Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Something to eat Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc

Posted by scy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
scy
Something to eat Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc
October 30, 2008 01:11PM
Koennigsegg just produced 1 hell of monster. Its claimed to be the fastest production car in the universe.

Engine : 4.8 Supercharged
Power : 758Kw
Torque : 1080Nm
Output per liter : 156.7 (est)
0-100km/h : 2.9 sec (claimed)
Cost : R30 Million (before taxes I think)

This is what I call intensive engineering - Maths, Physics & Chemistry in absolute depth.

SLK65 AMG is a 6.5liter twin turbo but the power figures don't exceed 450Kw. I think AMG should consult, the 4.0 V8 M3 whips the C63 around a circuit. The C63 over sees it in a straight line but that's not impressive, considering the engine specs (4.0 Vs 6.3). Same goes for the M5 and E63 although BMW hasn't responded to the 6.3 competition, the 5.0 V10 was meant to discipline the 5.5 V8 E55, which it did. I was telling 1 cousin of mine that there's a difference between a fast car and a car that has a big engine.

I'm out of words. I want to see "The Stig" in this one, i bet it'll record the fastest lap.
Anonymous User
Re: Something to eat Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc
October 30, 2008 01:14PM
avatar Re: Something to eat Ferraris, Lambos, Porches etc
October 30, 2008 01:24PM
Scy,

It's time you stopped behaving like a 14 year old virgin,

Regards,

Your friendly neighbourhood troll smile

(Seriously, what adult actually follows these things?)
scy
October 30, 2008 01:46PM
Speed Freakstongue sticking out smiley

Act like a professional, calculate your words before speak.

I never new motor sport was for 14 year old virgins. Why are there Lambos, Zondas, Formula 1 cars and the rest?

The world is not all about programming, there a lot of things just as interesting.smoking smiley
scy
October 30, 2008 01:58PM
Actually the car has two superchargers. One on each bank.
October 30, 2008 02:07PM
Like Rick's version more - and it would be cheaper as well.
Anonymous User
October 30, 2008 02:09PM
heh, you should see me wheelie that baby on one wheel smoking smiley
October 30, 2008 02:12PM
scy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speed Freakstongue sticking out smiley
>
> Act like a professional, calculate your words
> before speak.
>
> I never new motor sport was for 14 year old
> virgins.

Well, now you do smile

> Why are there Lambos, Zondas, Formula 1
> cars and the rest?
>

Motorsport, perhaps - I've been known to place the odd trifecta on a race myself ...
however, I meet very few adults who know anything about cars who actually follow
these things - the speed freak mags are consumed by kids ... the people I know
who actually do race and/or build racing machines don't know (or care) about R30m
cars.

People who are interested in Lambos don't buy the magazines, IME the kids interested
in things like what koenig produces are merely engaging in dicksize wars, with each
side having a "favourite" brand that they champion at all costs ...

> The world is not all about programming, there a
> lot of things just as interesting.smoking smiley

Of course not, you have an interest, presumably you will grow out of it smile

(laugh, c'mon ... do smile
scy
October 30, 2008 02:42PM
I repeat - Act like a professional, calculate your words
before speak.

Goose wrote
------------------------------------
>however, I meet very few adults who know anything about cars who actually follow
>these things

People you know don't determine facts.

>the speed freak mags are consumed by kids
Think like a professional. The mags are for everyone to buy, there's a lot of business involved.

>the people I know who actually do race and/or build racing machines don't know (or care) about R30m
cars.
My point was the performance not the price.

>People who are interested in Lambos don't buy the magazines, IME the kids interested
in things like what koenig produces are merely engaging in dicksize wars, with each
side having a "favourite" brand that they champion at all costs ...

Think like a professional - the amount of engineering that went into building that car. Magazines are also way of advertising.

Do you smoke if I may ask?
October 30, 2008 03:04PM
Awesome car. I'd LOVE to see this machine in action!!
October 30, 2008 03:18PM
scy Wrote:
> I repeat - Act like a professional, calculate
> your words
> before speak.
>
> Goose wrote
> ------------------------------------
> >however, I meet very few adults who know anything
> about cars who actually follow
> >these things
>
> People you know don't determine facts.
>

And you do? Lighten up ...

