Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dissapointed with Unisa

Posted by 33487081 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Dissapointed with Unisa
February 02, 2006 08:11PM
I have been a student at Unisa for 4 years now, and I am very disappointed at the lack of service I have experienced this year. After sending a number of emails to different departments for different queries, there has been no reply from any of them.
Anonymous User
Re: Dissapointed with Unisa
February 03, 2006 11:32AM
Oh yeah, goodluck, service has been getting worse and worse over the years. Sometimes you actually have to phone them and get shunted from one person to the next, ringing up your phone bill.

Hope you manage to get sorted though!
February 07, 2006 08:11AM
ye During january it was impossible to phone the Cape Town branch. They didnt have a holding service either. Every single phone would be engaged 24/7. then i would phone pretoria and get "shunted from one person to the next" until finally someone with more than 2 braincells would answer my question.

but im happy now that im registered (the horror is over) and now everything seems to be going just fine :]
lamar
February 20, 2006 02:25PM
Still trying to get registered, i graduated with unisa and now i'm trying to do my postgrad, and it's a mission and a half to be registered, first the center is parow lost my application form and then calling in is just a pain. hopefully tomorow i'll be telling a different story. But i'm definitely not happy with the service.
avatar Re: Dissapointed with Unisa
February 20, 2006 02:36PM
I went to register for my postgrad today and they said I will have to wait another 3 weeks before I can register because 'my supplementary mark hasn't been officially audited by the system yet'.

Ive also been far from happy with unisa lately (since the merger)
Anonymous User
February 21, 2006 10:36AM
Thats weird - I registered for honours and was sent all my stuff etc about a month before I even got told I had graduated.... I knew I had passed my exams but there was originally a problem with my normal BSc cause I got credits pulled over from another varsity...
February 21, 2006 01:31PM
Ergh ;/ And meanwhile all the good project module topics are probably being booked by other people *sigh*
February 21, 2006 05:45PM
Hi, me too, i'm having problems with unisa to be registered... and i am still waiting... i'm supposed to have a provisional registration, but nothing has been done!!!
Hopefully, it's my last year with unisa. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
February 22, 2006 09:54AM
don't worry, I think for honours many people can do the same project topics... its not like you're re-inventing the wheel or anything. And I think most people only do their projects in 2nd (+) year of honours.
February 22, 2006 10:59AM
Actually the projects are limited ive had a look through the tut letter which i downloaded off osprey, and the two im intrested in are limited to 3 and 4 people respectively.

But perhaps you are right maybe there are very few people doing projects this yer ;/
February 23, 2006 09:37AM
Oh well got it all sorted out yesterday, and got most my material while i was there too smiling smiley

I guess with unisa persistance/who you talk to makes a big difference..
February 27, 2006 10:11AM
True, finally got through too. all is sorted, it's about finding the right person to talk to..
Anonymous
February 28, 2006 08:34AM
I have registered early in January and haven't received any feedback from them yet.If I manage to get hold of someone they just transfer me to the next person. To whom do I need to speak to get some results....I am really getting frustrated!!!

Frustrated Student
February 28, 2006 11:11AM
Yeah, apart from general disapointments over the last year or two am also having trouble registering... weird that you can walk in and do it in a day, but if you do it online it takes three weeks and you have no way of knowing whats going on... they were happy to take my money on the first day - and hit my credit card for the whole years fees instead of spreading over the six months I had requested... also getting nasty, cos I can't order textbooks yet either, and its already march!
March 01, 2006 11:18PM
Id recommend going in and handling it in person if at all possible, I learnt my lesson about online registration the first time i tried it...
Telephone is also a waste of time.
March 02, 2006 07:39AM
Am I the only lucky one?
4th year at UNISA, did everything online from day 1, and haven't had any problems. The longest I had to wait for my Tut. letters was a week.
March 02, 2006 01:31PM
I'd quite happily go in to yell at them personally... problem is I will have to sit on a plane for about 22 hours first.... and getting shunted about on the phone would probably cost about the same as a ticket anyway.

Lucky for them I live in Japan, which means I pay double fees for doubly slack service without any recourse. Looks like its going to be yet another year of only getting my textbooks finally around June, and endless amounts of fun getting those first assignments in...
March 02, 2006 01:56PM
I would recommend getting the tut 101's off osprey for all subjects you are plannig on doing, (not all of them seem to be up for the year yet) but some of them are...

That way you can get the textbooks for those subjects in the meantime as well as begin on them, and have less of a catchup problem later in the year.
March 05, 2006 05:09AM
Have got all the tuts, am just a bit hesitant to order textbooks because I'm registering for postgrad and the approval process is a bit more involved... I actually ended up with an extra textbook last year, by ordering books before I'd been fully registered. Things went haywire with my registration (as usual) and by the time I found out I'd passed the registration closing date and they wouldn't hear of adding "extra" subjects then.

To be fair, I have tracked down the issue with my registration finally and for once its not entirely unisa's fault: you need to submit your entire academic record for postgrad registration and the email I sent to UND where I got my first degree was simply ignored, so unisa never recieved the info. Would have been nice if they'd at least let me know though: need the academic record within 10 days - would have thought after 20 days a little reminder or something might have been in order...
March 10, 2006 11:55AM
yay! finally registered!

and remembered why I hesitated ordering my books 6 weeks ago when I downloaded all the tut101s I could lay my hands on... they're all from 2005!!! some even from 2002!

wheeh! I'm gonna recommend studying through unisa to everyone I know.

Of course My registration was changed anyway in the registration process, so the one subject I already had the textbook for is no longer a subject of mine.

out of 5 subjects I did get registered for, only 1 has any material for 2006. First assignments due in 7 weeks or you're out. Thanks guys.

no longer dissapointed, now utterly disgusted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login