Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting people to talk on forums?

Posted by dianne 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Getting people to talk on forums?
February 26, 2008 01:04PM
I have launched a website for Harley Davidson (Harley Owners Group or HOG) and it's got a forum. I can't get anyone to talk!!! They have a look at posts. But no chats, no suggestions? Is posting on forums an age thing?

It looks easy to me? Is there a technical problem I haven't noticed?

I've created a guest account for a day or two - if anyone has a spare moment please could you have a look and let me know your suggestions!

You are welcome to post but please don't misuse it!

username: guest
password: guestuser
www.hog-1000hills.co.za
Re: Getting people to talk on forums?
February 26, 2008 01:08PM
I've always found it that people in SA are not that big on posting in forums, especially the non-IT people
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 01:12PM
make some religious comment and you should get a few hundred postings winking smiley
avatar Re: Getting people to talk on forums?
February 26, 2008 01:14PM
rent a crowd smile
February 26, 2008 01:15PM
Depends on the purpose of the forum. I can't access the website right now. Is it down?
If there are many users that need to communicate on certain topics then people will post.
February 26, 2008 01:16PM
thats a good idea celene smiling smiley Start a new topic, and call it "Are bikers associated with Satanism?"
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 01:20PM
winking smiley

yeah, I tried to access the site now and I just get a page can't be displayed message
February 26, 2008 01:24PM
I can't believe it - the host is down. First time in months! I was just adding a Guestname, and it died. It wasn't one of you guys was it confused smiley
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 01:28PM
I got onto the site, I eventually found where I could make a new posting (forum pages are a bit confusing). I then typed in what I wanted and clicked "submit new thread" and it straight away goes to a page can't be displayed message... so maybe people are trying to make posts but get stuck?
February 26, 2008 01:30PM
ok, it's back. Although it seems a bit sluggish...
February 26, 2008 02:10PM
make a topic about how much harleys suck because they're always leaking oil all over the place. Also, say something like only fat middle aged men ride harleys.
February 26, 2008 02:14PM
ooh wait, I think I found your problem.

Quote "Any topic - this is a family orientated organisation and this forum is public, so please don't say anything that would bring our Chapter or any of its members into disrepute."

lol, any self respecting harley owner would rather be cursing about warm beer in bar than writing cute little sayings on a family friendly website.
February 26, 2008 04:22PM
It's quite funny - two of the HOG chapters I do refused a forum because they were so worried that the member's would go crazy and say evil things!

They probably gave this chapter a big lecture on etiquette now everyone is too terrified to say anything in case they get banned!
February 26, 2008 07:58PM
How many members does this "chapter" got...

Since HOG Membership Number is a required field for registration you are not going to get non members...

It's seems a bit exclusive...
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 08:16PM
Why don't you start something like say, "how often do you ride your bike" "Where's the funkiest places to ride" "Where is your chapter and how big is it" "Check out my dog Max's raybans" that sort of thing?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login