Registered: 14 years ago
COLLEGE OF SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
Module title: Ethical ICTs for development solutions
Students who successfully complete this module will be able to present critical arguments around ICTs for development. They will appreciate ethical dimensions within an information society in relation to copyright, intellectual property rights, privacy and general conduct. In addition, successful students will be able to demonstrate their ability to maintain efficient, organised and secure electronic working environments by managing digital files, systems and application software. They will also develop capabilities to engage with textual and numerical data and to present such information in various formats.
UNISA is the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education. In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting applications for services as Online Teaching Assistants on an independent contract basis.
As an Independent Contractor you will:
• Not be regarded as an employee
• Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical, office space, equipment, leave (including sick leave), etc in terms of the UNISA’s conditions of service.
• Provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own internet access and any other office-related equipment.
• Not be based at a Unisa campus or any location linked to the University
• Work on your own time in completing teaching tasks online for a minimum of 20 hours a week (e.g. marking of assignments, interacting with students on discussion forums, sending emails, etc). These hours should preferably be spread over a few days per week
Teaching Assistants will have the following duties:
1. Familiarise yourself online with the subject content of the course
2. Familiarise yourself online with the pedagogical approach followed to teach the course
3. Familiarise yourself online with the myUnisa learning platform
4. Monitor student online learning for up to 300 students
5. Facilitate subject-related student online discussions
6. Mark (grade) student online assignments
7. Give feedback on student online assignments
8. Respond online to student queries
9. Provide student support online
10. Participate in online teaching assistant training sessions
11. Interact frequently online with the lead lecturer
12. Fulfil administrative tasks relating to Teaching Assistants
Mandatory attendance and participation in one contact Teaching Assistant training session (where contracts will be signed). Transport to training venue and accommodation in Pretoria will be for your own cost
ANY relevant degree in Computer Science/Information System/Information Technology or related qualification from NQF level 7
At least three years experience as a practitioner in a professional field using computer technology
To be considered as an independent contractor Teaching Assistant, applicants must apply online, reside in South Africa and not currently be employed permanently by Unisa.
Applicants must supply certified copies of their highest qualification as well as ID document/passport, with valid residential permit and comprehensive CV. They must also meet the requirements below:
-Ongoing access to an internet connected computer (20 hours/week minimum)
-Ongoing access to the internet at own cost
-Own copies of software packages that may be required for teaching e.g. Internet browsers, Word processing
-Advanced computer skills i.e. no training will be provided in using software packages, Internet sites or email.
-Commitment to meeting deadlines and a passion for student-centered learning
-Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English (all student communication will be text based writing by email, forums or assignment feedback documents)
-Being a former Unisa student would be an advantage owing to operational knowledge of the myUnisa platform.
-Teaching experience will be an advantage.
Please clarify in your CV the nature of your computer and internet connection; the nature of the software packages installed on your computer; the nature of your computer skills and knowledge of software packages; the nature of your knowledge of myUnisa; and the nature of your teaching experience.
To apply, complete the online application form on: https://irec.unisa.ac.za:4443. The completed online application form must be accompanied by the following documents: (attachments)
1. A comprehensive curriculum vitae
2. Certified copy (within the previous six months) of highest educational qualification
3. Certified copy (within the previous six months) of your identity document/passport residential permit
4. Proof of SAQA verification of foreign qualifications
5. Academic record/transcript to be certified by relevant Institution
UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant. Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered.
Monthly remuneration: R11 135.00
Closing Date: 01 April 2016
Assumption of duty: Online training will commence 3rd May 2016; Contracts will be effected from 1st July 2016
UNISA reserves the right not to make an appointment and correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. If you have not been contacted within 4 months after the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was not successful.