Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is it like to develop in the .Net environment?

Posted by Shauntir 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Re: What is it like to develop in the .Net environment?
December 09, 2008 09:37AM
Shauntir
Lets face it, there will never be a truly cross-platform language, framework or virtual execution system in practice. That only exists in theory.
I think that cross-platform is a normal achievement. This can only happen via co-operation though. This is where the MS flames start coming.
avatar Re: What is it like to develop in the .Net environment?
December 10, 2008 01:37AM
Shauntir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I enjoy using python. Lets face it, there
> will never be a truly cross-platform language,
> framework or virtual execution system in practice.
> That only exists in theory.

This is not something we're looking forward to in the future, it exists now, in this day
and age, so saying "that only exists in theory" is more than a little wrong. At this
point in time, it is rare to find a programming language that isn't on all
desktop computing platforms ... python, lisp, perl. Not just interpreted languages
either, using bytecode languages like Java or (again) python or perl6 makes your code
portable to almost all desktop computers.

Even with compiled native code, writing using the ANSI C standard, your code would be
portable to all platforms in existence[1].

And even if you are willing to argue that they all differ subtly (a broken argument,
but many people attempt to make it anyway), there is still javascript which has an
often used and popular implementation for every desktop computer there is.

In fact, the only non-portable code is that written using any microsoft-os based tools.

[1] I'm not aware of any computing platform that does not have a conforming C
implementation.
December 10, 2008 10:26AM
this question is coming from a very ignorant person so don't shoot me down, but if you're developing for work, wouldn't the company you're working for decide which framework to use?

*Runs away from the stupidity police*
avatar Re: What is it like to develop in the .Net environment?
December 10, 2008 10:33AM
depends if you're in a decision-making position or not.
Anonymous User
December 10, 2008 10:36AM
yes, the company does decide what framework you are using - especially if its a bigger company., you might get lucky and be able to at some stage suggest a new technology for them to use. by some small miracle they will actually take your suggestion seriously and move in a new direction.

The smaller the company, the easier it will be to make them change their frameworks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login