Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So where is this Freedom Toaster ... thing

Posted by jneethling 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar So where is this Freedom Toaster ... thing
November 27, 2008 12:32PM
Does anyone know if the freedom toaster have been installed at the main campus or any other campus?

If yes, where is it, would like to go and use it during my lunch hour, one day.

I assume they will try to have it there before registration begins...

Cobus Neethling
Anonymous User
Re: So where is this Freedom Toaster ... thing
November 27, 2008 01:13PM
avatar Re: So where is this Freedom Toaster ... thing
November 27, 2008 01:55PM
Been there... no UNISA locations.

It seems it's the responsibility of the provider to register the location of the FT. Was hoping someone knows something I don't...

Cobus Neethling
November 27, 2008 03:28PM
Hi Guys

The Freedom Toaster is in the process of being upgraded to a newer better system. This is why there has been minimal roll-out. I have a contact at the company doing the new toaster.

chrisb

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Re: So where is this Freedom Toaster ... thing
November 27, 2008 04:57PM
does the new toaster spread stuff on your toast too?
November 28, 2008 06:37AM
Sounds more like a half naked guy, with William Wallace stripes over his face, running around with a shampagne bottle and glasses. Shouting Freedom! and offerring everyone he sees a glass of shampagne?

Clearly, freedom taoster, is not a name worthy of the space shuttle....

Still, it is a nice idea.

Cobus Neethling
December 25, 2008 01:55PM
The one @ the Gateway Old Mutual Science centre - sort of hopeless. I did not pay the R27 entrance fee as lady said that it was okay since I am only using the toaster and not the Science centre.The machine (hardware + software available to burn) needs updating.

It was running very slowly - sorta like my experiences with Ubuntu on PC's with 256Mb or less. Touch screen - took a while to get used to it, and had to touch outside the hotspots on certain parts of the screen to get the pointer to the right areas. Suse version 10.2 - over 2 years old. Debian, Fedora, Knoppix, etc were all outdated.

I did not have a nice experience using the machine (I have a thread about CEM101 - maybe I should do it after all?) in the end I managed to copy SUSE 10.2 onto DVD ( apart from Fedora everything else seem to require 3-5 cds which I did not have). I installed it over my Suse9.1 partition at home ( this was corrupted when I had psu problems). There seems to be a smaller selection of packages for 10.2 dvd. I could not get the tv card to work with sound, OTOH I had to hack around to get sound to work on 9.1.

Now I must dig around for the win32 codecs for xine. MP3 is patented (royalties is applicable) so it is not in OpenSuse.
December 26, 2008 11:05AM
TraceyB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does the new toaster spread stuff on your toast too?

that would be terrific grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login