> >the speed freak mags are consumed by kids
> Think like a professional. The mags are for
> everyone to buy, there's a lot of business
> involved.
>

I'm sure there is. F1 in particular drives a lot of auto research.

> >the people I know who actually do race and/or
> build racing machines don't know (or care) about
> R30m
> cars.
> My point was the performance not the price.
>

Actually, your "point", if I may use the word loosely, was that this car "eats" other
competing cars - whats the point of engaging in a dicksize war over something like
this? I'm an auto enthusiast, by which I mean "someone who loves autos, and knows a
great deal about them", and not "someone who memorises impressive sounding numbers
while not being able to actually do anything with autos other than read about them".

> >People who are interested in Lambos don't buy the
> magazines, IME the kids interested
> in things like what koenig produces are merely
> engaging in dicksize wars, with each
> side having a "favourite" brand that they champion
> at all costs ...
>
> Think like a professional - the amount of
> engineering that went into building that car.

Certainly a lot went into it, however you posted "Something to eat Ferraris, Lambos,
Porches etc" - you never touched on any engineering feat, just the raw performance.
You could have done so; as it stands I see nothing particularly innovative in what you
posted. Your "professional" posting was simply "this car eats <accepted list of
supercars>" which roughly translates to "my dick is bigger than yours".

For example the forced induction you mention (one on each bank) has been popular since
the very first supercharged engines, put to good use by the ferrari 288 gto in the
early 80's. The mid-80's F1 engines (limited to 1.5l if turbo-charged) used dual
chargers as well - ISTR F1 honda 1.5 turbo engines being V8's with dual chargers.

You could have told us if there is anything particularly new about the dual-forced-
induction, or perhaps informed us if it uses a particular method of twin-charging.
Instead you rattled off specs you do not even fully understand; lets have a closer
look at what you posted (editing is too easy!)

"SLK65 AMG is a 6.5liter twin turbo but the power figures don't exceed 450Kw. I think AMG should consult, the 4.0 V8 M3 whips the C63 around a circuit. The C63 over sees it in a straight line but that's not impressive, considering the engine specs (4.0 Vs 6.3). Same goes for the M5 and E63 although BMW hasn't responded to the 6.3 competition, the 5.0 V10 was meant to discipline the 5.5 V8 E55, which it did. I was telling 1 cousin of mine that there's a difference between a fast car and a car that has a big engine. "

"discipline"? Really? That's you being professional, is it? Want to have a discussion
about cars? I'm game, what with autos being something of a hobby with me smile Many of
the regs here have expressed some knowledge as well, so we should have a good time.
However, I do not ever recall seeing a dicksize war ("<this> beats <that>, so
there!!!"winking smiley here about cars, so it would interesting to see how this pans out.

However, don't mistake me for one of those clueless fools who can't change a cambelt
even if their life depended on it, but somehow feel qualified to express an
opinion as fact on which is the "better" car (for the money, and FYI, I'd rather have
the koenig 600kw ferrari from '95 - I'm a sucker for a ragtop. However, I'm currently
looking into building a replica of a beautiful classic. I've been unable to find kits
for my choices, currently hovering between aston-martin db5 and '67 ferrari 250 gt
california. Other option would be a lotus 7 kit).

I can probably engage you knowledgably on almost all aspects of autos, with the
exceptions being dicksize wars - I'm not interested in which car "over sees" another,
and which "disciplines" another and which car "whips" another. I'm interested
in the actual cars, not the testosterone-fueled clueless larting you engage in.

See what Rick posted? That's making fun of you in a more subtle manner, I do believe smile
I was just overt about it.

> Magazines are also way of advertising.
>

So's spam, whats your point?

> Do you smoke if I may ask?

