Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio OOP

Posted by cmpWizard 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement myUnisa availability 21 to 24 March 2019 03/17/2019 02:24PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Portfolio OOP
September 10, 2013 12:14PM
I was wondering when can we expect the OOP.pdf file? So that we may start with our portfolio.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 10, 2013 02:27PM
It has been available on myUnisa for download since 1 August.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 15, 2013 08:25AM
Where exactly is it placed on myUnisa because the only file I am able to see is the submission procedure pdf file which is on the additional resources.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 16, 2013 07:18AM
Under official study material.
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 18, 2013 08:46AM
Hi Mac/cmpWizard

I don't see the file under official study material or the resources folder.

Please indicate where I can find the file.

Thanx

Farouk
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 18, 2013 08:49AM
Right on top

Study Material

Description File Size Available Since
Tutorial Letter 102 (Both) for ICT3612 100 KB 2013-08-01
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 19, 2013 10:15AM
Thanks, I found it. The tutorial talk of the menu links however I do not see the names of the menu link to used on the steps shown there. Am I correct when I say we append the portfolio to the assignment, so we just add the links of the portfolio to the assignment?
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 19, 2013 10:23AM
Oh Mark since you are at the school of computing I think it would be wise to ask you to tell anyone responsible for the INF3708 communication channels to check that every channel it working properly. Because I tried contacting them by email, telephone and the myUnisa forum. The email address was not found, the phone is engaged and I cant even post on the forum. I would be wise if every module was brought onto osprey.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 19, 2013 10:35AM
Use osprey reg student page as explained in COSALL to see if lecturer is available before you phone (remember that we do not sit in our office the whole day just waiting to answer the phone - lots of meetings, research, community engagement - the list is endless sad smiley ). Also, the School is moving over to Florida this week (PC's are being moved, books are packed, etc) -most old numbers do not work any more, new phones not yet connected, and it will take a week or two to get the Osprey list updated (can only do when it is working). email address not working is not a SoC issue.

The q about the links was answered elsewhere.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 19, 2013 11:51AM
INF3708

There is no problem posting to the INF3708 myUnisa forum.
There are several recent posts within the last few days.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 19, 2013 01:54PM
Thanks Mark, thanks Bigron11. Everything is sorted I found everything I needed.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 22, 2013 09:04PM
Hey Mark, I have read the Tutorial letters for like three times and I don't see where it says which names we should use for the pages created in the step 1 to step 9. Please help me out. Also please tell me, the car class we are suppose to create, should it be on a separate file like car.php or we have to put the class in the pages that require it?
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 07:52AM
@cmpWizard - each section tells you what to name the page... Note tha Bold writing, that has the .php behind it...
that is pretty straight forward.

as for the car.php,
I placed it on a seperate page as, you use it in more then one page, so makes more sense to me.
Else you will need to double up on code
(I might be wrong, but I feel its the smart thing to do)
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 09:31AM
About the links, I have used the names of the page as menu links however on Tut 1 it was clearly specific which names we should you.
I feel that it should have been also specified on Tut 2, to maintain consistency. I just wanted to verify the requirements.

Yeah you are right about the car class being on a separate file, I did it that way but I am prepared to change it if that's no how it's required.
My concern is; if the car class is in a separate file then how will they be able to see the code? Because the is no link required for it.
Unless the just want to see its functionality which will be seen on the other pages.
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 11:17AM
Yes, is not consistant, but if it wasn't specifically pointed out then I am sure you wont lose marks for it

I added the class code in a link on each page it is used
I would sugest you do the same, so that it can be viewed.

I had classes in 2613 and just added an aditional link for each page it was used on.
so sure it will be fine again...

I am just worried as this assignment feels way less complex then 2613 one,
not sure if its just me.... but almost feel like I am missing something.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 02:11PM
> Various menu links – see here under, as presented in steps 1 - 9. You just use the page name as the link e.g. OOP5_select, and add links to additional pages.

I understand the concern that it feel less complicated... but not for everyone. If it is less complicated for you, you have options to make it more complicated: e.g. Alternatively, if you feel up to it, you may rewrite and/or improve the class (you may want to bring in a few more OO-approaches in the $query statements, or redesign the form submission and form handling logic, as examples). Also, upgrade the class in adv calc can mean many things - maybe extend the class?

I have to balance requirements with the general skill level of the group. The majority of students struggle with OOP. For this reason it is more important to ensure that the exercises are constructed in a manner that will allow most students to (at least) understand the very basics of OOP and be in a position to create a useful functional class. Also, OOP is not the start and end of all - one can create complex apps with procedural code, and in some instances OOP may even be an overkill.

With at best 13-16 weeks available it is nearly impossible (the semester system is not good for programming modules sad smiley ) Remember that starting off (ICT2613) appears more complicated - because it is all new. But the knowledge gained there makes OOP at least easier to grasp.

