Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

outstanding fines

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
March 31, 2008 07:08AM
Just checked on www.payfine.co.za,

My outstanding fines are R1000....what is yours?
March 31, 2008 07:18AM
R0.00

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
March 31, 2008 07:19AM
How did you manage that? You have bugs on your rear wind shield? smiling smiley
March 31, 2008 07:21AM

How did you manage that? You have bugs on your rear wind shield?
I have good eyesight and don't drive like a moron.(I actually do speed quite often but not in places where there are cameras and/or it is unsafe to be doing so)

--
March 31, 2008 07:23AM
So if someone has fines, he/she is driving like a moron? confused smiley
March 31, 2008 07:24AM
Most likely yes. Especially if they are getting them regularly.

If you don't have good enough alertness/vision to spot cops before they catch you(and good enough reaction time to do something about it) then you should not be driving fast...

--
March 31, 2008 07:29AM
well, I have all of that, but still get fines, as I travel quite often on roads I have not been on yet. And then most people on this forum most likely drive like morons, according to your definition.
March 31, 2008 07:36AM

well, I have all of that, but still get fines, as I travel quite often on roads I have not been on yet.
Maybe you don't have what you think you do :/

And then most people on this forum most likely drive like morons, according to your definition.
Probably.. Sadly the majority of south african drivers fit my definition, hence our overly high road death fatalities(and non fatal accidents too).

--
Anonymous User
Re: outstanding fines
March 31, 2008 07:41AM
I drive fast (140+) when I go to middleburg. Its a dead straight boring road, with not that many cars. My going fast then makes up for my monday to friday going 5km/h on the highway.

My balance right now is 0. But I know I am going to get a few from the easter weekend.
March 31, 2008 07:48AM
@ malcolm, yep, maybe I dont have what I think I have....and my only claim was not being a moron smiling smiley

That makes me think, you claim to not drive like a moron, but at the same time you state that you do speed? And also continue by saying that the people who get fines add to the road accidents....so, if you dont get caught it is fine, you can still speed and its safe?

Just wondering? smiling smiley
March 31, 2008 07:49AM
PS: all my fines are R100, R200....I dont speed, those are usually 11km/h to 15km/h over the limit...
March 31, 2008 08:02AM

That makes me think, you claim to not drive like a moron, but at the same time you state that you do speed? And also continue by saying that the people who get fines add to the road accidents....so, if you dont get caught it is fine, you can still speed and its safe?
As stated before I only speed where it is safe to do so.
Good visibility, safe following distance(not attached to the car in front of mes bumper), road not falling apart etc..

Also when I do so I make sure I have a high level of alertness, this allows me to spot cops a mile off and react by slowing down.
It would also allow me to(and has allowed me to before) spot other dangers(such as a car stopped in the middle of the road or a cow crossing the road etc...) a mile off and do the same thing.

Speed is only dangerous under certain circumstances. These circumstances happen to be the same circumstances under which it is hard to spot a cop.
If you cannot spot a cop in time to slow down as you are coming over a hill(low distance visibility) would you have been able to spot something less obvious(but more life threatening) and come to a complete halt?? (To spot a cop you don't even need to spot the cop himself but could even just notice other cars in the distance suddenly slowing down etc..)

Speeding does not make you a bad driver. Doing so inappropriately does...
When you find yourself regularly stating(in a somewhat proud way) that you owe in excess of R1000 fines. Perhaps you fall in the second category.

I have received two fines ever, one for jumping a stop street(which I did not actually jump), and one for going 131 in a 120 zone(I was actually going 130 but there camera was obviously not tuned correctly).

In the last year and a half alone, I have driven 70000km's. Much of it on roads that I have not been on before.

Obviously I(hopefully) have never seen you drive so I will not call you a moron directly. Just stating the trends that I personally have seen while on the roads.

--
March 31, 2008 08:13AM
"As stated before I only speed where it is safe to do so."

IMO there is NO place where it is safe to speed, although you might be a good driver, others might not be.

I might have fines, but I am usually only marginally over the limit. With my new car I opted for speed control, as it usually happens because with my previous car the speed was difficult to feel if you didnt watch the speedometer the entire time.

My wife was in a big accident 5 years ago. She was going down to Durban, and her then boyfriend was also speeding in a "safe" situation....empty straight road, well maintained road. A car lost control coming in the opposite direction, and hit them head on. The other car was doing 160, they were doing 140. He died on impact, and she was badly injured. He could not turn out at that speed, as he would have been able to do at 120....she still maintains that. They also thought it is safe, good visibility, straight road.....but ti was the other driver, and because of the speed he couldnt react.