Depends on how inflammatory I'm feeling ... smile

Kindest Regards,
Summer Glau
October 30, 2008 03:19PM
The intention of goose's comments here boggle me...
October 30, 2008 03:21PM
Sanoz0r Wrote:
> The intention of goose's comments here boggle
> me...

If the link did not give it away ...

smile

(yeah, well, babysitting a build process that has very little chance of success)
October 30, 2008 06:58PM
oooohhh... i see what's going on...

"my dick is bigger than yours"
October 30, 2008 07:42PM
@Liezl: So glad you said that!grinning smiley
Anonymous User
October 30, 2008 08:37PM
I was rather impressed this time winking smiley

pps
he can kill you with his brain smiling bouncing smiley
Anonymous User
October 31, 2008 09:03AM
sheesh, some of you guys are nasty... I didn't see scy knocking people for liking various os systems, or programs or whatever else people yabber on about on these forums.

everyone has different interests. wouldn't it all be boring if we all liked the same stuff.
October 31, 2008 09:08AM
We don't usually name those posts "New fedora 10 will eat Ubuntu and its babies"
and follow that up with a bunch of arb meaningless figures, but yeah tongue sticking out smiley

Think goose was digging more at the attitude then the actual topic.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
October 31, 2008 09:13AM
Yes why did nobody lash out against the "Sharks vs Bulls" thread - or is it because nobody cares? smiling bouncing smiley
October 31, 2008 09:15AM
Rugby isn't worth my time, not even to lash out against tongue sticking out smiley

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
October 31, 2008 09:18AM
Yeah, I'm dangerous on the internet when bored smile

pps. I can kill you with my brain
Anonymous User
October 31, 2008 09:18AM
probably no-one cares winking smiley
October 31, 2008 09:29AM
nlombard Wrote:
> Yes why did nobody lash out against the "Sharks vs
> Bulls" thread - or is it because nobody cares? smiling bouncing smiley

I was away and did not need to blow off steam smile
scy
November 03, 2008 01:56PM
I had a very long weekend (starting from Thursday)

Eh, The new Koenig CCXR will eat any Lambo, Ferrari or Zonda currently on the market .

The figures I posted are VERY impressive although there is no denial that the Rand To Perfomance is outa line.

Goose:
Forcefeeding has been around for decades but +700Kw from a 4.8 twin forcefed motor is worth taking note of especially if its from a production car. As a motor enthusiast you know that several factors contribute towards a cars perfomance. The article I read didn't go into detail about these.

NB: I'm not a fan of European cars but I acknowledge intelligence - I find Japanese cars interesting, they have high reving engines with high output per liter (Honda, Mitsubishi, Subaru etc). Take the EVO VIII FQ 400 for example, 2.0 DOHC 16V pumping out 400bhp. It does 0-100km/h in 3.5 seconds using a convetional H pattern gearbox, thats faster than a 599 or Carrera GT. Note that an SMG would be 20% quiker. It used cams, fuel management, exhaust, turbo, boost controler from HKS, Owen Developments and Greddy. I should also mention that it can keep up with a Lambo LP640 around a track. The LP640 costs 4 times more, has an engine 3 times as big(forcefed V12 displacing around 6400), has a lower drag coefficiency and uses a sequential box. You don't need an agressive an engine for the best perfomance - Lotus describes this best.

By the way: EVOS have always given those expensive European cars a run for their money since production of the EVO IV (0-100km\h in 4.5).

About the new Koenig: I'd be overwhelmed if any of its rivals produced a car that out performs it for a cheaper price and smaller engine.
scy
November 03, 2008 02:11PM
Oh talking Japan - TRD made a limted edition MR2 years back.
Well the thing made +400Kw from a 1.6 EFI DOHC 16V.grinning smiley
The spec list is long: Bigger Intercooler and revised plumbing, Management, Cams, Lightened and Hardened internalls, Flywheel, Race Clutch, Exhaust...
November 03, 2008 02:25PM
*woooosh*

(you have not yet twigged onto one important thing - I leave it to you as an exercise smile
scy
November 03, 2008 02:36PM
Are you a VW owner?smile
November 03, 2008 03:20PM
goose...I think you need to get laid smiling smiley
November 03, 2008 03:22PM
Actually, I'm an auto enthusiast ... so I don't see the need to tie my ego to a certain
brand. I like cars (and motorcycles). I strip engines, I fix them. I know what is
meant by "2nd stage cam", and can use an oscilloscope to determine a faulty injector.

