Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Soundness, completeness, semantic entailment

Posted by KeithF 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Soundness, completeness, semantic entailment
February 05, 2008 07:01PM
Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I'm failing to grasp the concepts of soundness, completeness and semantic entailment. If I read the definitions in the book, it makes sense, but I can't seem to figure out how it all fits together in the big picture.

Does anyone know this stuff well enough to explain it?
Anonymous User
Re: Soundness, completeness, semantic entailment
February 20, 2008 02:48AM
Hi there!

Just wanted to offer some support, since I know when I wrote this exam last year (passed with a 73% Thank G-d), there were less than 100 students taking it, and you sometimes feel lost in an ocean.

It is a challenging course to teach to yourself, and if you feel slow - don't worry. It just is a very new way of looking at Logic and is like teaching yourself a foreign language, which is possible, but takes time.

My suggestion: Take a look at the material, do the exercises. Don't worry if you don't get everything. Then, look at the same work again a month or so later - in my case, I understood it so much better, as it had time to 'sink' in.

I wish I knew it well enough to explain it, but if you have any specific problems that I can answer, I'd love to help.

Best of luck.
Re: Soundness, completeness, semantic entailment
March 21, 2008 04:01PM
Thanks Sar,

Tried you advice, and it still hasn't sunk in. It's quite clearly something that I've missed along the way somewhere.

Oh well... sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login