Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tutorial letter 101

Posted by basicgerm 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement myUnisa availability 21 to 24 March 2019 03/17/2019 02:24PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
January 12, 2009 06:53AM
hi, mine is in afrikaans on the toasted disc you get with registration. i hope they wont send an afrikaans hard copy course i'll flip. anyway, anyconfused smileyone know where to get one in english or at least tell me what the prescribed book is so i can start looking for good deals

----------------------------------------
at the sound of "apartheid" / "racism": defensive, defensive, defensive, ... makes one think
> ... "wow Shaka, this land is huge and... and... oh my Ancestors! are those children?"
Re: tutorial letter 101
January 12, 2009 11:21AM
Howzit, things are a bit slow on this module, I got something from My Unisa though, you would need to create an account to get to the downloads section for the various modules you registered for. I have something called Tutorial Letter 301 and have been constantly monitoring myUnisa for more and haven't gotten anything as yet. URL:https://my.unisa.ac.za/portal.

Hope that helps.
January 12, 2009 11:29AM
The prescribed book is called:
Title Fundamentals of Business Information Systems
Author Stair, S., Reynolds, G. & Chesney,T
Year Published 2008
Edition 1 ed
Publisher Cengage Learning

Tx
January 13, 2009 12:01AM
Hi, I'm so frustrated with this module so far, seeing as i have not received a single piece of information concerning INF105, I registered in November and still I don't have ANY tut letters specific to this module. I haven't got a clue what is waiting for me!!! Is it just the luck of this module??
January 13, 2009 08:04AM
I'm getting worried, I had adopted the wait and see attitude, maybe its time we initiated communication with the lecturer about this one.
January 13, 2009 11:21AM
Did this module last year and all you need to do is learn your text book like a parrot. Its all just theory. The totorial letters had nothing of real interest in them. Just try and work through the book twice before your exams and do all your assignments.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
January 13, 2009 10:21PM
Yeah well that might be the only option at this moment. Maybe they will give us online tutions while we don't have any other material.

Thanx donza...that information at least relieves alot of pressure. If it aint to much practical work then its great!!
January 17, 2009 08:10PM
Practical work ... you do not even do a 1 +1 = 10 in here. Just lots of theory and acronyms. Read and learn the case studies.

The book is excellent and their is no need for tuition or guidance. It has stacks of info (jargon and case studies) that are used everyday in IT. I was glad I did the module as being in IT and not understanding the diff between CRM vs MIDDLEWARE when your trying to solve a problem is embarrassing.

BTW: The entire exam is multiple choice and they ask everything in the book. Spend a lot of time on the last few chapters (especially database).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
January 21, 2009 10:54AM
oi, thanx a lot for the info. the only bummer is that it is impossible to get a second hand of this book as it's not the one used last year. now i have to fork out my last cents for it. anyway, the way you speak of it sounds like it'l be a good investment even for future refence. so i gauess i'll not be selling it. has anyone found a bookshop that sells it for less than R395.95?

smileys with beer

----------------------------------------
at the sound of "apartheid" / "racism": defensive, defensive, defensive, ... makes one think
> ... "wow Shaka, this land is huge and... and... oh my Ancestors! are those children?"
January 30, 2009 03:34PM
Hellp People,

i am now way beyond frustration with unisa as a whole. i still have not received anything from them - as in absolute zero.anyone know where i can download the study guide. i have tried that osprey page and could not find it there. i have tried asking help from these people but it just goes thru deaf ears.

someone help pls
Kj
January 30, 2009 05:56PM
Patti I believe there is only the Cosall available for INF1059 and the prescribed text book. You can downlaod the tutorial letter COSALL from http://My.unisa.ac.za website.

When Tutioral letter 101 available I'm sure that it will be downlaodable from the My.unisa website.
January 30, 2009 09:44PM
Patti, I've had the tut letter for ages, but I think I first downloaded a copy from MyUnisa. Can't find it anywhere on my disk, so maybe I'm imagining things. If they're posting it, it ought to be available at MyUnisa. Have you looked there? The Cosall tut letter is pretty useless for getting on with things. Maybe in the spirit of good netizenship I should transcribe some questions from Assignment 1? No ways am I prepared to do this for all 50, but many hands make light work, so here goes:
(Please not, I make no warranties as to the accuracy of this transcription).

Assignment 1
Q1.
A software sales office is given a specific objective of contacting at least 50 Apple computer users each day. This objective can be considered a(n) ...
1. efficiency measure
2. system performance objective
3. effectiveness measure
4. strategic objective

Q2.
Processing does NOT include ___________
1. making calculations
2.comparing data and taking alternative actions
3. storing data for future use
4. entering of data

Q3.
Xena Pharmacists require information that is error free and not overloaded. Such information should be ____ .
1. simple and economical
2. flexible and verifiable
3. verifiable and secure
4. accurate and simple

Q4.
Which component of the computer-based information system would a library utilize to store information about all of the books, journals, and periodicals that are available in the library?
1. hardware
2. system software
3. networks
4. database

Q5.
Which one of the following would a company utilize in order to review its vacation policies?
1. The Internet
2. An Intranet
3. An Extranet
4. None of the above

OK that's my little typing practice session over for the evening. Next, please!
February 01, 2009 09:03AM
Hi patti,

I downloaded Tut let 101 from osprey.. it states that there is no guide for this module. I got the textbook over the weekend and can see why there is no use for a guide. It is pretty good.
Just buy the textbook, I found unisabooksonline to be the cheapest and the most effecient (van schaiks had some issues and couldn't help me online...incompetence).

The prescribed book is:
Title: Fundamentals of Business Information Systems
Authors: Ralph Stair, George Reynolds and Thomas Chesney
Publisher: Cengage Learning EMEA
Edition: First Edition
Date of Publication: 2008
ISBN: ISBN-13: 9781408008843
February 11, 2009 03:55PM
Hi all. I was also quite confused about the whole Unisa system, but I'm getting to grips with it.

Taking BSc Computer Engineering (software engineering stream) I have 1 math subject and 4 computer-related subjects for this semester. I've noticed that everything I need for math is available via myUNISA and the prescribed book.

For the computer subjects (such as INF1059) however, only a small part of the material seems to be available via myUnisa. Rather, you can download tons from the school of computing portal: osprey.unisa.ac.za (CEM101A is a notable exception though -- it doesn't use osprey).

The neccesary tut letters (which contain the assignments!) and lots of other stuff is available from the osprey downloads section (just search around on your osprey page after selecting your subjects. you reach this page by the "registered students" link on the osprey main page) The password and username for accessing the downloads section can be found in the COSALLF/301/4/2009 tutorial letter, which is available from myUnisa.

As far as I know, the tutorial letters are the only way to get the assignment questions. Hint: inf1059's tut letter has the filename I105E101-2009.zip. If you can't find the osprey downloads section for it, then this shortcut could help.

Of course, the prescribed books are also essential.
Hope this helps. Slimkind
February 13, 2009 05:11PM
But i dont have anything, know the wsorse part is my unisa is off today.
Pls email me the username and password
Patricias@sassa.gov.za

Thanks
May 06, 2009 11:23AM
So....

Are there other assignment for INF105-9 except for 1&2.confused smiley
i am "joseph setati" on facebook from South Africa in Polokwane
past question papers
May 09, 2009 04:54PM
hello guys, anyone with past question papers?
0839778893 or mail to zwivhuya@mtnloaded.co.za
Re: past question papers
October 14, 2009 06:20PM
where u able to the the question paper is u did please send it to me aswell
at pportia@webmail.co.za
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login