Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam

Posted by LizzieNairn 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam
January 28, 2011 03:00PM
Seriously, I am trying to send an email to the email address we have been given, it keeps blocking it for some reason. I am using my MyLife email address, I am trying to find out if anyone know if this exam is an open or closed book exam... It would be fantastic if I could get a reply from someone... Please can someone help!?!
T
Re: Exam
February 14, 2011 12:04PM
Hi the exam is a closed book exam . How is the studying going?
T
February 14, 2011 02:22PM
Hi in last year’s exam they asked to calculate the mean and median and SD etcetera, but on my exam paper it says no calculator. Is that correct? I am not sure I can calculate the SD without a calculator.confused smiley
February 14, 2011 02:41PM
Hi T
The mean is average, and mediam is the middle result. Have a look at pg 255 and 254 of you text book, they have a good example.
T
February 14, 2011 02:55PM
Hi,

Yes I know the meaning of it; it is the calculations that I have a problem with and the fact that we cannot use a calculator. When you have to calculate the SD you have to find the square root, and with no calculator I am going to lose point.

I think most of the questions are going to come form chapters 1-3 and 13-18, what do you think?
February 14, 2011 03:04PM
Dont worry i am sure they wont ask very difficult questions with regards to that..
I think I agree with you....
February 14, 2011 03:38PM
I see in the 2009 exam letter, for that year, the lecturer only asked for Definitions from Chapters 8 -12, but this year we have to define it, and give characteristics, data collection techniques and adv and disad. There is alot more work to cover this year than in the 2010 exams.

Considering we have to learn more, do you still think the bulk of the questions will come out from CH 13-18?

There is so much to remember, and it's struggling trying to keep all the information in smile. So i'm trying to narrow down the amount of memorising to do.

PS : I'm from the COS462 module but there is no activity of the forum so i decided to check the INF one out instead....
T
February 14, 2011 03:47PM
Hi
Yes there is a lot of work to cover, so I am focusing on the chapters that are specified as included in exam , and then trying to remember the def. of the other chapters and well as the advantages and disadvantages. Not too sure about the characteristics, what are the characteristics of a survey? And then just trying to get a broad idea of the data collection methods for each .
February 14, 2011 04:20PM
can you send me your exam tutorial letter 103? Reason is mine from cos has all chapters to learn , except 4 and 5 which is basically everything. I also have in the comments a breakdown of ch 7 to 12 which breaks down what to learn...

My email chettyn@gmail.com
February 14, 2011 04:40PM
There are a lot of lists to remember...strugling to keep my self motivated after list number 20...
It would make sense to memorise these lists if the exam was multiple choice...but it's not.

I don't know how they plan to ask this in exam.

Wish they would take it back to multiple choice questions...tbh.
February 14, 2011 04:48PM
I agree completely. The work does not look hard, but there are so many possible things they could ask that it's difficult to know it all, this exam should either be open book or MCQ, because when we do a project anyways we will have the textbook as a reference, and would never need to memorise most of this stuff...
T
February 14, 2011 06:16PM
well all that we can do is study and study some more , good luck !hot smiley
February 15, 2011 10:25AM
Got this from previous phorum posts:

systematic vs participant advantage/disadvantage
what is grounded theory
know you triangulations
literature review (14marks)
mean,median,avg,range, standard deviation (did not do the SDeviation)
reasons for doing research (8marks)
February 15, 2011 10:27AM
Also this was stated in Bold in the tuturial letter:
Note that the assignments should form an integral part of your examination preparation.
February 15, 2011 10:36AM
Benchmarking is the process of comparing one's business processes and performance metrics to industry bests and/or best practices from other industries. Dimensions typically measured are quality, time and cost.

How is this relevant to research?

Comparing research types?
February 15, 2011 10:49AM
hi riaan

is your first posting now not directly related to the 2010 past paper that we have? It looks almost identical.
February 15, 2011 11:25AM
I did this last year, and it was easier than I expected it to be.

The one question I remember, that I did not do so well in, was to describe the "stages" of a lit. review, or something like that.
The rest was pretty straight forward.
February 15, 2011 11:32AM
ah didn't see it was available for download...my bad.
February 15, 2011 12:03PM
hi riaan

the previous paper does give insight into the types of questions to be asked. Im contemplating how much off chapters 7 to 12 will come out. There is just so much to learn. i think there was much less to learn last year.
February 15, 2011 02:53PM
my guess is only the areas as defined in exam tut...and not even complete lists...there is just to much information for entire lists (see last years exam - name 4 when there are 10 ) ...for 100 marks.

so per chapter either:
def.
characteristics
data col.
adv.
disadv.

one or more of above...and only this. (not how to conduct a experiment for instance.)

thats my guess...but i'm studying everything just to be sure.

and for chapter 17 and 18 similar questions to last years question paper...to work out mean, SD, etc.
February 15, 2011 02:55PM
this should be open book, or multiple choice TBH.
February 15, 2011 03:04PM
Hi Riaan

I agree with you, that is what i am learning also. Otherwise you can go around in circle adding more and more to what you need to learn...
February 15, 2011 04:51PM
what's weird is they mention spesificaly certain chapters
def.
adv.
disadv.
when all of them have it.

why mention it, when it is in anyway included in chapers like 13 - 18...for wich they mention nothing.
February 15, 2011 05:01PM
also they mention studying assignments...

Question 3 of Assignment 1 is almost similar to last years exam. (part of it)
also 7.7

I can see Questoin 1 of Assignment 2 in a exam....
also 3.1

also Question 1 Assignment 3
February 16, 2011 04:47AM
goodluck to everyone writing today!
February 16, 2011 02:18PM
RiaanR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my guess is only the areas as defined in exam
> tut...and not even complete lists...there is just
> to much information for entire lists (see last
> years exam - name 4 when there are 10 ) ...for 100
> marks.
>
> so per chapter either:
> def.
> characteristics
> data col.
> adv.
> disadv.
>
> one or more of above...and only this. (not how to
> conduct a experiment for instance.)
>
> thats my guess...but i'm studying everything just
> to be sure.
>
> and for chapter 17 and 18 similar questions to
> last years question paper...to work out mean, SD,
> etc.

Pity I didn't know this before the exam...

And...how was it?
Was fairly straight forward.

Lit review..14 marks. nice I'll take it.
and the above 20 marks....i'll take it.

weird 2 point question on how to access unisa lib.
T
February 16, 2011 02:27PM
Hi Riaan

Yes the exam was better that what I expected, but it was still a lot of work to study! are you perhaps writing project management on thursday 24 feb?
February 16, 2011 06:45PM
I agree T... did you see that we did not really require a calculator smiling smiley... I enjoyed the exam
March 29, 2011 12:28PM
Hi T,
I dont know if you will still read this email but I need to find out from you about the project management exam and the inf462t exam.I would like assistance as to what came out of the exam in Jan feb 2011 exams.I will be writing these exams later this year.
I will understand if you don't remember.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login