Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dear mac...

Posted by iva 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
iva
Dear mac...
March 27, 2008 08:33PM
What are the chances of getting forums in the other science departments ( Chemistry, maths, physics etc),

I'm doing non cos/inf modules this year and it sux not having forums. Like computer science other science subjects involve problem solving and would benefit from having forums, why haven't they done it yet?

That excuse for a "forum" they have on myunisa is a joke.

Unless you are doing one of the computer related courses you have no channel for communicating efficiently with students or even selling your old books
Re: Dear mac...
March 28, 2008 10:07AM
I agree. Please mac, can't you twist someones arm into letting you add MAT and PHY modules to your forum?
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 10:09AM
You non-CS students are not worthy tongue sticking out smiley
iva
March 28, 2008 01:00PM
I propose adding maths, physics, chemistry at least, nice to haves: biology and biochemistry....
trust me these subjects make COS and INF look like bedtime reading so i'd say worthy
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 01:05PM
chemistry isn't that bad, is more difficult than INF stuff but not cos
March 28, 2008 01:39PM
What!!!!!!!! You wish to raise the ire of the myUnisa plebs? Shame on you.
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 01:51PM
Yeah, stop troubling those poor hard-working individuals with such useless and non-essential requests. They've got more important things to do like manually typing in registration info into their database tongue sticking out smiley
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 01:57PM
oh and you non-CS students really are not worthy. All you'd do is further tie up system tongue sticking out smiley
iva
March 28, 2008 02:11PM
lol, all talk IT boys...
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 02:15PM
yeah that's what we do winking smiley

Seriously though, I support your bid to get a functional forum. MyUnisa really sucks.

btw, I'm also doing physics so I'd really appreciate it if something is done smiling smiley
Mac
March 28, 2008 03:20PM
Well, that is one of the first modules we're going to write in porting Osprey to myUnisa. I have to thank Ilan for pointing it out - to have phorum software running within myUnisa. But then again, maybe outside a frame within myUnisa. Which in effect means a simple link to phorum from inside Unisa.

I've been trying to convince them. Trust me.I think they don't like me sad smiley
March 28, 2008 05:54PM
But then again, is there anything stopping the almighty Mac from creating a phorum for other Sci modules on osprey??

Mac has all the power (BWA HA HA HA HA)
March 28, 2008 06:58PM
a forum for mat307 could make the difference between pass and fail for me actually, it's by far the most difficult i've taken at unisa and it sucks to do in isolation :|

mac, if you could put a vote / petition / other preferred democratic process in all the myunisa forums, linking to the course forums we have on osprey (showing how many years' worth of history there is archived!), i'm sure you'll get a lot of support.
March 28, 2008 10:16PM
Yeah I support that as well, we need good functioning forums. If they could bring back the sol system it would be 100 times better than myUnisa. myUnisa is just a shiny marketing toy.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 07:34AM
I just want to find out how those of us who did cos back in the 90's managed to survive with no osprey?
Mac
March 31, 2008 07:57AM
I've moved the myUnisa forum to the top of my SAKAI list ...
March 31, 2008 10:29AM
Mac, thank you for everything you do for us.
Mac
March 31, 2008 12:57PM
You pay our (meagre) salaries.... Having said that, only requests that makes sense to me as well will be accomodated smiling smiley I cannot for the life of me understand why Unisa continues with its current approach. Sigh. I have to make use of those forums to respond to an old TSA module. Eish.
Mac
March 31, 2008 01:02PM
And I've lost the other thread r.e. online hons registration which is closed. We will bring this up in a tuition comm meeting tomorrow, then maybe it will be dealt with.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 01:17PM
thanks mac, byt then it will be too late for us this year, I think most of us have managed to get registered via hello peter. and the closing date for our reg is 3 april sad smiley
March 31, 2008 03:02PM
If you are seeing the "other website development group" you can tell them that the resubmit function for assignments was a great idea. Instead of leaving things to the last minute (in case new information finally arrives via the post!) I am doing them right away. I resubmitted an assignment on the weekend and it worked very well.
March 31, 2008 03:12PM
why would you have to resubmit?
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 03:15PM
becasue they suddenly decide to fix /correct the assignment questions, then you nee to re-answer. It was better in the old days - they just didn't bother marking those questions winking smiley
March 31, 2008 03:16PM
never happened to me.
March 31, 2008 03:17PM
if you find you've made a mistake and wish to correct it. when i was doing assignments under heavy time pressure last year the ability to resubmit assignments would have been really really useful...

... but not as useful as a decent mat307 forum sad smiley
March 31, 2008 03:19PM
do them properly the first time.

Yes I know, I'm being a b*tch.

back to work.
March 31, 2008 03:23PM
Tracey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do them properly the first time.
>
> Yes I know, I'm being a b*tch.

that's ok, you're quite right that i should have paid a lot more attention to a third year pure maths course on graph theory and combinatorics (in which, unlike 3rd year applied maths subjects, you really need to get abstract).

say, how are your maths subjects coming along?
March 31, 2008 03:24PM
no you are being ignorant of the fact that unisa likes changing questions the last minute when everyone has already submitted their assignments.
March 31, 2008 03:24PM
I get tutorial letters so late its a joke. And so far I don't have Study Guides (500 series) for either Delphi or COS211X. I'm working through the text books on my own and using the internet to read lecture notes and forums from lecturers at real universities.

Last year I got the solutions to the last assignment 2 weeks after I wrote the exam!
March 31, 2008 03:29PM
here's an example from APM311 / COS332 last year where i would have really liked to resubmit an assignment; fortunately the lecturer was kind about it, because it was obvious...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login