Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The worth of vocational study?

Posted by Shauntir 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar The worth of vocational study?
November 24, 2008 11:13AM
Hey guys,

Firstly, I just want to say thanks to everyone for the congrats. Also, congrats to everyone else that will graduate soon and good luck for all those that still continue with the good fight smile

Right, now that the BSc degree is over I was thinking of my next move. I'm not much of an academic since I only enjoy putting what I learn into practice which is not very easy at varsity.

NZ is most likely the country I want to immgrate to in the next 1-2 years. However, since I will not have that much experience even with that time, I was thinking if vocational courses may help my marketability.

Honours is nice but I really don't like the modules offered. So my question is, would an international certificate be a good addition for immigration?
If so, what course would you recommend? Preferably not in the M$ arena, SJP is more towards open source.
Re: The worth of vocational study?
November 24, 2008 11:56AM
cooking
avatar Re: The worth of vocational study?
November 25, 2008 09:03AM
you should have jumped over WHILE you were a student. they really like students going over, so just register for a unisa course or two, send in your application and that's that probably.

then you can come here, get an interest free student loan and allowance, get the government to send you to china for 6 months...
November 25, 2008 09:38AM
by here you mean NZ?
November 25, 2008 09:48AM
yes
November 25, 2008 08:05PM
lycium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you should have jumped over WHILE you were a
> student. they really like students going over, so
> just register for a unisa course or two, send in
> your application and that's that probably.
>
> then you can come here, get an interest free
> student loan and allowance, get the government to
> send you to china for 6 months...

How does this work? On all the nz emigration sites I've seen they rank you by stuff like degree, and without one you wont have enough points.
November 26, 2008 08:21AM
which means your best chance would be when you are a post grad student?
November 26, 2008 08:24AM
How easy would it be for me? Married....I should have MSc soon, if not, still have honours. My wife is a doctor....the only thing working against me is my age, turned 30 2 weeks ago.

Also, how difficult is it to take pets with? I wont go anywhere where my basset cant come along!
November 26, 2008 08:29AM
Thanks for the info lycium. Riaan you're old grinning smiley
Just joking. Riaan, I think you have one of the best chances of immigration. You would probably just be snapped by a top company overseas.

Not sure if I should enrol for honours now confused smiley
Anonymous User
November 26, 2008 08:49AM
i think the pets things is not all that difficult - the biggest issue is that they have to sit in quarantine for 3 months. seeing as Bella is still a 'puppy', 3 months should not be that bad - if she was an 8 year old dog it would be another story all together.
Anonymous User
November 26, 2008 08:56AM
what sort of quarantine facility is it? I think 3 months for a pet to be away from the owner is far too long.
November 26, 2008 09:03AM
I agree. I have 3 cats and a dog....shame man!
November 26, 2008 09:04AM
@rklopper

Your doggy will have to spend at least 6 months in quarantine - such a big portion of an animals life that they'd have to spend in a cage sad smiley The cost amounts to about 25-35K per pet.
I've read of animals being traumatised during transit - losing toes etc, and others getting there just fine. It's a risk you'll have to consider though. Do look at a couple of forums before you decide!
Anonymous User
November 26, 2008 09:04AM
I think 2 weeks in a kennel causes a dog serious trauma. If a pet is quarantined, where is it held?
November 26, 2008 09:12AM
PS. Furry ties that bind
7 months for aus/nz

The younger the pet, the 'longer' the time - a day in a year old's life is a much larger percentage of their 'life up to date' than a day in a 7 year old's life..
November 26, 2008 09:43AM
I have 2 dogs (that cant be separated), 5 cats, 2 parrots and 2 snakes. Ditching the snakes is easy, they're as emotional as fish. But the other 9... I wish I knew what to do. I love them and they're such a big part of me, but we want kids and dont want to raise them in SA. I think I might just be able to convince my dad to look after my boerboel and basset (he also has a boerboel), but they have a small yard. 3 of my 5 cats are un-rehomable with 2 being rescued feral kitties and 1 being so independent that he doesnt like affection (picked up etc). And then the African Greys... I couldnt sleep last night, thinking and worrying about our options.
November 26, 2008 10:17AM
just get a monkey to run the zoo while you are away.
November 26, 2008 10:26AM
But Randal, I thought you already have a job smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login