Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1 : 18

Posted by ian.coetzer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 1 : 18
January 08, 2008 02:25PM
Hi

Has anyone figured out question 18?
Please let me know on what page of the text book / or internet did you find an example or article that discusses this topic.

Thanks

Ian
Re: Assignment 1 : 18
January 11, 2008 08:54PM
My guess would be answer 5, (same number as possible agent programs). In section 2.4: The Structure of Agents (pg 44), it mentions that the agent program is the implementation of the agent function, so answer 5 seems the most correct. I don't think the story about the architecture and the n-bits has any bearing on the answer.

My opinion; this was a bulls**t assignment! All this did was test your Google skills.
January 13, 2008 12:10AM
Hey!

I know it was prob. difficult to advise on this question but i did not want you to post your answer just if you referred me to pg 44. i would have been more confident with option 5 - which i also decided upon.

anyway, thank you very much for the reply

cheers

Ian
January 13, 2008 01:29PM
Sorry, got all excited!
January 13, 2008 09:13PM
Well the purpose of the assignment really is just to get you to get a broad 100 mile high picture of the subject material.

Its meant to stimulate you to look at certain areas in the field of AI and have some ideas of its boundaries. Its not a study assignment, its more a "take a look around before getting your feet wet kinda assignment."

You should try and think about "why" the lectures have give you a particular assignment - bearing in mind that the assignments are there to guide your learning and not proscribe your learning.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
January 13, 2008 09:56PM
Can see this is your favourate subject Ilan! Remeber from last year that the history of AI was actually very interesting to read - just a glimpse to get through Ass 1.
January 14, 2008 08:47AM
Ilan, I hear what you're saying, but there are far better ways of 'testing the waters'. For this assignment, once you managed to key in the 'magic' search criteria, the answers for the assignment questions popped up from one link to the next. I managed to complete it all within a space of 5 minutes. I didn't really learn anything from this.

So far, I'm really enjoying the subject material. The book is a very interesting read, but I felt quite let down by the assignment. It seems to me that it was just cobbled together at the last moment, just to get something out there that the students could submit before the 1st assignment deadline.

Anyway, just my opinion. I may be wrong (I hope I'm wrong!)
January 14, 2008 10:13AM
It took you 5 minutes cause you just looked for the answers to each specific question. Instead of taking the time to sit and read about the the area of thought from which the question came.

As you get further on in your degree you get less spoon feeding.

Bear in mind - if you only understand enough to just do the assignments in this course - you could very easily fail.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
January 14, 2008 10:37AM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The issues is not with been spoonfed, it's with the perceived lack of effort on the part of the assignment compiler. As I said, I may be and hope to be wrong, but that is the impression I got.

As an aside, those students who are willing to do extra-curricular reading and investigation will do that regardless of the type of assignment received. I strongly feel that you're going to get out of the degree what you put in. You're just wasting money by not investing the extra time and effort in your studies.

Anyhow, we're way off-topic now, and I've expressed my opinion. I'm willing to debate this further if you've got spare time on your hands (don't know what the forum policy is with OT discussions...)
January 14, 2008 11:55AM
lol. You're new here aren't you.

Essentially the people using the forum create the policy; and its very unusual to find a lecturer here.

The forum really "belongs" to the students to make of it what they will. Some courses you will the forums aren't used at all as the student that year weren't interested. Others you will find are full of discussions.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
January 14, 2008 12:39PM
Newbie alert! eye rolling smiley
January 14, 2008 01:47PM
Keith,
Welcome to Osprey phorums and all the other "mad" IT people.
Cos351 was a very active phorum last year, and with a few of the "old" one's repeating, would probably be again this year.
Reanie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login