Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

portfolio

Posted by claricha-72980281 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
portfolio
February 18, 2011 09:35AM
this is going to sound really stupid but how does the portfolio work if your in for the short course? when do you do it and what is the due date????confused smiley
Re: portfolio
February 18, 2011 11:31AM
Read through your Tut101 letter again. It explains what you need to do and also tells you that the due date will be "posted/confirmed on the forum.
I recieved a letter stipulating that Assignment 1 needs to be in by 2011-03-14 and then a second due date which is 2011-05-06, which I assume is the
due date for the port-folio.
March 07, 2011 04:05PM
I don't think the information given for the portfolio is enough for eight web pages. Or can we come up with our own? I mean can one just use any other information not related to our studies as long as we used html, styles and JavaScript learned from the course?
Mac
March 08, 2011 07:03AM
You add 8 pages whatever you want.
March 08, 2011 12:14PM
Thanks Mac. smiling smiley
March 09, 2011 07:33AM
If you have a fulltime career like me, then my advice is to use your career(job) when doing your portfolio.
March 09, 2011 09:10PM
Content for a website should be easy enough to find. There is enough online. I would be very careful though to use ONLY the content. When you are given a web project to do, your client would need to provide you with the content for it so I don't think the focus is that, as long as you include what you are required to show.

Having said that, depending on the subject, your graphics should be suitable. eg. you would never redo the Ceres website, for example, in black and white. Ceres being fruit juice, I would imagine would be fruity happy colours. Just my thoughts. Ask around and you will find plenty of people with "something" that they have been meaning to put online and never got around to doing. I have the basic structure for my portfolio now in place, been sweating over that for a few days! On to the rest of the Lessons!
March 11, 2011 05:33PM
March 11, 2011 05:34PM
Here's another stuped question, but am I allowed to use my job as a subject to do my portfolio?confused smiley
March 12, 2011 12:33PM
Hi, I assume so and I am definitely going to! I know the job, what to use as advertising, what is wanted or required from the customer and what we want to know about the customer. I feel it is very suitable to do something you know something about!

Good luck and enjoy!
March 13, 2011 09:41AM
Thanx bru. good luck to you too and enjoy. smileys with beer
March 13, 2011 05:55PM
Believe is gonna be lot of work for assignment 2. About to start, assignment one submitted.

Guys i neeed clarity, after submmiting Assignment 2 does that mean you done? or there is gonna be final examination?
March 13, 2011 06:52PM
The portfolio is the final assignment. We don't have an examination. smiling smiley
March 13, 2011 07:31PM
I'm just curious about the portfolio, ok software eg. Dreamweaver plays a big part in creating web pages, will we lose marks if we use software rather than the creating the HTML code itself?
Mac
March 14, 2011 07:14AM
I want you to code it - not an application.... there are some online sites where you click a single button and your whole site is generated for you. And I had student submitting this as their portfolio. The got zero.

You can use the dreamweaver editor to code in. You can use it to help you create tables and basics like that. But you should understand how it is done. E.g. you can insert an image with DW, but if you do not understand image paths and that DW inserts the full path to a folder on your PC, then do not expect support when you upload to the server...!
March 14, 2011 08:02AM
ok Mac, thanks for clearing that up and I agree it is better to code it and understand the code so we will learn and know in the future, then we can really call ourselves genuine web designers.
March 17, 2011 03:34PM
I am currently working at a caravan park/ private club. Will I be allowed to make an advertisibg website for the caravan park as my portfolio, and am I allowed to use some of the pictures from their existing website?
March 17, 2011 11:31PM
Hello Fellow Web Designers,

I am the creative writing type - I'm thinking of creating maybe poetry of interesting writing pieces supported by applicable graphics - etcetera - I don't know yet! But, something like that! I wonder if this is okay?

Anyway, I found an intereting Website that gives you some manual tags (codes that you need to type in) for various things like font and so on .......take a look at it for some ideas on manual coding...it may help if you get stuck! smile

http://www.web-source.net/html_codes_chart.htm

They include an entire table of manual input HTML codes - they might be useful!!
March 17, 2011 11:36PM
Sorry!

I forgot to mention that I plan to include my own writing pieces and not the writing of others - I don't want to violate any copyright laws! drinking smiley

Anyway, Good Luck to everyone with their final portfolio!smile
March 18, 2011 02:25PM
same to you, and thanx for the handy website. smileys with beer
March 22, 2011 10:35AM
Richard I got permission from a friend of mine to use the content from her site. I am treating her like a client and expect feedback from her. I have to reuse certain images eg the logo and include all the content that it currently features.

