Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MyLife email forwarding help

Posted by rezrovs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
MyLife email forwarding help
December 12, 2008 01:22PM
So I've gone and registered for 2009 and gotten one of these myLife accounts. I feel the pain already...

Usually with email accounts, you can add them to your gmail quite easily and I've set it up in such a way that I can send mail as 36036366@mylife but I can't get the mail to automatically forward from myLife to my gmail account.

I think that to get it work I'm going to have to use the gmail settings for "download mail from another server" but that is POP3 only and I have this horrible feeling that myLife is IMAP.

Does anyone know how to do this? I really don't want to have to check that mylife account every day...

Many thanks,
Rachel
Re: MyLife email forwarding help
December 12, 2008 01:31PM
I have had the same problem, but waited for someone else to ask the question in case I was missing something obvious... thanks for breaking the ice.

Yes, WTF. What a stupid idea. Why don't they just have a section on myUnisa where they post all your letters they email to you, and cc it to your private address? I wonder what kickback Microsoft is getting from this. Hundreds of thousands of students, each connecting to an Exchange server, dude, this is big bucks.

What happened to nurturing the spirit of OSS together with the eager creativity of Computer Science students combined with tiny academic budgets? Surely, within the CS department, they could have driven something more... forward thinking? I mean, it's just email, for crying out loud.
December 12, 2008 01:36PM
So I knew I would figure it out once I wrote that email.

The answer is http://mylife.unisa.ac.za/faq.html#23

AND the big problem as to why I couldn't figure this out myself is that you HAVE to use IE and not firefox to see the option you need to forward the mail.

What a mission. But at least it works now...

edit - why do they box up links!!! ARGH! it is here mylife.unisa.ac.za/faq.html#23
December 12, 2008 01:39PM
Oh frack. Downgrade to IE. Again. Thanks for solving the puzzle.
December 12, 2008 01:41PM
But to reply to tannieIBM, I can see some logic in why they are doing this. I mean, it is a complete mission to have ANOTHER email address and I'm glad I got it to forward to my gmail account.

But on the other hand, now students can't complain that they didn't receive an email because unisa will control that and be aware of any down time. It also means that the lecturers know exactly who emails come from without having to ask for student numbers when some students forget (which I've done before).

I don't like having a ms life account but I'm hoping that by choosing this solution they are able to create an environment where students can meet students or something. We are very lucky in the CS faculty to have this osprey server because I know there are students in other faculties that don't have a service like this. I don't know if mylife will eventually support forums, but it would be awesome if they did and all the communication with Unisa was in one place. Maybe this is a step to move them there...

[edit] I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I could do all my unisa stuff in one place that would be brilliant. The internet is the most useful tool for distance learning and it feels like Unisa does not utilize it fully - although they are getting there, myUnisa didn't exist when I first registered and that's already a huge help!
Anonymous User
December 12, 2008 01:47PM
omg, I have to switch to a whole new OS just to forward my mail. ugh.
December 12, 2008 02:01PM
rezrovs: I agree that there is sense in securing that students get their communication from Unisa. I just mean there are better ways to do it than give them Yet Another Email.

Exactly the example you used with the Osprey forums. It's a solution to the problem of getting students to discuss things. Osprey is great. But the rest of Unisa must use the myUnisa Sakai discussion forum, that is really terrible.

Good ideas, great intentions, but I smell a pointy-haired boss and a smooth MS salesman behind this specific email solution.

And it would be GREAT if I can get Osprey for my other subjects. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
avatar Re: MyLife email forwarding help
December 12, 2008 05:51PM

myUnisa didn't exist when I first registered and that's already a huge help!
Before myUnisa there was SOL which actually integrated properly with these forums.

IOW myUnisa is actually a giant step backwards, or possibly sideways at best, depending on how you look at it.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
December 13, 2008 02:12PM
Wow, I wasn't aware that there was something before myUnisa. And I agree that I hate the discussion forums on there. I'm just glad I'm a COS student with access to these forums!
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 04:24PM
I notice there's a questionare on the myUnisa site about ... well myUnisa.
On the questions about the discussion forums, I've just written a lenghty essay about the functionality (or rather the lack thereof). Hopefully I dont crash their servers smiling bouncing smiley and hopefully many more students add their comments about this.
December 15, 2008 04:41PM
Did that as well - on comment why I don't use the discussion forums, I simply stated that it is crap! grinning smiley
December 15, 2008 04:45PM
I suggested that they make some improvements to it to make it less crap. Like making the section for each post bigger, making it clearly visible when it is a lecturer or unisa official that has replied and making it easier to use markup or the equivalent. That would be awesome.

Does anyone know how they define the requirements for the site or decide what the functionality will be?
December 15, 2008 04:52PM
"The forum "tool" as it is currently is utterly useless and therefore is not used by anyone and a waste of a valuable resource.
Please install a proper forum that people can actually use(And don't insult us with pamphlets on how to use your broken forum software - It is not that we don't know how to use it that is the problem bur rather the fact that it is defective by design).

Please have a look at osprey for an example of what a proper forum should be like."

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
December 15, 2008 04:59PM
lol! I also referred them to osprey!
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 05:11PM
me too smiling smiley repeatedly smiling smiley
December 17, 2008 07:45AM
Hehe, I just completed the survey. Also sugessted osprey grinning smiley
December 17, 2008 10:57AM
I just hope they don't get jealous of osprey and in revenge decide to shut it down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login