Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley energy saving

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
confused smiley energy saving
April 18, 2008 02:40PM
How are we supposed to save energy when *no-one* makes energy saving light bulbs that fit all kinds of light fittings? Yesterday I spent a few hours going around shops trying to find energy saving light bulbs that will fit the light fittings at home. The thingy that you screw into he fitting is waaay too big. pfft to all their energy saving crap!
avatar confused smiley Re: energy saving
April 19, 2008 10:00AM
We also needed to replace some bulbs and found the correct one in a hardware store! Checkers and Pick 'n Pay didn't have any.
April 19, 2008 02:44PM
@Celene: Check your hardware store. I saw that Builders Warehouse have all the sizes and fittings.

The only conversion that is a problem is if you have a dimmer switch. You need to have this either disabled or replaced.

I'm almost done switching and have not had any problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
confused smiley Re: energy saving
April 20, 2008 02:56PM
at my previous flat an eskom representative showed up unanounced one night and replaced all the bulbs with energy effiecient ones, for free.
Anonymous User
April 21, 2008 09:45AM
I did look at builders warehouse, checkers and pick n pay. Ialso looked at some lighting store. They wanted to charge me R50 for one lightbulb without letting me look at the thing. I found out later it would not have fit. To replace my lightbulbs at R45 a shot will cost me almost R500. My electricity bill doesn't even come to R250 a month.
April 21, 2008 11:22AM
@celene

Try electrical shops. R45 a bulb is a rip off - that was their price 7yrs ago. The most I've paid was R25 (and this was a specialized bulb) - on average R12. Try GAME as they are the cheapest.

I get mine from Benbel Somerset West - they use to be MICA.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Anonymous User
April 21, 2008 11:34AM
i will go to our mica this week smiling smiley thanks!
Mac
April 23, 2008 07:33AM
Have been living in my new (and self-build, I'll let you know) environmentally friendly energy conscious house for 5 months now. I have had to replace 3 energy saving bulbs from the bathrooms already! I mention bathroom since it is not like they are on for hours at a time. They have thus cost me more than a standard globe would have + the electricity charge. Maybe a bad batch, but I am not convinced. Until these things are guaranteed or free, I will stand aside thanks.
Anonymous User
April 23, 2008 07:39AM
faulty wiring maybe?
April 23, 2008 07:40AM
use candles.....
April 23, 2008 08:03AM
i've changed all my light bulbs about a year ago and have switched off my geyser at certain intervals, and did not see a difference in my electricity bill. whats even stranger is the fact that we have load shedding everyday(with the exception of sundays) for 2 hours a day, and 4 hours on wednesdays.
but i am still not seeing any diffrence in my electricity bill?
Anonymous User
April 23, 2008 08:09AM
they say you will only see a 5% decrease (supposedly) BUT, they switch the power off when most people are not at home, so basically you aren't generally using power at that time anyhow.

I have also heard that it takes more power to heat your geyser again from scratch (when you switch it off) as compared to just letting it run all the time.

They should switch the power off from 12 till 4 in the morning - all those stupid car selling palces along the R21 that have so many lights on you can probably see them from the moon.
April 23, 2008 08:14AM
My tumble dryer broke, and I opted to not fix it. I also put a timer switch on the pump of the koi pond....and I invested in a gas heater. We basically use electricity for microwave, TV, electric garage, lights, and geyser. I am now also looking at getting a gas stove and gas geyser...
April 23, 2008 08:18AM
the geyser thing i stopped when i realised that it wasnt having any impact anyway.
unfortunately the load shedding usually occurs when i am at home busy on my pc (assignments), which is why i purchased a laptop.
any way there is always someone at my house 24/7, so we wouldnt actually be using less in those periods.
i do agree however regarding businesses in the cbd utillising excessive lighting in the evenings, that could be better utilised elsewhere.
April 23, 2008 08:22AM
I just wonder how this is going to affect the population. I remember in the states, there was a big power outage, and 9 moths later there was an increase in the birth rate.....when did load shedding start, add 9 months, results would be interesting smiling smiley
April 23, 2008 08:25AM
apparently the government has taken that into consideration, and that is why load shedding occurs during the day when people are supposed to be at work.
but you do have a valid point....a candle lit room, with nothing better to do?
April 23, 2008 08:26AM
Don't worry, our energy saving bulbs only lasted 6 months... Seems to be the norm. Wonder who's making the money here? My husband says it's all a conspiracy - well, everything bad is a conspiracy for him, but it's funny that we don't have electricity, but still export it to the neighbouring countries.
Anonymous User
April 23, 2008 08:29AM
there are suburbs that have outages between 6 and 10pm, so we need to watch those ones in 9 months time winking smiley
avatar confused smiley Re: Re: energy saving
April 23, 2008 08:31AM
sandmanr35 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> apparently the government has taken that into
> consideration, and that is why load shedding
> occurs during the day when people are supposed to
> be at work.
> but you do have a valid point....a candle lit
> room, with nothing better to do?

Didnt they do that because there is not such a bog demand during the day, so they rather use the elec in the commercial areas?
April 23, 2008 08:40AM
its all eskom's call at the end of the day.
they tell government they must shed x amount of MW at specific times and then government decides to cycle through certain zones to get to the required amount.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login