From 2nd semester 2014 portfolio's are scrapped and a new handbook that is used by 150 + universities/training centers worldwide will be used. Very hands on... and it is interesting to note that OOP is only one of 24 chapters....

So, I am happy that a basis is set that will allow you to create complex apps - no course can offer all the proportional knowledge required .
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 03:25PM
@42609852 that's what I asked Mac when we first started this module, that this module seem much lighter than the previous one. But I understand this point.

@Mac I understand your point, a lot of students are finding this module hard. I know the reason why; they do not even attempt to study
because there is no sitting exam so they just use the book for referencing and they miss the main concepts of the language.

About the new handbook that will be introduced next year, its too bad because some of us will be done with the module.

Hey Mac, do you perhaps know which language is used for the BTech? I am thinking for switch to Computer Science. Please advise me. (Any advise will be appreciated)
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 05:12PM
> About the new handbook that will be introduced next year, its too bad because some of us will be done with the module
I can always fail you smiling smiley

>
I know the reason why; they do not even attempt to study
because there is no sitting exam so they just use the book for referencing and they miss the main concepts of the language.
Yes, which I why I am returning to exams. Tired of blatant plagiarism sad smiley

I am not on top of the Btech sorry sad smiley
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 23, 2013 06:14PM
>I can always fail you
My coding will be of such high quality, even if failing me was your ultimate goal in life you would eventually give it up.smile
I have put in to much into this project.

If only we were allow to write exams for the fun of it, maybe I would want to try it.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 26, 2013 04:20PM
Hey Mac, is it me or the design of the 3rd table (availability) in Tut 2 is incorrect?

Firstly the dump does not specify which column will be the primary key. Which in my understanding should be the avail_id
Secondly the primary key cannot have a NULL value or have a defaults value.


I feel that the above should be specified unless I didn't understand the logic.
We might not need avail_id in our coding may be that is why it
hasn't been specified as a primary key and if so then why do we need it?
Unless it is one of the thing we need to improve for the extra marks.
Its a good practice to specify the primary key don't you think?
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 27, 2013 07:55AM
I did not use the avail_id, but i did use the table(to check the availability versus colour). Is up to you to design the database the way you want. let your imagination goes wild and design the database according your code,as long as your program works.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 27, 2013 08:56AM
If you are going to edit/delete information you should have a primary key - which is not the case here. You can redesign if you want (there is space for it as per the tut letter).
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
September 27, 2013 01:42PM
And about the functions and variables, are we allowed to remove or add our own when we improve the class? If yes will how will the marks be allocated for the spaces we need to fill in for a certain function if it is removed?
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
September 27, 2013 02:48PM
The whole idea is to add and rewrite as you want, and we provide a total mark (spaces included) based on what you have produced. It cannot be a matrix because it depends on what you do.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
October 04, 2013 02:28AM
Hey Mac, tell me are we allowed to redesign the table at the end of step 7? The table designed there has a lot of redundant data, based on the instructions given to have 3 cars and 6 colours, The combinations of the cars models and colours will add up to 18 therefore the table will have 18 rows. Why cant we use the car models as column with the first column containing the six colours of the car as rows? In this way we will have a 6 x 4 table which I think will be more convenient than the 19 x 3.
avatar
Mac
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 04, 2013 07:15AM
Assume you want to add new models - then you would have to create a new column for every new model as opposed to just entering the model! Databases can handle zillions of rows.
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
October 04, 2013 09:35PM
I did consider that however I thought we could modify it for the purpose of this portfolio. I will do it the way its required. Thank you!
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 24, 2013 08:58PM
Hi Guys,
Does this mean that we should have 10 menu links on the portfolio alone....excluding those from the assignment (total 14) ?
Just confirming that I am on the right path !

Thanx
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
October 25, 2013 09:58AM
Yes mate, just stick to the portfolio page requirements i.e. we should all have the same number of pages upon submission.

35656735 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Guys,
> Does this mean that we should have 10 menu links
> on the portfolio alone....excluding those from the
> assignment (total 14) ?
> Just confirming that I am on the right path !
>
> Thanx
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 25, 2013 09:27PM
Thanx boet... @37081888
avatar Re: Portfolio OOP
October 28, 2013 02:04PM
I too have 14 pages in total upon completion of the portfolio smiling smiley
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 28, 2013 02:19PM
thumbs up at least i know im on the rite track.....thanx
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 29, 2013 09:13PM
14?
ehhh... ok I dont have that
what am I missing?
Leap, server, validation, OOP_properties, OOP_other,
OOP_constructor, OOP5_select, OOP5_calc, OOP_adv_calc, OOP_static
10 menu links
and then the calcClass and the CarClass
2 classes

thats 12 not counting the index page...?
where you get other 2 from?
Re: Portfolio OOP
October 29, 2013 10:43PM
14...with the 4 assignment pages....didn't count classes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login