Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

giving up

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: giving up
November 19, 2008 11:19AM
Do you guys/girls @ standard bank still without power? Here towards the west it came up yesterday afternoon already...
November 19, 2008 11:23AM
still without!

Luckily I have a meeting in illovo from 1 to 3, and then I am going home, not coming back all the way here with dead traffic lights, no coffee, and no aircons....
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 01:23PM
we have had power in the actual office the whole time, but I see the robots etc are still out and the flipping lights in the car park are still dead
November 20, 2008 07:42AM
my building is still out! Hot as the karoo here!
November 20, 2008 07:46AM
I am planning to have coffee with the other guy I want as a supervisor....so hold thumbs. I have decided, that if he cant do it, then I am leaving the entire thing!
November 20, 2008 07:59AM
November 20, 2008 11:25AM
jxharding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> he's german, how about taking him on a busbang
> spree in soweto or something like that?

f*ck you
November 21, 2008 08:25AM
how do you mistype u as * ?
November 21, 2008 08:50AM
lycium, you've got to be able to take what u give man,
November 21, 2008 08:50AM
anyway, i dont have time to now start fking with you again , so just go fk yourself and fk off please.
November 21, 2008 08:56AM
I know this is most probably exam mark stress - just take it easy men. eye rolling smiley
November 21, 2008 09:06AM
tja, i suppose as long as no one is making blanket statements about south africans, anything goes. jews, muslims, germans, blacks, boere, no worries! if you can't keep up intellectually (and it's no secret that you're a racist bigoted moron), go for cultural slander.

jx, you've shown your true colours eh. good christian morals thumbs up
November 21, 2008 09:08AM
thanks man!
now fck off please
Anonymous User
November 21, 2008 09:13AM
it seems like jx has trouble expressing himself. A kind of autism, perhaps? One shouldn't be too harsh winking smiley
November 21, 2008 09:19AM
could be!
November 21, 2008 09:34AM
well....back to my original purpose of this thread. I emailed the other guy I want as supervisor. Lycium, please don't flame me for his tongue in cheek reference to germans.... smiling smiley This was his reply:

Hi Riaan.

Certainly lets have coffee and chat. I understand your difficulties with Stefan – he does have rather Germanic opinions and ways that he wants people to work. <Edited> and I usually have a far more relaxed way of working with our students. Please remember that you have the major say in who you want your supervisors to be – it is a long-term relationship, very like an apprenticeship, and you should only undertake to have that relationship with people who you will relate to and can learn from.

I have every confidence in your ability to complete an excellent Masters. You are a very intelligent young man, with excellent ideas and enough real-world experience to give those substance.

When would be a good time to meet? My calendar is rather busy, but lets see if we can chat soon.

Regards,
Andrew.
November 21, 2008 09:35AM
Might be that jx knows that lycium can't get to him from the other side of the world to kick his @ss.... (Oooo, did I actually say something nasty?)
November 21, 2008 09:36AM
@rklopper: Wow, nice positive feedback - get that coffee date set up as soon as possible!
November 21, 2008 09:44AM
@rklopper, back to the germans, anyway, good luck with that, you've got your heart set on the masters so dont let 1 single exception to the rule muck it up.
November 21, 2008 10:05AM
Reanie, jip...I am trying to set it up now. I really hope it is gonna work out. I first want to find out from him if he would be willing to be co-supervisor, whioch I think he is. Then I can ask my main supervisor to drop the other guy.
Anonymous User
November 21, 2008 10:14AM
cool, at least the guy understands why you would potentially like to swap supervisors.

as for giving up.. right now I actually want to stop working. I would quite honestly rather stay at home and work in the garden or knit or fck knows what else.

My best friend when I was a small child is german. she was normal but her father and brother had the most obscure senses of humour.

I should just keep quite seeing as I am half german and half scottish... so I guess I am a stingy kraut.
November 21, 2008 10:26AM
I think it depends on the person. This Stefan dude is a nightmare, but that mentor of mine, Dr Fritz Solms, is the most amazing person I know.
November 21, 2008 10:56AM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cool, at least the guy understands why you would
> potentially like to swap supervisors.
>
> as for giving up.. right now I actually want to
> stop working. I would quite honestly rather stay
> at home and work in the garden or knit or fck

Hmmm ...
November 21, 2008 10:57AM
I will hold thumbs for you rKlopper. Don't give up! You're almost there!!

(sorry i followed the previous thread about this Stefan guys LOL)
Anonymous User
November 21, 2008 11:03AM
@goose you forgot to quote the rest of my message
December 02, 2008 03:57PM
Just got the follwing invitation from that very same supervisor that was so mean:

Stefan invited you to "Braai after Work" on Friday, December 12 at 5:00pm.

Stefan says, "Let's HOPE for good weather, and don't forget your swim-suit --- unless you want to jump into the pool in the same dress in which you were born.".

Event: Braai after Work
"Before everybody vanishes into their Christmas Holidays..."
What: Barbecue
Host: The German who believes that Germans are better Braaiers than South African Start Time: Friday, December 12 at 5:00pm End Time: Friday, December 12 at 9:00pm
Where: At Stefan's Place
December 02, 2008 04:07PM
you going????
December 02, 2008 04:15PM
Off course not smiling smiley
December 02, 2008 08:05PM
Ah you can swim in your birthday suite... sure Mr X will treat you specially after that grinning smiley
December 03, 2008 08:11AM
Seriously though, am I wrong to think this sort of thing is not appropriate for a student/supervisor relationship?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login