Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portfolio Questions

Posted by riaand-77568672 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
March 21, 2013 12:30PM
Good day

Question 1. Can we use any name for the main MySQL database?
I know that the structure must be the same as in the back of the TUT101 letter.

Question 2. What I would also like to know is if we have to give the students read rights so that they can log in and view their profiles but not be able to change it?
March 21, 2013 11:40PM
As far as I know you can call it what you want but I could be wrong.

As for your 2nd question, I think certain information like address, phone number etc should be editable given that those things can change but join date, previous course and pass marks should not be cause lets face it, in the real world people are sneaky.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

I'm not antisocial, I'm just not user friendly

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
Mac
Re: Portfolio Questions
March 22, 2013 08:31AM
From tut letter:

There must be 3 different tables in a “registration” database.. meaning you should call the db registration. Mmm, the wording is a bit confusing. Nevertheless, since you will be including a config file where the db is defined, even if it was something different it is easy to fix for both you and me.
March 22, 2013 09:41AM
Thanks Mac, I'll fix that tonight.

____________________________________________Nazi Coder____________________________________________

"It's not a bug; it's an undocumented feature!" ~ some unknown Microsoft developer
March 22, 2013 10:09AM
since i see is confusing for some of us is permissible Mac to export my database file and include it on the portfolio for your extraction i mean you said you only mark php code so would it be ok to do everything one wishes to make the app better as long they do give you indication and written guide where they put css, javascript, jquery, images, extra tables and etc. maybe be when you know and have documentation of the app it would be easy for you to mark it "correct me if wrong"?
smile

gbakamela [77234715]
Mac
March 22, 2013 01:08PM
No please not... that will require me to install and create users for every database sent to me by all students - I will never have enough hours in the day. Stay within the structure please. As said, no problem if you name it anything else, but name it registration smiling smiley Add you improvements where it concerns a different database structure as explained in tut letter. The rest you can add as you want - I know the difference between CSS and PHP smiling smiley
March 22, 2013 03:42PM
that settle it mac hope everyone understand your concerns and we should focus on what tut letter says thats all

gbakamela [77234715]
March 22, 2013 10:45PM
Good day

Thank you very much for the clarifications.
I am making good progress now. smile
March 26, 2013 02:36PM
Hi.

I am still 3 weeks away to start with my Portfolio. Some catch up to do as I just finished with most of my other assignments.

Are any of you going to use Pseudo code before you start with the portfolio ? "Planning the structure and mapping it out".
Is there any recommended program for Pseudo code or do all just use Word ?

Student Number: 78042879 (Part Time Courses)
March 26, 2013 07:21PM
I normally only do mind mapping for really complicated projects, to be honest I have not used it in 2 years as I normally have a pretty good idea before I start something of how it must look. As this project will be graded by someone that does not have a direct link to my mind spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I suppose I should type up some sort of document but I'll do that afterward.

But as it is your project I'd sy go for it thumbs up

March 27, 2013 12:09PM
Shado77968239 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I normally only do mind mapping for really
> complicated projects, to be honest I have not used
> it in 2 years as I normally have a pretty good
> idea before I start something of how it must look.
> As this project will be graded by someone that
> does not have a direct link to my mind spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I
> suppose I should type up some sort of document but
> I'll do that afterward.
>
> But as it is your project I'd sy go for it thumbs up

thumbs up

Student Number: 78042879 (Part Time Courses)
March 28, 2013 01:06PM
Just came back from a training in manila and I have been studying and going through the notes that were provided. I'm currently busy putting the structure of the portfolio together and soon I'll be starting with the project even though it is easy to put things togethersmile but coding will be a serious problem. eye popping smiley
April 04, 2013 08:36AM
Do we display all columns from the students table in the student_man.php page. The tut only says 'just more than course_man.php' page. What did you guys do?
April 04, 2013 09:14AM
its exactly the same but since student information is more than course information you will have to do more.... more fields.
Mac
April 04, 2013 09:24AM
Yes....
April 05, 2013 10:02AM
I have an textarea to capture the address. I can get text from the textarea:

