Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Career Advice

Posted by sandmanr35 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Career Advice
April 16, 2008 05:45AM
Hi All
I need some advice, i am working in the manufacturing business for a few years and have reached a point where i am basically "gatvol" and have resigned.
i started this year with the certificate in datametrics.
Now this is where i need some guidance.
i can either do a four month course (full time) to become a linux system administrator with a training company in Pta after which they place you with a company for 6months to do an internship with the possibility of permanent employment, or i can go do a few quick courses like A+, N+ or MCSE, etc.
I am really stuck on what i should do and would appreciate any and all advice or critism.
Thx
Mac
Re: Career Advice
April 16, 2008 07:23AM
I would suggest you do the linux system admin with internship - with linux it is experience that counts and that gets you employed. While doing the internship, do quick courses just to show prospective employers that you are keen to learn. I would also suggest that you do project management courses and the like. Ultimately you don't want to be an administrator for the rest of your life..... it is much nicer to tell others what to do smiling smiley
Anonymous User
April 16, 2008 07:51AM
I agree with mac smiling smiley
Anonymous User
April 16, 2008 08:42AM
and I agree with Celene. Transitively, I would agree with mac too
April 16, 2008 08:48AM
Thx
Three yays and no Nays. the yays have it.
Thx again, i appreciate the input.
April 16, 2008 09:11AM
i agree with rick
April 16, 2008 10:18AM
I agree with Mac, Celene, Rick, Randal.

I got an A+ and did my CompTIA exams - only job I could get was working for cash converters.

I too am doing my Cert in Datametrics. I work in a Linux environment and your future skills are most needed - I had started my MCSE (home study) and stopped it when I started my job. Linux was more fun smile

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
April 16, 2008 11:57AM
Rick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Transitively, I would agree with mac too

nice winking smiley
April 16, 2008 01:31PM
Experience can be the difference between you and the guy with the degree/certificate, but not the experience. If you can do both, it would be great. That's why we (and our employers) like Unisa - we work and study (well, surposed too).
Anonymous User
September 04, 2008 12:41PM
Which training company are you doing the linux course with?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login