Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smiley Exam 2008 - issues

Posted by dianne 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement myUnisa availability 21 to 24 March 2019 03/17/2019 02:24PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - issues
October 31, 2008 08:26AM
Ok I just emailed a couple of people regarding this exam ( I found some e-mail addresses on the UNISA website). I strongly suggest the more people complain the better for all of us. I think it is jut fair that we are examined on the material that was included in our syllabus. Please use 5 mins of your time and e-mail UNISA.

I will also look into the ombudsman situation after the exam today.

M
confused smiley Re: Exam 2008 - issues
October 31, 2008 08:36AM
I agree with everyone on this forum...

I really thought that the exam was from another handbook!

Okay well, not really - but we were not tested on the pre-scribed chapters!

The case study was unnecessarily tricky and the last questions not part of the syllabus!

Realy unfair! I hope they reconsider marking the unfair questions, seeing as they for some reason, MADE OUT THE BIGGER PART OF THE MARKS!!
October 31, 2008 08:38AM
Hi

Absolutely agree with everyone.

The bottom line is that we are in fact "customers" of UNISA, and we pay high fees for the modules we register for, and so it is only fair to expect the same standard of courtesy and professionalism back from UNISA.

The entire exam was very badly written and laid out. The English was horrific, the grammar and ambiguity of some of the questions made it almost impossible to figure out what answer they were expecting. And then to actually include a 30-mark question on a topic that isn't part of the syllabus?

One of the students on my the myUnisa forum has sent an e-mail to the lecturer/examiner - we will just have to wait and see what his reply is.

But I am definitely adamant that for the fee I paid, I expect to receive its full worth.
October 31, 2008 08:44AM
Do not wait for a reply. The reply I got was unacceptable. Please contact the dean of students, the dean of the faculty and send an email to exams@unisa.ac.za. Also it will help if you know someone in the system that can smoothe out a few bumps.
confused smiley Re: Re: Exam 2008 - issues
October 31, 2008 08:47AM
the link to the ombudsman is also very informative. but lets see if the dean can sort this out. If he cannot the you can send an email toyawning smileymbudsman@unisa.ac.za. Very important is that you must use the ombudsman referral form as outlined in annexure b. Regards
October 31, 2008 08:50AM
I agree with Louis.

Please dont WAIT for a response or just vent on the forum. Do something about it. If you wait you will not get the desired result. It is up to you to do something.

Marisa
October 31, 2008 09:03AM
I definetly agree. I felt like a stupid. And I also think all the question were not set at the level of our assigment.The process modelling question was so vague, I didn't know where to start and I think this is not fair at all.
October 31, 2008 09:12AM
I have spoken to the office of Prof Shahia and was told to phoneprof shenk first - 012 429 4730
spoken to: johanna malatji . I have done that, but I also implore you to do the same
October 31, 2008 09:35AM
It is interesting everybody is complaining about the exam, while the actual problem starts with the content. The amount of information in the content forces such a course to be open book. I am also in IT for years and believe me it is not half as bad as the examination and the text book. Someone mentioned something about rewriting the exam at a later stage, even if I was given 2 more years, I am not sure what to improve. It is the only course I ever finished the required chapter but I still thought the exam was unfair. The fill in the missing words expects us to remember the text book line by line. Looking at the bright side, they will be splitting the course into 2 modules.
October 31, 2008 09:48AM
I agree with jgomba, but that's just the way things work. The idea of a subject like this is supposed to be to teach us the steps and process followed to do the analysis and design of a new information system. Not to see if we can remember names of certain concepts and certain words used in the text books to describe certain things, but rather test if we grasp the process that needs to be followed. They are not supposed to see if they can trick is into doing the wrong things and giving the wrong answers, but to equip us to do our jobs when we are in the working world.

But this is a fundamental flaw in all education systems, no use trying to rectify this as I have seen this is something that happens at many institutions and subjects.

For now, let's just try to get fair examinations, with clear questions, as well being examined on the syllabus as communicated to us, and not just something which the examiners think we should know.
October 31, 2008 09:54AM
Whilst studying for INF207 for todays exam I could not help but wonder if I was actually studying for the INF206 exam.

The content of the INF206 exam seemed to resemble the INF207 content!

At the end of the day, anyone can become a professor or examiner if they have a degree, but it takes a really skilled person to know how to set an examination, THAT IS : TEST KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT WAS TAUGHT NOT TRY TO TRICK STUDENTS!

HIGH FAILURE RATE = POOR LECTURER - but unlike other professional organisations they do not get fired for inefficiency so are allowed to continue with their madness.
October 31, 2008 09:57AM
I agree with all the issues with regards to the exam paper. Question 2 and 3 was not up to standard at all.

I feel that it is totally unacceptable that we are subjected to this standard of exam paper. We as students put in a lot of time and effort in our studies and I certainly expect the same from the examiners. They should not try to outwit the students but rather try and test their knowledge.