I have no doubt that since you will be doing "something for nothing" for your employer that they will most likely be delighted. If you can get their buy in on your project, you could find out from them what they require to be included, what you can toss and so on. Good Luck!
March 23, 2011 09:46AM
Thank you Rowena. good luck to you too.
March 24, 2011 02:37PM
It sounds if all of you are well on your way. I would like to know if we have to use the domain we registered for the first assignment to complete our portfolio, as I already have a running website and would like to enter that as my portfolio after some tweaking on completion of this course.

Good luck to you all!
March 24, 2011 02:47PM
This will replace your first assignment unless if you are going to add something and leave the first information (assignment) untouched!
March 27, 2011 02:05AM
For anyone who might be interested, I have managed quite a lot of work on my portfolio. You can view it from http://rowena.eu5.org/index.html

Don't forget to check out the source code if you want to know how some things have been put together .... Obviously this is a "work in progress' at this stage so it will change.
March 29, 2011 09:45AM
Wow! Rowena thats really looking amazing! How long has this taken you?

You have really inspired me to get on top of mine now- unfortunately I'm still woking my way through the text book. Did you design it as you went through the text book or did you complete the text book first?

I noticed that on the "rules" and "call center" pages the text was on the left of the page over-lapping some of the images and making it hard to read - I know its still a work in progress but just thought I'd point it out and try to help - hope I'm not over stepping any boundaries!

Really awesome job!!! Congrats! And thanks for sharing.
March 29, 2011 01:07PM
Thanks Krystle and no you are not overstepping boundaries at all. smile Thanks for the heads up. As you can see I posted that link at 2:05am and had been trying to get it as close to finished as possible. I will check those two pages when I get home from work smile

I started the site while I was still going through the book. I had an idea so started working on it at the same time, I think while I was still going through the CSS section ... It also gave me an alternate play area while I was going through the tutorials, which is why some stuff is not quite done.I still have to check, check and recheck everything.

As a matter of interest, what browser are you using and what is your screen resolution? I know your screen resolution must be bigger than 800 x 600 because at that resolution those images are invisible.
March 29, 2011 06:20PM
Thanks Krystle!!! I was fiddling with the style sheet last night and managed to mess up. In fact all my pages were out of wack. It should be fixed now smiling smiley That is what you get for trying to work on stuff when it is late and you are already tired. Hehe
March 30, 2011 05:58AM
Hey Rowena,

The browser I'm using is Safari (its a mac thing I think) and the resolution I was viewing it at was 1440 x 900. I went and looked again now and everything seems to be in great working order. I can read all your text and its not overlapping the images.

Now get some rest and stop making the rest of us look bad tongue sticking out smiley
March 30, 2011 10:47AM
Hi Guys

For you who are interested you welcome to look at my web presence site at [http://rodent.eu5.org/frank73026239/webpresencehome.html]. What I did was to look at some example site's provided on our handbook CD as well as example site's online, for example of websites. I used some of the idea's from the websites I looked at, and did a softcopy mockup of my site on powerpoint first, each of the pages separately until I came up with a concept for the site. I also looked at the source of sites to see how they were structured for tips and then experimented and applied some of those principles (with my limited knowledge of html). I imported the html into Kompozer to view the results and to assist with some structuring and the writing of html.

As a tip, from my experience with clients and coding and software programming in general........separate the design from what you want to achieve aesthetically i.e. the look and feel from the technical aspects first. The look and feel should be what you want to convey, be easy to use, have content and colours that are clear and appealing, usable etc. If you dealing with a client do mockups in word or powerpoint or the like (even on paper) a single page per web page and then first get agreement on the content, page flows and look and feel (colours, font etc.) and then once signed off or accepted or agreed on, start writing the html, designing the style sheets and scripts. It can also be beneficial at this stage to share the design (mockup/s) with someone (who proxies as a user) to test that the look and feel works. The main reason for this is that you want to have a definite plan for your prototype (signed off design) otherwise your client will (in my experience) continously request changes - and this may just put you under a lot of pressure to meet deadlines. It will also allow you to apply your knowledge incrementally and see the results against what you want or were planning to achieve, this helps with the learning process (and is similar to the process used in the handbook)... Hope this helps..............
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login