Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good vs. evil

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
May 19, 2008 08:35AM
I have heard how many times that each person has a good and evil side, but it is a very thin layer of conditioning that makes us human, but underneath we are nothing bu animals....

Is it necessarily true to have good and evil, or do you think there are people who are purely evil and purely good?
May 19, 2008 09:16AM
Iago was purely evil - a malevolent malignity.

But honestly, since when are animals evil?
Did Jesus have an evil side, if he was human?

Anyway what's BA doing thinking about such topics... seems to be wacky.. what happened someone shoot your dog?

Freud writes about the Thanatos and Eros as the two instinctual drives. (the pleasure principle and the death drive).

You then get the various philosophers. Nietsche (for example) who said something like, and I quote Shakespeare -: "Conscience, makes cowards of us all....". But he wrote quite a devilish book called "Beyond Good and Evil".

I think perhaps you should go and do a bit more reading on this.

I suggest "Ancient philosophy for beginners" as a starting point.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anonymous User
Re: Good vs. evil
May 19, 2008 09:35AM
animals are not evil, they are just following their instincts. I think only something with a "developed" consciousciouciosu can be evil. No one can be perfectly good.
May 19, 2008 10:29AM
"Anyway what's BA doing thinking about such topics... seems to be wacky.. what happened someone shoot your dog?"

Most BA's also have a conscious!
May 19, 2008 10:34AM
I watched silence of the lambs again last night...and wondered, if we were not governed by law, how many of us would have killed someone in a fit of rage? You know the saying...."he is only alive because its illegal to kill him"
May 19, 2008 11:06AM
I think they are social concepts/categories, ie we aren't either when we are alone (imagine Hannibal as the only human on the planet), but when we are surrounded by other humans we need to act for the better of our 'pack', and our actions are measured by a degree of 'betterness' by our peers. The better for your neighbour, the more 'good' you become and vica versa. It's a natural grading system to ensure that we will let not only our species, but our society survive (ie enemies to our society are often deemed 'evil'winking smiley.

When I consider the good/evil debate, I remind myself of how certain acts in our society are now considered evil, but carried no particular strong feelings some years ago (for example, the love of young boys by older men in Ancient Greece was common and open, and in our modern society is deemed a great evil) - it makes me realise that our current views will likely not be the norm some hundred years from now.

A humbling thought :/
May 19, 2008 11:07AM
well i would not have...

geez...

weirdo.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
May 19, 2008 11:09AM
not weird....but you know how easily it happens, road rage gets out of control etc...

Illan, I know where you live....bbwwwaaa hahahaha!!!!
Anonymous User
May 19, 2008 11:23AM
then I must be evil because if there was no law saying it was illegal to kill people there would have been some people I would have killed already sad smiley
May 19, 2008 11:30AM
I always think that it's just circumstance that separates us from 'ordinary' killers - if someone threatened me or harmed someone I loved I think I could be capable of killing in retaliation, hell, as rklopper mentioned - something as silly as roadrage could awaken the primal in an ordinary person, given the right circumstances.
May 19, 2008 11:43AM
exactly, thats why I refuse to own a gun. You never know if you might temporarily lose your mind....
Anonymous User
May 19, 2008 12:01PM
If a tree falls in a forest when there's no one around to hear, will it still make a noise? If you do evil when there's no-one around to judge it, is it still evil?
May 19, 2008 12:03PM
the problem is that you are not at the tree when it falls, but you are there when you do evil, as well as someone else, as how could you do evil if it is not against someone else? Unless it is against yourself, but then you are still there....
Anonymous User
May 19, 2008 12:05PM
What if you don't think it's evil, but someone else might, and they're not there. Is it evil?
May 19, 2008 12:15PM
Yeh, thats my question I was asking. In the movie, Hannibal never thought he was doing wrong. He knew however that other people thought it is wrong, the difference between "right and wrong" according to preconditioned societal norms...
Anonymous User
May 19, 2008 12:17PM
Are you having a crisis of conscience, Riaan? Is there something you need to tell us?
May 19, 2008 12:21PM
hehehe, no man. I just always question our views of what humanity should be. I personally believe no matter all these rules we gave ourselves, deep inside we are no more evolved than 5 thousand years ago. Maybe our self awareness, but all the instincts are still there...Might explain the level of depression, as we keep on suppressing it. We were meant to be running in the field, living in a cave, dragging woman by their hair smiling smiley thumbs up smiley
May 20, 2008 10:49AM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> animals are not evil, they are just following
> their instincts. I think only something with a
> "developed" consciousciouciosu can be evil. No
> one can be perfectly good.

Humans are also animals, only with more complex
instincts (hint read an article or two about
genetic wiring).

The idea of "souls" was invented by man, hence man
restricts the definition of a soul to men only. Same
goes for consciousness(sp?).

On the other hand, if you insist that men have souls
then you would have to concede that animals have
souls too (as we are not much different from them).
May 20, 2008 11:54AM
animals are not evil.....but yet they kill, and we call that instinct....humans kill, they are evil? Isnt it just a frame of reference?
Anonymous User
May 20, 2008 01:03PM
most of us don't eat the other people we kill.

on that note though does it make psychos wo eat their murder victims more "normal" than just an ordinary killer?
May 20, 2008 01:11PM
Exactly what I was thinking, but then I thought, animials wont eat their same species smiling smiley We do eat other animals, so I guess we are more normal then smiling smiley
May 20, 2008 01:15PM

Exactly what I was thinking, but then I thought, animials wont eat their same species
Not true for many animals.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
May 20, 2008 01:57PM
Yeh, I know some mothers eat their young.....quite disgusting sad smiley You might as well eat your own leg....same DNA!
May 20, 2008 01:59PM

You might as well eat your own leg....same DNA!
Some animals do that as well.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
May 20, 2008 02:03PM
jig!!!!
May 20, 2008 02:17PM
talk about biting the hand that feeds you....
May 21, 2008 08:07AM
I believe everyone has some evil side. Under enough pressure or provocation, it comes out. Most of us never have to experience it because we are never subjected to enough pressure.

Sometimes things that are considered evil are justifiable. Some years ago there was a movie called 'ALIVE' based on a true story. Some plane crashed on a snowy mountain somewhere and the survivisors had to eat the dead to suvive. It was most interesting that even the strongest one (emotionally and morally) among them ended up eating human flesh albeit later than all the others.
May 21, 2008 09:14AM
How do you classify what is evil and what is good?
If I judge somebody am I evil or is somebody called evil only when they murder or rape or commit a serious crime?
Sounds like its up to everybody to use their moral compass to decide.
May 21, 2008 09:17AM
yeh, i think its defined by your own frame of reference. Thats why I said, if it wasnt for the law.....people would have relapsed into their primitive sides....
Anonymous User
May 21, 2008 09:27AM
I know what is good and what is bad/evil, but right now I feel like Iam at the point where I would not care. I am about 1cm from being pushed over the edge and if enough people bug me today they will get their heads smashed in with my laptop.

Luckily because I am invisible, no-one will notice that its me doing the smashing *grrr*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login