Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My predicament

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
My predicament
December 13, 2008 06:39AM
I've just now checked my final results and not only is my mark for COS221 still 42, but horror of horrors, I have "failed" and have not even been granted a supplementary and COS221 has even dropped off from the list of subjects.

I have even checked the new General Rules and Information calender for 2009 and

In study units offered by the College of Science, Engineering and Technology students must obtain
between 30–49% to qualify for a supplementary examination.

There's something dodgy going on here indeed. Is Unisa conspiring against me getting credit for COS221 sad smiley
December 13, 2008 07:00AM
wow, that really is weird sad smiley

maybe speak with the dean about it, preferably in person as that helps in such matters (you go as a human being, not a bunch of letters).
December 13, 2008 09:41AM
Dont speak to the dean - she's rude, has no people skills and no interest in the college. Also she made it explicitly clear that she is above speaking to mere students and will only communicate with them via email.

If I were you, rather contact Mr Beckworth of the admin department, I'm sure they would be able to assist.
Anonymous User
Re: My predicament
December 13, 2008 09:47AM
Thanks for the info, I've in the meanwhile fired off an email to the exam department and I'll follow that up with a call on Monday. I'll be sure to request Mr Beckwork.
December 13, 2008 09:54AM
i know one is really upset and put down , specifically today , when the results are out and some admin sets you back.

without going too much happy clappy: dont stress now for the next 2 days,
its admin
they'll sort it out (with/without a fight from your side, mostly with a fight)
even though there are some clowns working in admin, there's always been someone who can set things straight. Cos221 was a nightmare for a lot of people, i was lucky to write the supp and passed, and you will too.
December 13, 2008 09:57AM
in fact COS221 was such a horror to me, i didnt want to do COS321 , because i thought it would be worse than 221 (it wasn't for most,incl myself). i almost changed my stream but luckily passed the supp. i phoned the prof and asked him what i could do if i dont pass 221 as i think i will never pass it, but he said i should try it once more...
Anonymous User
December 13, 2008 11:13AM
Yes COS221 does require a significant effort unless you do low-level programming all the time. I did it once before in 2006 and failed, rightly so cause I didnt put in the required effort and thus could not complain. This year though, I definitely feel that something is wrong with the result I got. I'm not going to pursue that issue any further though cause its not worth the effort but to be denied a supp!!

The thing that bugs me the most is that this could potentially screw up my chances of finishing next year with the degree. I know should'nt stress so much but still...
December 13, 2008 03:32PM
Supplementary exams are surposed to be given for 40%+ - according to Tut 303 & Prof Venter - see link somewhere else.
December 13, 2008 04:05PM

Yes COS221 does require a significant effort unless you do low-level programming all the time. I did it once before in 2006 and failed, rightly so cause I didnt put in the required effort and thus could not complain. This year though, I definitely feel that something is wrong with the result I got. I'm not going to pursue that issue any further though cause its not worth the effort but to be denied a supp!!
If you really feel there is something major wrong then you should request a copy of your script[1], if you find something major wrong in that you can then persue things from there.
I can send you details on how to do this if you are interested.

[1] If nothing is in fact wrong with it this has the second benefit of allowing you to see where you went wrong yourself, so that you can then learn from that mistake.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 06:21AM
Yes please send me the details smiling smiley
December 15, 2008 09:22AM
Send me your email address.

--
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 09:55AM
I've "unhidden" my email address on my profile
December 15, 2008 10:06AM
Okay, sent.

--
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 10:14AM
Thanx Malcolm

I've just spoken to a call center guy. Apparently, I have to apply for a supp, its not automatically given (sounds like bullshit). Did anyone here have to apply for a supp, particularly for subjects written this yr?
December 15, 2008 10:20AM
Supp always used to be automatically given. You just had to pay for it in order to accept it. Not paying was taken as a sign that you did not want it.

I don't see why this would have changed, although it may have :/

--
December 15, 2008 10:34AM
I got 40% for COS211 and I got a supp automatically, so you shouldnt have to apply. Weird
December 15, 2008 10:40AM
i have a supp for cos311 and haven't even handed in assignment 1 or written the exam.
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 11:15AM
So that call centre guy is obviously a moron who doesnt know what the hell is talking about, thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I've spoken to someone else though who at least admitted that she doesnt know what's happening and would forward my query, to the "correct" person to sort it out (though she refused to tell who that person is).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login