Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joomla

Posted by Henry 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
March 31, 2008 02:12PM
Any of you tried Joomla for websites? Is it worth the bother?
Re: Joomla
March 31, 2008 02:59PM
I have tried several CMS systems. I don't like Joomla although its meant to be the leading CMS. Although it has a lot of possible modules due to its age, my main problem is that it was an early system and has developed organically.

I use E107 and have done several websites with it. There are plenty of templates to use as a basis for designs, and the plug-ins are generally good quality. The plug-ins are separated from core files completely so there is no merging of files. And when there is an upgrade you can do it without worrying that you will crash the system.

http://e107.org
http://e107coders.org
http://e107designs.org
www.portedthemes.com - the best quality templates. You have to change the graphics but the basic structures are done for you.

I have a test server on www.intercommunity.co.za where you can see some sites under construction and test areas.
April 01, 2008 12:34PM
I have tried Joomla as the only cms and its pretty good. V 1.5 is excellent. Its not difficult to set up at all. Takes about 5 minutes. Play with it and decide for yourself.
April 01, 2008 01:05PM
When I looked into this last year for a long term project at work, I rather liked it. We decided not to take as we are coding in Symfony now. But, for smaller projects we might consider Joomla.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Mac
April 02, 2008 07:25AM
Only use Joomla (about 20 installations so far with no problems) but you will have to keep it updated.
April 02, 2008 12:34PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I only want to use something simple for now for my product launch on the web. If it is successful I will revisit.
April 04, 2008 10:12PM
I have been reading up on Drupal and it has good reviews. Has anyone used it and what did you think of it compared with the other CMS's.
April 05, 2008 04:10PM
Hi dianne, it really depends on what you want to achieve. I like Drupal in that it was really quick to get going. There seems to be a lot of South African companies using Drupal for their intranets.

Correct me please guys, but it seems that Drupal is CMS with training wheels. Gets you going real fast with a safety net and when your ready you can go solo - without the training wheels. You don't need to be a pro PHP developer to get results.

Joomla seems to have more power but requires a better knowledge of WAMP/LAMP to benefit from it. It seemed (last year) not to have as many plugins as Drupal. But I must say that Joomla CMS sites are far superior than Drupals.

Best bet, try both of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
April 05, 2008 07:55PM
I've set up a site with Drupal, and love it! Very quick, very easy, but has all the plugins and customisations that you could possibly want
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login