Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley Exam 2008 - Who passed ?

Posted by jacobusb 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement myUnisa availability 21 to 24 March 2019 03/17/2019 02:24PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
confused smiley Exam 2008 - Who passed ?
November 25, 2008 07:40AM
Hi,
The results are out.
How many of you actually pass ?
The fact that the exam only counts out of 70 a disadvantage !!!!
We did not have the opportunity to get some of the 30 points. This is the difference between pass or fail for some.!!!!
This means that all of us started with a disadvantage'
angry smiley
confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - Who passed ?
November 25, 2008 08:26AM
Hey,
I didn't make it...drinking smiley
47% - It's so close.
This means that I got 33/70 (30 marks they left out)
Jees, 2 marks!! Can't they get it somewhere? Or give it to me? (After all the confusion from this paper!)
Or do you guys think they'll lift the marks a bit if a lot of people get below 50?
Hope you guys did better!
November 25, 2008 08:32AM
Although I passed, i still feel this whole process has been unfair. To me, you can't just remove 30 marks out of an exam and say that this fixes the problem?

What about all the other factors that came into play because of the examiner's inclusion of the last question? What about those of us who spent way too much time TRYING to answer the last question, and getting more and more nervous as time ticked on and you couldn't figure out how to answer the question? Surely that skewed the amount of time you spent on the other questions?

And then what about the really POOR english and grammar used in the first 2 questions anyway? My english is above standard, and even I couldn't figure out what some of the questions meant? When i queried this with the examiners, their reply was that it was of acceptable standards.

My opinion is that anyone who failed this exam, should be given a fair chance to rewrite a supplementary in Jan/Feb.
confused smiley Re: Re: Exam 2008 - Who passed ?
November 25, 2008 08:34AM
Thanks Hogwarts,

This is exactly what I Were trying to say !
November 25, 2008 08:42AM
45%! I failed by three points!

I agree with fran13 that it is wrong to just ignore the last 2 questions and make the paper count out of 70 - this narrows the margin of error.

I think that they should actually give everyone full marks for the last two questions seeing that 'they' screwed up and not us. Why should we be penalised?

Fairness to the student!
November 25, 2008 09:04AM
Guys, i have also passed, but it does not mean that i dont feel wronged anymore. I passed a sigh of relief yes, but what about all the others who did not, not because they have not studied, but because someone did not do a proper job, making it the whole exam department cos in my opinion the paper should be reviewed by more parties before it goes to print.
I agree with Hogwarts about the rewrite, and the supplementary fee should not be charged.
avatar confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - Who passed ?
November 25, 2008 09:14AM
I also got 45%. Is this enough for a sub?
Lets be honest about this. We all complained about the last 2 questions and at least they tried to help us by dropping them. I do agree in the sense of if the last 2 questions was on par with the syllabus it would have help me in passing. Maby we can ask to write the sub for free. confused smiley
November 25, 2008 09:20AM
I got 59%, happy with the pass, but not too happy about the result, I agree that the way some of the multiple choice and "fill in the missing word" questions were asked led to confusion and mistakes.

I wish we could get a memorandum of this paper so that we could be specific in our queries to the lecturers.
November 25, 2008 10:13AM
Ok I'm not going to moan about this whole debacle anymore. I think they accommodated us by dropping the last two questions and that is all I wanted. Yes the paper was unfair but I'm sure that they will not make that mistake again. We were just the unfortunate people to write this crappy exam.

I'm going to ask the people that's mass e-mailing from the class distribution list to stop please. If you have a comment then post on the forum as I think that many of us receive allot of e-mails during the day and these just adds to the frustration of sifting through them.

Congrats to those who passed and I do agree the sub must be free for those of you who just did not make it.

M
November 25, 2008 10:34AM
I passed, JUST... 52%

I'm happy for passing but still angry about the content and questions in the MCQ and "fill in the missing words" that were out of sylabus.

I hope all those of you that write the sup get a disinction...
November 25, 2008 10:43AM
Does this mark include your year mark?
November 25, 2008 10:58AM
yes I think it does.
November 25, 2008 03:10PM
I did
November 25, 2008 06:08PM
got 72%.
November 26, 2008 01:34PM
Marking the paper out of 70 places far too high an emphasis on poorly phrased, often obscure,short answer questions. I believe the whole paper should be marked and those who score higher marks that way given the benefit of those marks. Everyone who failed should get a supp but even that won't change the fact that the exam was a travesty.

The English usage in the exam paper was nothing short of appalling.

I have passed quite comfortably so this is NOT sour grapes - it is just reality.
November 27, 2008 12:43PM
Makes me feel better that im not alone!
Me and my study-buddy both scored 48%. At least that should get us a re-write in Jan. Hope the paper looks better then.
Better luck next time, i hope
November 27, 2008 06:19PM
It is impossible to get 48% for a paper at Unisa.
November 27, 2008 10:04PM
Why?
Anonymous User
November 28, 2008 12:00PM
because they will push your mark up
December 01, 2008 04:26PM
Hi
There is a message on the myUnisa site from Prof Van Der Merwe that says the following:

Dear INF206 Student, After the moderation process, the external examiner recommended a 5% ajustment to the final mark. This was done. If you still feel that you were treated unfairly, you are welcome to ask for a remark of your question paper in which case: 1. All the questions in the exam paper will be marked. 2. You will receive the final mark given by the external marker. 3. You will not receive the 5% general ajustment. The INF206 Module team. (2008-11-26 15:34)
December 01, 2008 04:31PM
A question - what is fair about remarking a section that we were not told to study?
December 04, 2008 09:57AM
I Agree with Hogwarts!!
"what is fair about remarking a section that we were not told to study?"

How can this help us?
You still have to get more than 50% for the "unmarked" part during the remark to increase your mark!!
So you have to pass the part that's not in our syllabus to increase you mark!

How does this work?
December 05, 2008 11:11AM
Prof. is kidding u guys, how do u put back a section that was removed in the first place because it was not part of the syllabus and expect people to pass? Maybe I dont understand what's going on after all I got my 58% and I must say it helps me sleep at night.
Exam 2008 - Who passed ?
December 08, 2008 07:54PM
I think one of the problems is that not everybody is A students.
Some of us will be happy if we just pass, this doesn't mean that we did not work hard in this subject.
The fact that 30 point were taken away made the exam suddenly very hard to pass.
The margin for error is very narrow.
At least if there were additional 30 points some people could get some of it to pass....

I think somebody slipped up and it is easier to pass the buck to the students instead of sharing it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login