Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley Exam 2008 - issues

Posted by dianne 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement : Programming Students at UNISA School of Computing 06/19/2019 02:01PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - issues
November 01, 2008 03:40PM
Hi there all,

Thanx a million for this forum. At least im not the only person that stuggled with this paper! I agree 100% with what all of you are saying and please put my name on the complaint list.

I agree that there were ambigous questions all over the paper. Example was one of the MCQ -whats the anwer: the steering body or steering committee???Is there a serious difference?

I was very dissappointed with the whole paper, for i really studied hard and i felt that my knowledge has not been properly tested. It is as if the paper was a total ramshackle proposal to our knowledge.

Newcoming lecturers should be aware of the syllabus and properly test the students accordingly.

Lets wait for our results and see what it holds for us, maybe it will also be a reflection on the new lecturer.

Regards

Julie Groenewaldspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 02, 2008 09:43AM
I think that the exam was extremely unfair. It did not test our knowledge at all! My theory: our examiner woke up on the wrong side of the bed....

Seriously guys, I cannot afford to fail this course after investing so much of time and money already. The fact that I may have to re-do this course because no one will admit they messed up is disheartening.

It seems as if the lecturers and examiners are deliberately turning a blind eye, in an attempt to sweep this boo-boo under the carpet. User marisamocke could not have said it better: What is the way forward?

Do we strike, march, toi-toi? Everybody seems to be taking this line of action these days. In most cases it works! Seems abit drastic, but it's much harder to ignore us face-to-face than it is to on a forum. We have number on our side.

I will try to contact someone from UNISA-Stanger Street KZN tomorrow to set up a meeting to formally air our grievances. I suggest we all pitch up on one day, with one voice, no matter how difficult it may be to get those few hours off your busy schedules.

Let me know what you guys think.
November 02, 2008 12:11PM
@mvariyawa

I don't believe a mob approach is useful. We are still students at Unisa and the institution is the senior partner in the relationship. We can be very vocal without becoming unrespectable and disrespectful.

If you read through the posts in this thread you will note that several acceptable approaches have been mooted, some followed, and the acknowledgement got from the professors that something was possibly wrong with that exam and that it should be "monitored".
avatar confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - issues
November 02, 2008 03:22PM
I agree completely. The correct people knows about the issues we have and they will come back to us with their recommendations. I don't think toi-toi is the way to handle this. We are after all professionals and there's better ways in handling conflict than that.

I urge you to be patient - the Prof's will get back to us.
Marisa
November 03, 2008 10:44AM
Response from UNISA:

For myUnisa users registered for subjects INF206D-08-Y1
----------------------------------------
Dear students,

After the concerns raised by students we had discussions with the Director of the School on the last two questions. The information given in the examination tutorial letter 103 where we referenced the use of ‘entities’ might be considered inadequate information for preparation for the last two questions.

Therefore, we decided that we will not mark these two questions, and that the question paper will count only 70 marks.

The INF206D module team.
avatar confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - issues
November 03, 2008 11:15AM
FANTASTIC. Got the same e-mail now.

Thank you guys for all standing together. I'm glad that they decided to do this. This is fair.

Good luck with the rest of your studies!

M
confused smiley Re: Re: Exam 2008 - issues
November 03, 2008 07:37PM
Thats kind of a relief. doin ten subjects and being pegged back on just one isn't funny..
Thanks Prof!!!!
November 03, 2008 07:44PM
That is great news. Thank you to all who contributed to the forum and to the lecturers for understanding.
November 04, 2008 11:08AM
Whew!

What a relief! Big THANK YOU to all who contibuted.
confused smiley Re: Re: Exam 2008 - issues
November 25, 2008 07:39AM
Hi,
The results are out.
How many of you actually pass ?
The fact that the exam only counts out of 70 a disadvantage !!!!
We did not have the opportunity to get some of the 30 points. This is the difference between pass or fail for some.!!!!
This means that all of us started with a disadvantage'
Anonymous User
November 25, 2008 02:14PM
Failed...thanks Unisa. 30 marks that might have helped? Or my own retardation? I'll never know.sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login