So, IMO, I dont think it is safe to speed anywhere, too many variables to consider.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 08:13AM
everyone in a car is a moron at some time.
March 31, 2008 08:18AM
or....everyone driving a taxi....
I wonder if taxi drivers ever pay their fines....
Anonymous User
yeah. speed really does kill. All the car collisions I have been in (2 serious ones) have involved speed.
It's all about reaction time (and, of course, roadworthiness). Therefore, there cannot be a safe time to speed, because your reaction time is reduced. There can be no "safe" time to speed, unless you're on the moon, alone in your buggy. Even then, you could overturn on some hidden crater.
That said, yes I'm a moron on the highway sometimes by sometimes pushing 140 in the fast lane.
March 31, 2008 08:51AM
Well ideally we would not be driving cars at all, I rather hate having to drive everywhere.

By safe I guess I really mean unlikely that you personally are going to cause a collision. (A meteor may still hit you out of nowhere).

If you are going 10/20 kms over the speed limit, in a well maintained car, on a highway that is seperated from the other direction by a barrier, with no cars in front of you for a fairly large distance(And visibility for miles) then you are relatively unlikely to do so.(I would even venture to say no more likely then if you were going exactly at the speed limit)

The guy who crashed into me last year probably wouldn't have done so if he wasn't speeding. He definitely also wouldn't have done so if he was watching where he was going, or had proper tyre tread, or was not overloaded.
Speed might have been a factor but it was definitely not the cause(And I would argue this for the majority of accidents).
Blaming everything entirely on speed is convenient and naive.

--
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 08:54AM
Ok, so if everyone was within the speed limit (sobriety and roadworthiness a given) there wouldn't be a reduction in collisions?
March 31, 2008 08:56AM
"If you are going 10/20 kms over the speed limit, in a well maintained car, on a highway that is seperated from the other direction by a barrier, with no cars in front of you for a fairly large distance(And visibility for miles) then you are relatively unlikely to do so.(I would even venture to say no more likely then if you were going exactly at the speed limit)"

Except if your tire burst becuase of increased temperatures at higher speeds spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"The guy who crashed into me last year probably wouldn't have done so if he wasn't speeding. He definitely also wouldn't have done so if he was watching where he was going, or had proper tyre tread, or was not overloaded."

Sounds like a taxy smiling smiley
March 31, 2008 08:57AM
I mean taxi....spelling is crashing today!
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 08:59AM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The guy who crashed into me last year probably
> wouldn't have done so if he wasn't speeding. He
> definitely also wouldn't have done so if he was
> watching where he was going

It's about the reaction times, and speed, o wise one.
March 31, 2008 08:59AM

Ok, so if everyone was within the speed limit (sobriety and roadworthiness a given) there wouldn't be a reduction in collisions?
Sure there would be to some extent.
The same would apply if everyone paid attention though.
Or to a larger extent if everyone obeyed a safe following distance.

A person driving on someone elses bumper at 120 is just as likely to smash into the person in front of them as if they were both going 140.
Driver stupidity is IMHO a far larger cause of accidents then speed will ever be.
(Slow stupid drivers are of course less likely to kill themselves though)

--
March 31, 2008 09:00AM

Sounds like a taxy
Nope, bakkie.

--
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 09:01AM
but how many slow pokes going 80 in the fast lane do not also cause accidents? at that speed they should be in the slow or middle lanes. Leave the fast lane for people going over 110 km/h.

does anyone know accident stats for the autobahn?
March 31, 2008 09:02AM

malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The guy who crashed into me last year probably
> wouldn't have done so if he wasn't speeding. He
> definitely also wouldn't have done so if he was
> watching where he was going

It's about the reaction times, and speed, o wise one.
And If I am going 140 but am alert and spot something immediately and react immediately, do you not think that I might stop before someone going 120 who only spots that they need to stop 5 seconds after I did and then reacted slowly to even that?

--
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 09:02AM
A few years ago, they were doing tests with an Audi A4. The stopping distance from 120km/h and 140km/h increases by something like 80m. Therefore your reaction time (already measured in split seconds) has to almost halve. This is not humanly possible.

FYI did you know that cockroaches so far have the fastest reaction times? Something like 8/1000 of a second.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 09:06AM
so, what you are saying is I must breed a big cockraoch to become my chauffeaur? So that one I found in the microwave the other day - in the actual part where the time is displayed, is on its way to becoming my driver yeeh!
March 31, 2008 09:07AM

So that one I found in the microwave the other day - in the actual part where the time is displayed
LOL, how odd I have seen a microwave with one there before..
I wonder how they get there..

--
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 09:10AM
Celene, that sounds like a job for
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login