Language: PHP
$studAdr = ($_POST[';studADR';]);

The textarea in HTML:

Language: HTML
<td rowspan="3"><textarea rows="3" cols="15" name="studADR" value="<?php echo $studAdr; ?>" tabindex="16" ></textarea></td>

But when the form refreshes (because of validation) all the other normal textboxes get their values posted back except for the textarea. I have even tried this:

Language: HTML
<td rowspan="3"><textarea rows="3" cols="15" name="studADR" value="<?php echo nl2br($studAdr); ?>" tabindex="16" ></textarea>

If I echo the variable after validation the data is still in the variable, but it is not posting it back to the textarea. Why??
April 05, 2013 10:26AM
your value should go in between textarea tags.

<td rowspan="3"><textarea rows="3" cols="15" name="studADR" tabindex="16" > <?php echo $studAdr; ?> </textarea></td>

but what if $studAdr IS NOT SET???

make sure you have a if statement to check if you studADR isset.
April 05, 2013 10:45AM
Awesome!! Thanks man!!! It's working now.

77911997 Wrote:
> your value should go in between textarea tags.
>
>
> <td rowspan="3"><textarea rows="3" cols="15" > name="studADR" tabindex="16" > <?php echo > $studAdr; ?> </textarea></td> >
>
> but what if $studAdr IS NOT SET???
>
> make sure you have a if statement to check if you
> studADR isset.
April 09, 2013 05:03PM
Mac
Sno in our table stands for student number or course name
April 09, 2013 11:08PM
Student

78042968 Wrote:
> Mac
> Sno in our table stands for student number or
> course name

April 10, 2013 05:53AM
I understand 78042968's confusion as I immediately thought "Student" as Shado did but in the tutorial letter on page 11 number one on the list is Course Name. Logically it makes sense to be a Student number as both Student number and Course id are referenced in the course_student table as separate fields instead of being the same... to me anyway confused smiley
April 10, 2013 08:34AM
NeoGek - he wouldn't have listed student number there (page 11) because a student number is auto generated, and those are just form fields.

you wont save a course name in a student table, but you will save it on course_student and reference the student table by sno(student number)

sno is definitely student number.
Anonymous User
April 10, 2013 08:54AM
Correct
April 10, 2013 08:56AM
I understand that bud but the tutorial letter says "The student registration page has a form with the following fields." and states Course Name as the first form field. All I'm saying is that "Course Name" should be "Student Number" shouldn't it?
Anonymous User
April 10, 2013 11:17AM
For some reason I cannot post under my name Mac, so TvdM is me....

A form has fields (some people refer to it as elelments).

These fields can be added to your forms:

Text field

Password field

Hidden field

Text area

Check box

Radio button

Drop-down menu

Submit button

Reset button

Image button
It cannot be student number because the student number is only created after the form has been submitted.
April 10, 2013 12:11PM
Ok, so if I understand you Mac, the Student Number should not be on the Student Registration form because the administrator is not giving the student number as it's "generated by the database" like the cid is when adding a course?
Mac
April 10, 2013 12:45PM
Yes, exactly. It is an auto-increment number that is generated when the student information is added to the db. That is how it should work.
April 11, 2013 06:20PM
what is the config file and what it does. i have done a lot on my portfolio only few things left
April 11, 2013 06:47PM
Your config file holds your database connection info.

Bear inmind that Mac will have to import your database onto his server so to make it easier for him only put your username and password in this file.

Mac
April 12, 2013 10:27AM
Yes, without that config file I cannot mark your portfolio. Well, I can BUT it will require me to change your connection details on every page, which means I will mark for ever, and I cannot mark forever sad smiley

I am closing this topic as it is becoming too long. Please start new descriptive topics e.g. config file. Portfolio questions is too wide.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.