Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam
November 03, 2006 12:01PM
Hi Think it was quite tough, but still fair.

The multiple choice questions were the hardest...

of course the CPM one also required lots of concentration...
Re: Exam
November 03, 2006 12:28PM
Yeah the multiple choice was a killer.

The other ones seemed really easy to me.

Overall much better than I expected. smiling smiley

That's it for me. I'm outta here.
November 03, 2006 12:44PM
The multiple choice was really difficult, subtle differences between options.

The rest was ok.

I just realised that I worked out the last question with days, were the people rates in days or hours?
November 03, 2006 12:53PM
They were in days.

I was like "hmm they're not getting paid a lot are they"... haha

But those were days.

R300 a day.
R400 a day.

I thought that was a bit easy for 14 points.
November 03, 2006 01:00PM
I kept on thinking I was missing something for the last question as the point allocation was rather high. The diagram was only 9 points and took me forever to do but this question only took 5 minutes.

What a relief it was days, thought I threw away free points.
November 03, 2006 01:15PM
Super intelligent me...I went and changed the Payback formula to (payback-1)+ instead of -.After originally having it right and doing the first question. Luckily the answer for the first question remains the same i.e. 4, which was also the quickest payback. Threw marks away there!!!!

Rest of the paper was not too bad at all.
November 03, 2006 01:55PM
I thought it was *too* easy ...

I obviously must have missed something

Sigh. Will see when the results come out.

--
Learn something new - updated weekly
November 03, 2006 02:01PM
I got a NPV for project b of -R80000 odd. Is this correct or did I stuff up big time?
November 03, 2006 03:49PM
Carl wrote:
>
> I got a NPV for project b of -R80000 odd. Is this correct or did
> I stuff up big time?

IIRC, I got something like that as well; it seems reasonable
under the circumstances (12% compounded annually is a *lot*
more than people think).

As regards the M/C - I figured I only got 3 wrong ...
Now reading the comments I'm getting a little worried. Was
my knowledge so small that I was not even able to tell
that I was clueless?

Does no one else feel that it was too easy?

In that case, I may have actually failed, thinking it
an easy paper :-(

--
Learn something new - updated weekly
November 03, 2006 04:20PM
goose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
> Now reading the comments I'm getting a little
> worried. Was
> my knowledge so small that I was not even able to
> tell
> that I was clueless?
>
> Does no one else feel that it was too easy?
>
> In that case, I may have actually failed, thinking
> it
> an easy paper :-(

I must agree with you Goose, it felt a bit too easy (except for the multiple choice) and I'm also wondering if I totally missed the boat.

I kept expecting another INF305 with all the lists in the textbook but they didn't even ask any, they just gave us the answers and asked us to explain.
November 03, 2006 04:55PM
I agree on the "easiness" factor, that's why I checked that NPV, I feel like I must've missed something somewhere. Maybe we were just better prepared than we think. If you look at the text book and the assignements, if you grasp the practical stuff, there is not really that much to it, unless you want to create a theoretical nightmare by using the 305 analogy:What are the steps of planning, what are the elements of management,what are the components of an activity...

Personally, I think the paper was a fair representation of what is expected from a person in practice, and that is ultimatelly where you are supposed to apply this "new found knowledge"

My hat's of to the examiners.
November 03, 2006 04:58PM
I agree - at the end I kept turning pages, looking for the hard question on COCOMO or IFPUG/Mark II that I was convinced was going to be there!
But overall I thought it was a fair paper. It covered a lot of material, and apart from the MCQ it was straightforward.
November 03, 2006 05:02PM
Where's the Indian guy I spoke to before we wrote the exam in Pretoria? He was kind enough to point out to me that I had left my calculator in the car.Since we had already sat down I had to rush out to the parking lot to get it. It would have been a monumental disaster if he had not asked me where it was!!!
November 03, 2006 06:10PM
Well, I thought this was a good exam. The MCQ was unreal - i really dont know how I did on that. I spent around an hour on Question 3, and I forgot the payback formula, and couldnt work on the NPV's for Q2. I got the ROI bit right though! Got most of q3 right, most of q4, all of q5, and Q6 was just a nice bonus.

If you think about it, this was a really fair exam. The MCQ tested your understanding of the terms, there was a fair bit of practical in their (drawing activity networks) we were tested on formulas, some theory around models and risk. A really well done exam.

I think after INF305 all of us have been freaking out and overcompensating for the other exams. INF305 was the first INF exam of the year, and after "finishing" that in 1 hour and 15 minutes, I was really concerned about the rest. Nice one.
November 03, 2006 06:18PM
And I just wanted to add that I really prefer having my understanding tested as opposed to being forced to memorise lists! A good example was Question 5 asking us to explain the risk, as opposed to just listing some points.
November 04, 2006 04:16PM
I thought it was fair. Finished it in 1.5 hours, and there were ppl doing it in even less time. MCQ was hard, but fair.

after inf305 I stressed like hell for each exam but inf303 inf308 were all normal exams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login