Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PC Games

Posted by Tracey 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
PC Games
January 19, 2008 01:00PM
I want to spoil myself with a new game. Any suggestions?

I'm open to any type of game except something that has very explicit graphics.
Re: PC Games
January 19, 2008 06:17PM
what platform?
January 19, 2008 06:44PM
@sandmanr35, lol...

@tracey, before the blight of january exams i was really enjoying playing the witcher (nothing too explicit unless you make an effort *winkwinknudgenudge*). if you're looking for good oldschool fun, check out the heroes of might and magic series, actually the older ones are the best (and will run on almost any computer).

you could also take a few minutes learn the best game ever, go: http://playgo.to/interactive/ (you can then play rick, velvet and me on the kgs server).
January 19, 2008 07:06PM
the withcher grabbed some of my friends and didn't let go.
not an RPG fan, but i respect it, and this game looks awesome.
i played Call of Duty 4 + BioShock last. Best games in a long time.
January 19, 2008 07:33PM
Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Sandman - PC - XP.
January 19, 2008 08:21PM
I heard Microsoft comes with an excellent Solitaire!!! smile
January 20, 2008 05:32PM
Finished call of duty- modern warfare, quite stunning.
the witcher isnt my scene (RPG) but it looked great, latest command and conquer and the latest oblivion looked quite good.
The crysis graphics engine is something to experience, even if you aren't into that. Bioshock was also quite good, Timeshift is stunning aswell.
Need for speed's latest Pro Speed for me personally was a dud.
My four year old daughter loves Tomb Raiders latest anniversary, which i must say was also quite enjoyable. i am hooked on valves Portal at this stage. But will probably still be playing counterstrike when they come to bury me.
January 20, 2008 05:54PM
even my 3ghz quadcore and geforce 8800 gts 640mb are scared of crysis sad smiley also, running it at 1280x800 even though i have a 1920x1200 screen would suck... well, maybe i'll check it anyway one day, certainly far cry did nothing for me so i'm hardly rushing it.

portal, on the other hand, ...
January 20, 2008 07:17PM
Pingus!

Puzzle games are the best.
January 20, 2008 07:55PM
I am currently into the "Jewel" style arcade games where you need to get 3-in-a-row to break a row. You don't need to think too much, you can relax and you can leave it any time to continue later.
A variation on Solitaire, Queen Solitaire, is also another of my favourates.
Last "real" games that I've played was Ceasar 3 & Age of Empires (The Age of Kings). I prefer the strategy games above combat and blood stuff.
Any update for current game players on the latest "Ceasar" type games available?
January 20, 2008 08:18PM
if you enjoy arcade games you should try M.A.M.E (multiple arcade machine emulator). basically it emulates the old arcade games which were found in all the local corner shops. there are just over 5000 games emulated with classics like pacman, donkeykong, airwolf..... you name it and it's been emulated.
January 20, 2008 08:51PM
Bonus points if you can beat marvel vs capcom :/

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
January 21, 2008 08:34AM
I love arcade games. I got the zsnes, visual boy, and the sega emulators. I lost mame somewhere but have to get it again.

Mk, street fighter, xmen, marvel vs capcom, those are fun. I also enjoyed Age of Empires and Max Payne. I hardly played many games but the few that I mention here are really good imo.

Will give Go a try sometime soon since I keep seeing Lycium giving that link smile
January 21, 2008 09:47AM
rockstar make the cooolest games

manhunt 2
January 21, 2008 08:25PM
true, but GTA series has gotten a little out of whack
January 22, 2008 07:55AM
last one I played was san andreas. It was excellent. The replayability is massive. Cant wait to see what gta4 holds in store. I started playing civ IV last night. its very addictive once you get into it.
January 28, 2008 05:36PM
Been playing Neverwinter Nights for the past 6 years now... And there shows my Geekness. Anyway, The Witcher so far is a brilliant game, an RPG Yes, but very well done story wise and action. Even some of my none RPG friends like it.

Other than that, I was one of the Beta testers for Sins of a Solar empire, due to be realesed in a couple of days. All I can say is... GET THAT GAME.

Sins of a Solar Empire
January 29, 2008 12:41PM
diablo 2 is still the king of all games... in my opinion, that is
January 29, 2008 01:01PM
it's a tie between ultima 7, diablo 2 and soldat for me. ultima7 is there out of respect for my past, not because i'm still playing it...
January 29, 2008 03:30PM
lycium Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's a tie between ultima 7, diablo 2 and soldat
> for me. ultima7 is there out of respect for my
> past, not because i'm still playing it..

I enjoyed Pagan Ultima 8 more... Man my old 486 was slow with that game.

I was a Wing Commander fan those days. right from wc1 right to wc5. Downloaded a 3 hours 2GB video of wing commander 4 this weekend where they removed the gameplay and only joined to movie together. Makes the hollywood movie wing commander look like a child put it together compared what Origin did when the made Wing commander 4.
January 29, 2008 03:35PM
the sense of exploration wasn't quite there with u8, mostly because of the lack of sea travel. also, not being able to brutally kill a whole church full of people in u8 (without first going to great pains to kill beren) sucked! still, both were excellent grinning smiley

btw, have a look around this page and indeed the whole site: http://www.it-he.org/ultima8.htm
here you can read about why u7 is better: http://www.it-he.org/ultima7.htm (hilarious!)
January 29, 2008 03:38PM
True...

But there was something special about sitting in a pentagram, lighting red and black candles to summon.... "assistance" in combat.
January 29, 2008 03:43PM
too bad you had to get the candles on EXACTLY the right pixels confused smiley

anyhoo i'mma get some sleep, an exciting day awaits!
January 30, 2008 09:47AM
My favourite game of all time is still tetris....I had it on attari as a child smiling smiley
January 30, 2008 09:58AM
January 30, 2008 11:55AM
Ay, Im also quite a game fan, Gears of War is the best game out there, no competition!!
January 30, 2008 12:00PM
i finished halflife2 episode 1 last night, started on episode 2. Great story line and nice intense action. portal is also not too bad, for a puzzle game.
January 30, 2008 02:04PM
For me, FPSs are a drag because i prefer playin wit a gamepad, But Halflife is an exeption, that game rocks!
January 30, 2008 03:15PM
finished portal the other day, it was good fun smiling smiley
January 31, 2008 09:43AM
Currently addicted to the witcher smile Got gears of war, crysis and bioshock too over christmas and as much as I want to play them I just can't pull myself away from it. So many games ... so little time :-(
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login