Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

assignments

Posted by Shirley 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
assignments
April 26, 2006 11:54AM
Hi. Is anyone else having problems with the time taken for assignments to be processed by the assignment department. I'm posting at Unisa DBN and they are taking weeks to get there??
April 27, 2006 01:23PM
Why not do it online, post is slow and outdated and stuff..
Anonymous User
Re: assignments
April 28, 2006 10:34AM
I last posted stuff in the 90's... online is waaay easier. Plus you at least know its there.
May 17, 2006 04:31PM
I've been dying to submit my assignments online, but have been too scared to. Why? 'cos every single tut letter for every subject says I can submit assignments online at sol... no-one mentions myUnisa, so - as a 1st time Unisa student - I was paranoid that my assignment may get lost in the machine...

I've been using the assignment box up the road from me. Silly, isn't it?
Anonymous User
May 18, 2006 11:13AM
oh, I have submitted all my first assignments on myUNISA, even got marks back for one. so.. its safe winking smiley
Mel
May 19, 2006 09:42AM
Velvet I think they don't mention myUNISA because when the tut letters were printed or written, myUNISA hadn't been finalised yet. I've always been too scared to use assignment boxes because there's no guarantee your assignment will reach UNISA, and no way to prove you put it in the box if it does in fact go missing.
May 19, 2006 10:34AM
True... I suppose I trusted assignment boxes 'cos all the friends of mine that have studied through Unisa used them, although that was years ago. The assignments I've put in the assignment boxes take ages to reflect on myUnisa, and I'm still waiting for one or two to show up. I've started submitting them online, and it is so-o-o much better on the nerves smiling smiley
Mac
May 19, 2006 12:02PM
There's a new mini cosall available on Osprey that covers assignments.
May 28, 2006 11:42PM
I've started submitting assignments online. It's so much more convenient and quicker. But I did post a Maths assignment at Durban office because it was easier to write than to type and it took nearly three weeks before it showed up on myUnisa. I've had to contact the lecturer and hope that they'll let me write the exam even though it was posted before 10 May but wasn't realised on that side until last Friday. Good luck to me!
June 02, 2006 08:24PM
well, they are well aware of the bottleneck at the assignments dept...so you should be fine
June 03, 2006 08:36PM
Yip.. Online's definately the way to go.. Submit and printscreen... Can't beat it!

-Valkeye
June 03, 2006 09:55PM
I'm not being penalised so will be able to write the exam as long as I get 100 credits.
June 05, 2006 10:10AM
Only problem with online is the 1Mb limit. For my maths courses, the assignments generally come out at more than 10 ahndwritten pages - last one was 17 pages (and not worth the time to even try and type calculus!!). When scanned these come in at way more than 1Mb and I have been really struggling to reduce this size and so far with not much success - either it is BIG or it is illegible (esp with my handwritting). Anybody got any suggestions for making images smaller? BAsically the scanner gives me a big tif file and even after PDF'ing and zipping, it is not much reduced.
June 05, 2006 10:23AM
Scan @ 200/300 dpi, black and white, blank out white space - there may be spots etc - you end up helping compression by eliminating unecessary bits. I spend most 35KB for A4 pages. Still, I operate a Kodak scanner as my day job, so 50pages per minute is a breeze 4 me.

I can get 25000+ invoices per 700mb Cd
Anonymous User
June 05, 2006 12:21PM
or you can figure out a way to type the maths papers in word or something..... but then again I don't know if there are enough symbols and objects that can be used.

June 05, 2006 04:46PM
Get latex...
June 05, 2006 09:48PM
i Sent in scans for my MAT111 course and the system split some of my pages up - parts of my answers went into the next page (during printing ) and was unmarked or '?' - the lecturer got confused and I lost marks .Some bits were blanked out as well.

This should not happen to PDF, but I won't point fingers this time around.
June 06, 2006 02:10PM
If you use openoffice or MS word, they both have a symbols library with all the required symbols. I agree, it's a ball ache typing it out but in the end it's well worth it.

-Valkeye
Mac
June 06, 2006 05:27PM
Here's a solution I discovered while doing some research on discussion forums allowing you to post and generate expressions / math symbols as part of your post.

Arcahic, but totally free (and less than 2.5 Mcool smiley.

Download TextAide (for free (the free standing add-in used in Word to generate math), alone it generates LaTex) and Jarte (you have to see this free word processor to believe its interface - but it works for the current purposes).

Generate your expressions/symbols in TextAide. Copy and paste in Jarte. Save as rtf (it has a doc option, but for me it crashes).

Open in Word and add/edit the rest (Jarte's format options leaves a lot to be desired).

Whoa. No more scanning. Of course you can just install the equation editor add-in in Word and type your math directly there. Depends what you fing easier.

For Office 97, 2000, XP, and 2003, you must use the Add/Remove programs option from the Control Panel to add Equation Editor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login