Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Work Transport: Bike or Car

Posted by cbrunsdonza 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Work Transport: Bike or Car
March 26, 2008 04:50PM
I drive to work on my bike. More economical - petrol + service. Can avoid long traffic jams and don't have a problem with parking. thumbs up
Re: Work Transport: Bike or Car
March 26, 2008 05:06PM
not as safe as a car. thumbs down
March 26, 2008 05:54PM
You get a productive workout! If I could, I would use a bike to work but Joburg roads are not safe.thumbs up
avatar Re: Work Transport: Bike or Car
March 26, 2008 07:00PM
I ride on the R44 Somerset West - Stellenbosch. Very safe road as motorists are use to cyclist, pedestrians and tractors on the road. But I do agree that not that many roads are safe for bikes - never mind cars.
March 27, 2008 06:55AM
nothing is safe on the road.....I am also thinking of getting a bike. I cycle allot, so I am use to the psychology on the road of being invisible...

My only concern is it messes up your hair, and you arrive with bugs stuck to your legs.
Anonymous User
March 27, 2008 07:37AM
and in your teeth... I promise that I will try not to hit you as I go zooming through town at 5km an hour in my car winking smiley
March 27, 2008 08:36AM
Bike : I use the M1 frm New road to grayston. If u ride @ a decent speed u r more than ok....

and u shud realise that most ppl only wake up after that 1st cup of coffee @ WORK......
March 27, 2008 08:36AM
what are the hijacking stats on bikes? Surely less than cars?
March 27, 2008 09:52AM
rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what are the hijacking stats on bikes? Surely less
> than cars?

Yeah, interesting question: I don't think it is practical to hijack a bike to start of with. I tend to find that would be usual suspects feel intimidated by a biker in leathers, full face helmet, shades (and camo pants LOL )...
March 27, 2008 11:06AM
hehehe, the thing is, hijackers dont work alone, always in 3's or 4's (or mostly), it would have to be a solo hijacker that hijackers a bike, and bikes' spare parts cant be reused for taxis. I really dont think you are at hijack risk, maybe just at risk of being mugged....
Anonymous User
March 27, 2008 11:56AM
and knocked down
March 27, 2008 12:01PM
20% bicycle
20% car
60% company bus
March 27, 2008 12:53PM
I have quiet a few buddies with bikes and the only one who had any acidents should never have been allowed on the road to start off with - actually he did not even have a learners. End of the day he ended up being airlifted by medi-copter after his last (and hopefully final) bike crash.

Yes accidents do happen - but bikers are them selves to blame most of the time.
March 28, 2008 09:58AM
i ride to work on my bike from west rand into cbd. Its dangerous but i'm a hooligan.
Never been hijacked, never had my bike stolen, even if I forgot the key in it overnight. No bugs on my pants, but got hit with some shit in my face once. Don't know where it came from. Crashed into a beamer two years ago and cut my knee open on its rear light. 28 stitches outside and 5 stitches inside. Wouldn't give my bike away for anything.
March 28, 2008 10:24AM
Yeah Randal smile

I also love my bike, my wife moans that I must get a car. I've left my keys in my bike all day and never an issue. Can say that I learnt not to ride on a road with construction vehicles wearing only short paints... ouch is all I can say to the shrapnel being flicked up off the road... thumbs up smiley
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 10:54AM
oh.. I thought its cause the construction workers whistle at you...
March 28, 2008 11:20AM
...and that too. smile
March 28, 2008 01:29PM
I walk. From the bedroom to the study smile

Did you see the top Gear story on bikes - they held a competition for a cyclist and a guy in a fancy sports car (Ferrari or something), to drive right across London. The cyclist won easily.

I think one of those motorized bicycles would be just my scene if I could think of a way to not get hijacked!
March 28, 2008 01:30PM
you mean a motorbike?
Anonymous User
March 28, 2008 01:55PM
no, its a motorised bicycle. its got like a 10 cc engine or something.

or do you mean a motorbike won the cross london race? more likely to be a bicycle there as well, what with all the traffic and dumb american tourists walking all over the roads
March 28, 2008 02:43PM
I had to google this one to see it for myself.
What exactly is the point of it?

iva
March 28, 2008 07:18PM
better known as mopeds, very popular in some places i saw loads in italy, great if you don't need the speed of a motorbike ( they do better than some scooters)

also
- you don't need a licence and
- if you run out of gas you pedal
March 28, 2008 07:54PM
iva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> also
> - you don't need a licence and

Their seems to be confusion on this. In my municipal district (Helderberg), the traffic cops require the operator to have at least a learners licence. By law you do not need a vehicle licence if your engine capacity is 49cc or less.

So vehicle : 49cc <= no licence
Operator == must have licence

The issue is open to interpretation by your local authority. I had cleared it up with a couple of our cops when I wanted to get something similar.

Lets not even get started with insurance companies.
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 07:31AM
isn't a moped a 'vesper'. those silly things that can go max 60 km an hour. the things most 16 year old girls got back in the 80's and 90's?
March 31, 2008 07:53AM
I can go faster with my cervelo bicycle smiling smiley
Anonymous User
March 31, 2008 08:15AM
I could probably go faster with your cervelo bicycle!
March 31, 2008 11:39AM
Moped is a not a VESPA - two different brands.

VESPA is what Jammie Oliver rides on and goes for 60K - a moped is what no-body famous drives and cost about 3K...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
March 31, 2008 02:03PM
Both me and the wife has bikes. I do sometimes travel from Strand to Cape Town using the N2 on my Blade.

Most of the problems are not caused by the taxis. I found that the dudes driving their bakkies and 4x4s are more of a danger. Also the young chicks in their hot hatches drive like banshees!

Better to wizz fast past them and get them in the rear view mirror.
March 31, 2008 03:16PM
I saw a Vespa type scooter the other day with an extended windshield that goes over your head and behind you. So You don't get wet in the rain!!!

I had a Honda Moped when I first left home to get around. But in those days Durban had a fully functional bus service so it was used for getting to the beach on the weekends. It took 2 litres of petrol, which lasted me about a month.

Here's a photo (circa 1980).

March 31, 2008 03:17PM
pretty spiffy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login