Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BSc. hons

Posted by Nancy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
BSc. hons
May 12, 2008 12:05PM
My experence: if you had your BSc.in IT through UNISA, you shouldn't do your BSc. hons in CS through UCT.

It's just so hard for me... There is no text book at UCT, there is no way for me to perview the material before the lecture... You need a online laptop during the lecture so you can answer some of the quesiton by googleing...the lecture's slides only avaiable after the class. There is no time for you to study. I am having 10 moduels and one hons' project now. Today is the first time, I am having a little time to stop here! sad smiley
May 12, 2008 12:07PM
hey nancy girl! How is it going? Good to hear from you again!

Why is there no text book? Surely there must e a course plan at least? Or do they make it up as they go along?
Re: BSc. hons
May 12, 2008 12:16PM
I was so miserable for the past few month. esp. when I have to create a 3D dart game, well, I didn't have any Game programming courses with UNISA, such like OpenGL or Blendar,irrlicht,Newton... I have to learn all of them from scrach within one week!! Just to install them and work in Dev-C++ took me two days... now you can image my life!

Well, the lectures upload some notes on the website, but most subject has no prescribed text book. The best weapon for me here is GOOGLE, I can not imaging how my life would be if there is no google!

They do have some very interesting subject, have you heard of the Robocup? I am so interested in robot and agents, but there are so many programming involved.

Guess what is my hons' project?
May 12, 2008 12:22PM
oh, forget to mention, we have all sort of exams... open book(you should know), 24 hrs take home exam and 72 hrs take home exam, Yes, that is so cool! I just don't understand what if someone else write the paper for you... esp. the students knowing the PhD or master students. I think the UNISA's exam is much harder and valuable.
May 12, 2008 12:27PM
hehehe, from my experience now, a MSc or PhD student would not have time to write the paper smiling smiley
May 12, 2008 01:07PM
at this stage, I have to read A LOT papers.
Anonymous User
May 12, 2008 01:11PM
but thats normal for an honours degree at a full time university sad smiley
May 12, 2008 01:14PM
I'm going to do my honours next year at UCT. What kind of marks did you get at UNISA for UCT acceptance, Nancy?
May 12, 2008 03:36PM
I talked to the lecturer, they said the Master will be easier, since there is just a big project, you don't have that many lecture to attend.
May 12, 2008 03:43PM
I am finding my masters much more work than my honours....much much more sad smiley
Anonymous User
May 12, 2008 04:13PM
my full time honours was more work than my part time masters. I also had some lectures to go to and I took almost 4 years to get the report done - problems with supervisor being MIA. Riaan - maybe your masters is more work because you are trying to do it in a short space of time?
May 12, 2008 07:33PM
TRying to do that yes, but supervisors are also expecting allot....presentations at conferences, journal submissions, workshops, etc etc.

My one supervisor is so committed, he wants us to go on a break away and work ourselves int a coma on a paper we need to submit....a whole weekend, with a supervisor, thats depressing!
Anonymous User
May 13, 2008 07:56AM
is that the very gay looking supervisor winking smiley he looks like he would have ulterior motives winking smiley

on a serious note though - I find that you need to put your foot down - if the supervisor is being too lax or too "driven". They work at a university with their projects all the time, sometimes they forget that a student may actually have another job and a life that they need to sort out as well. If you feel you are being too pressurised then tell them you need to slow down a bit. There is no point in doing badly at your normal job or having friction in your marriage just becuase you are doing your masters. Yes, there will be some sacrifices, most likely in your personal life, but don't let it damage things beyond repair!!
May 13, 2008 08:49AM
Well if you had done the graphics course last year you would be familiar with OpenGL.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
May 20, 2008 10:41AM
I haven't done any graphic course.sad smileyMy hons project this year is to design the software for handphone in Symbia C++, any of you have any suggestions to programming in Symbia?
Anonymous User
May 20, 2008 01:33PM
You mean Symbian, which as far as I understand it is an operating system for small devices and PDA's etc.

It doesn't sound like English is your first language (no offense meant - just got that from the way you write on this forum). It must be so hard to do your studies in a second language.

anyway good luck with it.
Anonymous User
May 20, 2008 10:30PM
i wonder if Qtopia will work on Symbian
May 21, 2008 09:03PM
That sounds like immense fun. Can you email me the the spec for the project.

Maybe I could do it as a hobby to destress.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
May 22, 2008 12:46PM
just emailed you...
May 22, 2008 12:47PM
thornza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You mean Symbian, which as far as I understand it
> is an operating system for small devices and PDA's
> etc.
>
> It doesn't sound like English is your first
> language (no offense meant - just got that from
> the way you write on this forum). It must be so
> hard to do your studies in a second language.
>
> anyway good luck with it.

You are right, sorry about my poor English... I am still busy learning it.

I am using the Symbian C++ for S60 platform of Nokia phones.
May 22, 2008 04:19PM
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/resources/tools_and_sdks/index.html#cpp

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login