Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final Prac

Posted by justinleafwright 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement : Programming Students at UNISA School of Computing 06/19/2019 02:01PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Final Prac
September 10, 2008 04:09PM
Good Day,

Want to start up my final prac and get it going...

Does anyone have any ideas on what a "Switchboard Interface" of links would be like?

Regards

Justin Leaf-Wright

www.leafydesignz.co.za

confused smiley
Re: Final Prac
September 17, 2008 12:28AM
Am I looking in the wrong place? I cannot find the place where I can download the final prac. Can someone help?

JB
September 17, 2008 12:40AM
sorry I spoke a few minutes too soon. I have found the prac.

JB
September 17, 2008 09:05AM
Hi,

Just in case others are having difficulty finding the Final Prac doc to download, this link will take you to it.

Edited by Mac: Uh no.... The addres is in your welcoming letter, or email me if your dog ate it. I do not want it advertised here for various reasons smiling smiley

Regards

Justin Leaf-Wright

www.leafydesignz.co.za

hot smiley
Anonymous User
September 17, 2008 03:21PM
I guess everybody should be able to download the final prac.

You can find it on the homepage of this course under

Edited Mac:
Well Iris, these forums are in the open domain, i.e. anyone (including John Doe who lives in Karakatoa can access these forums. Therefore we protect the copyright of our course material (forced upon by Unisa, with right) by NOT publishing the course download web page on these forums. That is why we send out a welcoming letter with this information to students that have paid their course fees. The obvious route from here is to protect our download directory by logins and passwords. However, from our experience, this creates a huge amount of administration because people do not read their tut letters smiling smiley
September 26, 2008 11:01PM
Everything in flowing smoothly now including the practical, but just one question to Mac: How do I access the database of students on your webserver for this practical? The Tutorial Letter says: "We have created the “registration” database for a student system on our server for you, should you wish to make use of it." How do I access that database to populate the structure created by me in SQL?

Johan Botha
Mac
September 28, 2008 06:46PM
Sorry for the delayed response - I was in bed with severe flue the last 4 days.

In the tut letter we provided you with an exact mirror (dump) of the structure of the database you must use (import - see a previous post on how to import). So you create your database in XAMPP using this structure. When you send the prac to us, we merely change the connection details

mysql_connect ("localhost", "our_login", "our_password"winking smiley

in your connection file (which you should include in all your pages- which allows us to change it in just one file) to fit our database connection details.

The sentence "We have created the “registration” database for a student system on our server for you, should you wish to make use of it" merely points to the fact that you can use this dump to import the structure, as opposed to creating it yourselves. I think I need to rephrase this.
October 01, 2008 01:33AM
Ladies and gentlemen...be kind and explain things in a way that even some of us newbees can understand

------>

it" merely points to the fact that you can use this dump to import the structure, as opposed to creating it yourselves. I think I need to rephrase this.

---->what are we actually importing data or structure and also

Switchboard Interface" of links would be like what?

I've got the basics ,but I can't start my prac....I hope this hiccup doesn't take me a month like loading xampp did...

please help...

Aint it over 'til it is
Mac
October 01, 2008 09:38AM
You are using the dump to create the structure (database and tables). You develop your app and fill it with data (student, course info etc). When you send us your code, we make use of our database (which has the same structure as yours)l. We test you app by filling the database, through your app, with our own data.

Switchboard interface means the first page present links to all the pages.

>....I hope this hiccup doesn't take me a month like loading XAMPP did
999% of people do not have a problem installing XAMPP. However, a specific computer may have configurations in place which may cause some problems. The problem lies with the computer, and it is impossible to provide support on XAMPP when we don't know you configuration (i.e. not sitting in front of it). Which is why you should Google XAMPP to find solutions. Which is what we do to find solutions when you post problems with XAMPP. The only difference is we become a middleman which you may just as well bypass smiling smiley And you better get used to it - without Google you may just as well give upon PHP now smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login