Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

contact_flag

Posted by Riaz 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
August 17, 2011 03:51PM
Hi,

Is the "contact_flag" field in the student table meant for the "share your information" checkbox ?

On the registration form we need to also have a checkbox where the user can tick to share their information or not.

Do we set the contact_flag depending on that selection of the checkbox ?

Also, whats the difference between the PHP semester course and the ICT2613 course smiling smiley just wondering.

Thanks
Mac
Re: contact_flag
August 18, 2011 07:19AM
Yes to the first question.

The ICT course uses the same introduction, but there it stops. Their portfolio requirement is different, they work on a live server, and in the follow-up year they do OO.
August 18, 2011 07:41AM
Thanks for explaining mac thumbs up
August 23, 2011 06:49PM
So if the check box is ticked, an email will be sent to all classmates and a confirmation email to the registrar
and if it is not ticked only a confirmation email will be sent?

sorry I wanna make sure i understand this 100 percent
Mac
August 24, 2011 07:32AM
The tick box means the student gives permission for his information to be shared with classmates. How you use it is up to you. Ask yourself this though - willI as a student want to receive email upon email with a students contact information?
August 24, 2011 09:14AM
...maybe an option by student/s that requests for other classmate contact info at one go rather than receiving an email after email.....(just a thought)
August 25, 2011 09:01AM
Would be cool if there's another page where the student can enter his/her student number then after submitting, there's a list of course's he/she is currently registered for, then by selecting a course the student can view his/her classmates. smiling smiley

if sending emails is not properly queued you can have slow email sending, and sending email after email will definitely slow the server.

And if I'm not mistaken we get extra marks for additional features that make the system better smile

student no: 77315138
August 25, 2011 09:11AM
I'm a bit confused.
Should the application not be written from the prespective of an administrator?
Riaz, I think your idea is good, but is it from the prespective of an adminitrator?

I can be wrong, but I just want to make sure I understand what is expected of us.
August 25, 2011 09:33AM
Hi Chantal,

Yes the application has to be written from the perspective of an administrator, I was just throwing out ways of accomplishing this.

I'm not sure if Mac would allow us to do what I suggested though hehe

... but then again it could work both ways.... Currently the administrators can view students that are registered for specific courses, what if they want to find out what is Riaz
registered for, they simply type in my student number and *Poof* my course listings smiling smiley, you just give students and admins access to this page.

There's a lot of Yes and No's come to my mind regarding this... there's a lot of advantages and disadvantages of this. I can go on but don't want to write an essay

student no: 77315138
August 25, 2011 09:36AM
ah, i understand!
Thank you for explaining.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login