Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new lift standards

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:07PM
I wonder when they are going to come up with new lift standards - the ones that say 18 people or 1350 kg.... if there are 18 people in the lift, those people had better average out to about 75kg per person, and when last did you meet 18 people who were that "thin"??
avatar Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:12PM
I have also wondered about that before. It is a bit of a concerning assumption :/
I think I saw a lift somewhere where it worked out to 60kg per person as well.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:14PM
Apparently, if the lift cable snaps and the car is plunging downwards, the best option for survival is to lie down on the floor away from the centre. This is because there is a main spring installed at the bottom of the shaft and that will pierce the lift if it falls onto it. Jumping upwards just before impact is impractical because you won't know the exact time of impact.
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:23PM
Quote
Rick
Jumping upwards just before impact is impractical because you won't know the exact time of impact.

would only be a plausable solution if you are able to jump as high as from where the lift started falling tongue sticking out smiley
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:27PM
I would think it balances out, bigger people = less fitting in the lift.

I don't think I've ever seen a lift where 18 people could fit in - granted I haven't been in that many places with lifts
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:28PM
I disagree. If one were to get the timing right and the lift was falling at say, 60 m/s. then, by jumping at the right time, you jump away at say, 30 m/s, you could reduce the plunge speed to 30 m/s and avoid more injuries.
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:34PM
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:36PM
no, if you are standing in the lift while it goes up or down, and you jump up or down you aren't going to jump higher than one or two feet right. (about the same as when you are on the ground)

now if the lift is free falling from say the 10th floor, you pick up that velocity from the 10m/s acceleration just like if you jumped out the window of the 10th floor. (more or less)

so if you are inside the lift, when the lift hits the ground it will be like the lift floor is suddenly going up with an acceleration of [calc 10m/s * how many secs - soz im lazy] or not unlike a car driving into you at 160km/h
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:39PM
Ghitz, you were probably not loved enough as a child
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:40PM
tongue sticking out smileynot an ethical thing to say, but if you want to live your best chances are to (1)estimate when you are about to hit the ground and (2) beat 1 or 2 people down and use them as cushioning.

kind of like in open-water one where they teach you to stab the nearest diver and swim away in the case of a shark attack tongue sticking out smiley (just kidding)
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:42PM
RobM, my rationale is so: yes, you are going the same speed as the elevator. When you jump up, you create a push in the opposite direction. The vectors cancel out and you decrease your speed
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:47PM
yeah but Rick its like 100km/h down minus your 1km/h up. Not going to help you that much.
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:48PM
Uhm, the jump thing doesn't make sense. When you hit the ground hard enough, you're going to be thrown against the roof from the impact, right? The same way two trains will bounce back after they collide into one another, they won't just...squeeze closer. So, if you jumped, and then hit the floor, you'll just be going towards the roof a bit faster... and harder... ouch.

What's more, if you were using the fat guy as a pillow, he'll now be following you towards the roof, using YOU as the pillow.
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:51PM
LOL rereading my answer: the physics of it is so bad, it's just too good to edit...
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 02:56PM
I'm sure there are failsafe brakes, but personally I'd say if you have a child or girlfriend with you, their survival would be to lie on top of you.
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 03:08PM
sorry does anyone know what to do in the case of a dog attack? not exactly on topic but while everyone talking about survival strategies...

both arms gone

kind of freaked me outeye popping smiley feel really sorry for this guy
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 03:11PM
run faster than the guy next to you?
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 03:17PM
have you seen 18 people squash into a taxi? then you can get 18 people squash into a lift sad smiley
avatar Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 03:36PM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have you seen 18 people squash into a taxi? then
> you can get 18 people squash into a lift sad smiley


But I do remember the taxi with 32 people squeezed in going off a bridge in Transkei a few years ago ...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 03:43PM
Quote
Rick
Ghitz, you were probably not loved enough as a child

eye rolling smiley huh? wtf?

... unlike you, who spent your childhood being dressed &
spoilt like a little girly?

Did little Rick forget to take his haloperidol pills today?

Your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom
factory. Idiot!
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 04:03PM
@Ghitz - thx, article was interesting to read. Don't think Rick meant anything, he was probably joking about the picture on the article. Maybe mistook it for a dark humour cartoon or something?
Re: new lift standards
December 11, 2008 05:19PM
Guys if you are falling at the speeds you are suggesting, you would not be able to jump up at all. So the discussion is an acedemic was of time - any which way, you are screwed.
avatar Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 07:29AM
Yep, you're screwed smile
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 08:27AM
RobM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sure there are failsafe brakes, but personally
> I'd say if you have a child or girlfriend with
> you, their survival would be to lie on top of you.


If you have a wife with you, your survival would be to lie on top of her grinning smiley
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 09:29AM
Ghitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ghitz, you were probably not loved enough as a
> child
>
> eye rolling smiley huh? wtf?
>
> ... unlike you, who spent your childhood being
> dressed &
> spoilt like a little girly?
>
> Did little Rick forget to take his haloperidol
> pills today?
>
> Your birth certificate is an apology letter from
> the condom
> factory. Idiot!

Take another chill pill, dude. Up until now I didn't even know about "haloperidol" smiling smiley Wahhhsamatter, Ghitz? Too close to the mark?
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 11:12AM
> @Ghitz - thx, article was interesting to read. Don't think Rick
> meant anything,

Thanks RobM. That's exactly my point. I posted some useful info
... constructive criticism is welcome, acting puerile/childish
is not.

> he was probably joking about the picture on the article.
> Maybe mistook it for a dark humour cartoon or something?

Possible.
Well, no ill feelings from my side, I'm a peaceful person.
smile

> Take another chill pill, dude.
> Wahhhsamatter, Ghitz? Too close to the mark?

Agh whatever man smile
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 11:23AM
Ghitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, no ill feelings from my side, I'm a peaceful
> person.
> smile

Quote
Ghitz
... unlike you, who spent your childhood being dressed &
spoilt like a little girly?

Did little Rick forget to take his haloperidol pills today?

Your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom
factory. Idiot!

I'd like to call BS here. Do those halcyonpedrol pills make you delusional?
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 11:34AM
> I'd like to call BS here

Suit yourself. You started the sh!t with an insult & I
responded to your puerile comment.

Easy peasy don't you undertand the logic?

Anyways enjoy your school holidays. Go fly a kite kiddo
if you can't make any constructive criticisms/comments.
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 11:41AM
Ghitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Easy peasy don't you undertand the logic?

It must be reassuring to be so secure in your beliefs
Anonymous User
Re: new lift standards
December 12, 2008 11:54AM
> It must be reassuring to be so secure in your beliefs

Yeah.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login