Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

so tired of study...

Posted by Nancy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 03:56PM
I am so tired of study now... I don't know why I started this Hons early this year? I am still busy with my project... and I am trapped with the Symbian,can not get away from it.angry smiley Well, looking forward,1 more exam, three more projects, then I am done, but I don't know why, I just feel like to quit now...

I don't know why I study so hard for?
Anonymous User
Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:19PM
i also found honours to be extremely demotivating, annoying, tiring.

don't wuit though - you are so close to the end smiling smiley
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:22PM
Likewise. I keep wanting to drop it actually :/

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:23PM
thank you, celene!

I don't even see the end... I hate programming, but I still choose computer sci, what's the matter with me?confused smiley
Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:24PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Likewise. I keep wanting to drop it actually

Let's drop it together...thumbs up smiley
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:26PM
Don't stress to much. Maybe take 2 days and enjoy yourself by doing something you enjoy. When you get back to studies you will be more energized and ready to go.

As for why you are studying, only you know the real reason why smile
Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:36PM
Shauntir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't stress to much. Maybe take 2 days and enjoy
> yourself by doing something you enjoy. When you
> get back to studies you will be more energized and
> ready to go.
>
> As for why you are studying, only you know the
> real reason why smile


I tried, and took the time off and went away to relax, but still stressful. The main reason I study this is trying to impress myself and the other people, which it's so silly...

One of my project is due on tomorrow, and I still clueless...
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:42PM
hehe, tempting..
But in only a few more months it will all be over(and I will never have to put up with academic bullshit again).
So to drop out now would be foolish.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Re: so tired of study...
September 04, 2008 04:57PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hehe, tempting..
> But in only a few more months it will all be
> over(and I will never have to put up with academic
> bullshit again).
> So to drop out now would be foolish.

Thanks and I agree, also it's R25,000 will be thrown in the water... I shouldn't do that, but you see, sometimes is so hard to quit than carry on!
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 05, 2008 01:15PM
With just COS301 of my (now 5) being the only Computer Science module, I found this to be the worse year for me. I have no motivation for INF, STA etc.
When I started I spent so much time on the COM SCI, + Math modules, but have no interest for the rest.
I have a 3 week gap between COS301 and INF/PLS exams and have not spent more than 2 hours with those modulues this year. So only once COS301 is done will I look at the rest.
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 08, 2008 08:47AM
Nancy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't even see the end... I hate programming,
> but I still choose computer sci, what's the matter
> with me?confused smiley

"No matter how far you have gone down the wrong path, turn back"

- Turkish proverb
Anonymous User
Re: so tired of study...
September 08, 2008 09:34AM
I have also read that not completing a journey invites the devil/evil spirits/negative influences into your life....
Re: so tired of study...
September 08, 2008 09:58AM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have also read that not completing a journey
> invites the devil/evil spirits/negative influences
> into your life....


I don't want invite "them" for sure... I will just bite my teeth and go forward...
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 08, 2008 10:02AM
hmm not all journeys need to end in success, nor do they have to end in tragedy if it can be avoided, so the sayings aren't necessarily at odds...
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 10, 2008 03:33PM
If you don't enjoy programming get out before you end up chained at a desk maintaining code you didn't even have the displeasure of writing.

 
  ,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Re: so tired of study...
September 10, 2008 06:35PM
ilanpillemer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you don't enjoy programming get out before you
> end up chained at a desk maintaining code you
> didn't even have the displeasure of writing.


You are right, but it's too late now, there is no way for me to quit,I just need to complete this hons and then for sure I am not going to do any coding future more.

Right now, I am still stuck with my Symbian project, all I need to do is to add the voice recoding over the still images, and then display the images like the slide show together with the voice (describe the images).
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 08:25AM
how the hell did you make it to hons without knowing how to code? did you just piggy back on your fellow students?
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 08:31AM
Its UNISA, most UNISA students I have seen get comp sci bsc. without even knowing what a linker is let alone how to code...

Lets face it there is essentially no practical, and the programming parts of the exams are typically very predictable and parrotable.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 08:34AM
I think Nancy knows how to code - its the Symbian coding and if I recall correctly possibly some graphics things she doesn't know how do do all that well
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:21AM
Randal Flag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how the hell did you make it to hons without
> knowing how to code? did you just piggy back on
> your fellow students?


Well, I do know how to code in C++, Qt4, Java, Delphi, SQL, which I learnt from UNISA, but I didn't know how to code in OpenGL, Symbian, Blender, ect., which I didn't learn from UNISA and is needed by UCT.
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:26AM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its UNISA, most UNISA students I have seen get
> comp sci bsc. without even knowing what a linker
> is let alone how to code...
>
> Lets face it there is essentially no practical,
> and the programming parts of the exams are
> typically very predictable and parrotable.


You are right, UCT's students sit in the Lab the whole day, just coding. I looked at the second year student's Java code for the ECG heart monitoring sensor to connect with PC via Bluetooth, it's amazing how well it has been done. Yes, the UNISA students are lack of more practical for the comp sci.
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:34AM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Nancy knows how to code - its the Symbian
> coding and if I recall correctly possibly some
> graphics things she doesn't know how do do all
> that well


Thank you celene, always so supportive thumbs up. You are right, I do some problem with Symbian, but mainly because I am lazy, there is anything too difficult if you put a lot of effort in it. Well, at this stage, I am just tired to learn any new programming language every single time, and there is many more to learn... I just install the NS in my Windows machine for the MPLS traffic engineering, again, it's a whole new programming language to learn and it doesn't like Windows.
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:40AM
lycium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hmm not all journeys need to end in success, nor
> do they have to end in tragedy if it can be
> avoided, so the sayings aren't necessarily at
> odds...


Inspired by you, I went to talk with my supervisor and discussed about my situation, he did give me some solutions and suggestions, like change the project scope, let me to contact with Nokia development center for more supports... I think I will be able to avoid the tragedy. smile
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:45AM
ilanpillemer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you don't enjoy programming get out before you
> end up chained at a desk maintaining code you
> didn't even have the displeasure of writing.


That is why I struggle so much now, because I don't want to write the poor code, I want to do it nicely and professionally, that is why I will have to put more effort in it. Program for handset is very different with PC programming, you have to always make sure to clean the stack or heap, and leave nothing behind, as you can not expect the user to switch on off the handset all the time.
avatar Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 10:53AM
You should be doing that for pc programs as well tongue sticking out smiley
You probably just need more experience though.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Re: so tired of study...
September 11, 2008 11:02AM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should be doing that for pc programs as well
> tongue sticking out smiley
> You probably just need more experience though.


Yeah, we should and I willsmile. You are very right here, I do need more experience... the more I code, the better I become smile. Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login