I would appreciate it if this can be taken up with the correct people and resolved as this type of experience has a wider impact as they could imagine.
October 31, 2008 10:04AM
Hi All

I agree that the last Question was really unfair to us and it was worth 30% of the paper

We need to get full marks for this
October 31, 2008 10:06AM
So what is going to happen?
October 31, 2008 10:15AM
Read the thread and complain to the correct persons
October 31, 2008 10:17AM
I would like to make a recommendation for INF206-D:

Make the multiple choice count 2.5 marks per question instead of 1 mark per question and then do not count the last two questions (that together make 30 marks).
The exam will still be out of 100 marks however it will stay more to the format of the one stated in Tutorial letter 103. (50 marks MCQ, 20 "fill in the missing word, UP TO 50 marks Process modeling)
October 31, 2008 10:22AM
Those if you that has not done so yet, please do the following:

Email exams@unisa.ac.za with you complaints.

Contact the Dean of the faculty: Prof M Shahia Tel: 012 429 4419 Fax: 012 429 4798 Email: Shahim@unisa.ac.za

If a satisfactory response is not received, we contact the dean of students: Prof BP Mtala Tel: 012 429-6257 Fax: 012 429-6482 Email: ramasjt@unisa.ac.za

And if we are still not satisfied we contact the Unisa ombudsman - ombudsman@unisa.ac.za

As far as I can gather this is the correct procedure to follow. The more people we can get to do this, the better our chances of getting a satisfactory result.
October 31, 2008 11:53AM
The case study was very vague. It was unclear what was expected. Very different to what was stated in the examination tutorial. I thought I was the only one that felt this way. It’s good to know that I’m not alone.
Also try hellopeter.com
October 31, 2008 11:56AM
Definitely complain to the ombudsman, but don't hold your breath. I have tried it once before and found it hopeless..

I've also tried www.hellopeter.com and I got slightly better results from this. These complaints are open to by the public. OK, not that I actually want the public to think UNISA is useless, but the complaints will hopefully cause UNISA to do something to remedy bad situations.. I've had some kind of response from UNISA after complaining there - so do try this!

We should do all we can to keep UNISA's standards high - e.g. by providing them with feedback (good and bad) and complaining about unacceptable situations, policies and services.

Our hard work to get UNISA qualifications would have been for nothing if UNISA ever slides into renowned mediocrity.
October 31, 2008 01:05PM
Agree as to all posts

The case study is probably the biggest problem with this exam

I defined only the Customer System not the Webstore or the Order Fulfillment System (Case study said help with the Customer System only)

By my understanding this should not include the Inventory or Orders (Part of the Orders system) or the Shopping Cart (Part of the Web System). There should be lookups to the Orders system to track Order History and to the WebStore to track Web History

As for Entity Relationship Diagram that was not part of Syllabus
confused smiley
October 31, 2008 01:52PM
Hi
I have just sent a formal complaint to both the lecturers, as well as the dean of students and a few others. I will let you know if I get a response. The next step if nothing is done about it, will be to speak to the Ombudsman.

I just strongly feel that something must be done about this. We are after all customers of UNISA, and we pay good money and therefore expect professional tuition in return.
October 31, 2008 02:05PM
Hi

Prof van der Merwe has just called me and asked that we all please calm down. Their e-mail is apparently down and that is why they haven't replied. She said they are looking into it and will post a reply soon.

So we shall wait and see.
October 31, 2008 02:07PM
Thank you that was what we were waiting for.
October 31, 2008 02:08PM
Can you also let the students know on myunisa?
October 31, 2008 03:21PM
I should get the marks for the questions because I missed the fact that Chapter 8 was not included. Ha ha ... sometimes ignorance is bliss!
avatar confused smiley Re: Re: Exam 2008 - issues
October 31, 2008 05:42PM
Ok guys.... I got a reply from Prof A vd Merwe in my inbox.

Here it is...

"I have discussed this with Prof Lubbe (the module head for INF206) and I want to confirm that we will monitor the exam to see if your problems experienced were a general problem or individual problem – we will act accordingly.

Kind regards,

Prof A vd Merwe"

thats it.... so I guess were getting through!!!

Marisa
avatar confused smiley Re: Re: Re: Exam 2008 - issues
October 31, 2008 05:44PM
Ok and I got this from Prof Lubbe

"
Hi

I would like to point out to you that in order to draw a diagram you need to identify Entities. We had to try and improve the exam pass rate. Many students in the past could not identify these and did not get a good mark. Also, the other question you had to write down instead of drawing what you were asked to do.

I refer to the quote below: "DFDs show the flow of data from entities into the system, showed how the data moved from one process to another, as well as its logical storage." In order to draw a proper DFD you had to be able to list the entities and we had to ask to at least see if we can get more students to pass. We also assume, because of the limited time for courses that certain knowledge is in place.

This was all stated in the exam letter as well. I am sure it will go well in your exam.

Regards

Prof Sam Lubbe
"
October 31, 2008 05:50PM
Prof Prof A vd Merwe also just posted on the forum (new thread) that they are looking into the problem and that they noted our comments.

Okey dokey guys. Have a great weekend!

Marisa
November 01, 2008 11:43AM
guys! that exam was a mess. i dont know how on earth lectureres could do that kinda thing to us students but i bet you it was just not from this planet. the first question was ok but the second, talk less of the third, i think that was brought from a new planet that has not even been discovered. it was just too vague, some of the questions were not included in the sylabus, you know, i think the entity relationship diagram if i can remember very well, that was not part of study material to be covered. well what ever the case. the lecturers should think a bit about what we can actually do from what has been dispatched to us during the year before setting exams
November 01, 2008 03:17PM
I agree that the exam was quite surprising .. especially the case study
I am glad that there are others who feel the same way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login