I like to rebuild cars. I like to drive them. If I had a decent racecar (say, a locost
or similar) I'd race it on the track. I know how a turbo works, and why as well. I
know the equations to use to calculate the total pressure from a serial twin-charger
(which is not linear, as you might expect).

What do I drive? An ancient colt bakkie, s/cab, LWB, diesel, normally aspirated. To
make it even more boring, it's white in colour smile Absolutely factory standard!

I've never pimped out any car I've owned, no "big music", no ex-factory mags with a
profile so low that the tyre looks painted on, no tinted windows, or ex-factory
headlights, etc. I used to subscribe to CAR magazine, but stopped sometime in the early
nineties. If I read up on cars now, it's mostly for engineering news, and frankly
theres not much new in that direction now.

I've never felt the need to 'compare' my choice of brand to another - I'm a grown up smile
Like I said earlier, I'm an actual auto enthusiast - not a brand enthusiast. I've
never tied up my ego with a particular manufacturer.

Now, if I may stereotype you for a moment: You're a young indian male, who drives a
old-ish car that has been pimped out to the max - tinted windows, in-car dvd player,
aforementioned mag wheels, perhaps some modifications to the engine that you don't
really understand (like the cam change that gives you choppy idling with what feels
like more power, or a bolt-on turbo) but like anyway. You have arguments with other
similarly inclined young indian men who have their macho-ness tied to their love of
a particular brand of car. When deciding the winner of the argument, the one who loves
the brand that produces the faster car wins.

Some discourse might take place around F1, while drinking brandy&coke (razorblades,
of course) and everyone has their particular F1 manufacturer/team as well that they
love and defend to the death. Occasionally one of you might run into someone who
actually does know about cars (perhaps a mechanic, or even a random poster on a web
phorum smile. However much you go on about engineering effort expended, I hardly think
that anyone ever talks about it much in your circle of car-lovers.

I would consider that you rarely ponder mighty engineering problems, like solving valve-
float, or the need (before electronic ignition became common) for a dual-contact
distributor, or even know the difference between the valve-timing and ignition-timing
on a 4-stroke engine. I doubt that you realise the effort expended in simple things
like camshaft -> propshaft balancing by the designers of the vehicles (see the 1st
generation camry 2.2 for an excellent solution).

As an auto-enthusiast, I looked up and learned how the different variable valve timing
works (stepped discrete and pressure-based continuous), I learned how a turbo works,
and can point to much more impressive gains from production cars, even as far back as
1988 (Sarel clocked a speed of 358km/h from a 2.2l modified production car, which kinda
makes this 'feat' you posted look kinda wimpish, considering it was done 20 years ago).

As is clear from your more recent post, all you care about is whether one car "beats"
another. Being mature is what separates them men from the boys, and all your posts
have been about how much "better" your choice is than the alternatives, based solely
on performance. "Calculate your words"? What does that even mean? Calculate is numerate
related, not literate-related.

For the single, important fact that you missed, re-read my posts here and click on the
link you find smile

(PS. I'm not a "vw-enthusiast" or a "bmw-enthusiast", etc ... I'm an auto-enthusiast
as I don't need to defend any particular brand to the death, or villify any other
brand)

(PPS - I can kill you with my brain)
November 03, 2008 03:24PM
rklopper Wrote:
> goose...I think you need to get laid smiling smiley

Unfortunately, as I've found since divorce, women are much harder to get rid of once
you've actually been to bed with them. My problem isn't getting laid, it's trying to
stop from giving in to sexual exhaustion smile

(gee, until I got divorced I never knew it was possible to get *too* much sexsmile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login