Thanks malcolm and celene -- that was really helpful! I'm considering eventually doing a Masters but not sure - and definitely not sure about doing it through Unisa.
malcolm - you tried 10 honours courses plus work? impressive!
July 19, 2006 12:34PM
Heh well Ive already dropped one so its 9 now tongue sticking out smiley And exams are only in january, so theres nothing to be impressed about yet, I could still fail all of them winking smiley
Anonymous User
July 19, 2006 02:20PM
hey guys...

hope you are all well..and coping with assignments and work and everything else...

am going to ask something totally unrelated...

has anyone got any microsoft certifications such as mcad etc?
i am supposed to be writing my exams soon using c# ...there are a whole list of exams i can write so have chosen xml web services and asp.net am not sure abt the 3rd exam

any one taken these exams so far...does anyone have any take on the 70 340 exam it has to do with Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET
and looks quite interesting...

also are the dumps useful...should i be using them

anyway gtg

catch up with you all later...

thanks
- jesse
Anonymous User
July 21, 2006 09:27AM
Hi Jesse

I'm also doing the MCSD.net, I've already written 3 exams but using
VB. For me the exams were easy and I did not use any of the dumps and
the like. All I did was download the preparation guide for each of the exams from microsoft.com/learning and did preparation based on
"skills being measured". So far this has worked 4 me and I've passed
all the exams on 1st attempt.

I dont know much about "Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET " as I'm doing the SQL server exam instead.

Anyway, good luck for your exams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login