Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The knoppix download from Osprey

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
The knoppix download from Osprey
January 27, 2008 12:53PM
I also didn't get the cd. No worries. It's a small download from osprey. I created a boot disk using nero on win xp. The resulting boot disk causes my pc to boot into an ugly monster called Caldera Dr-Dos.

This doesn't look at all like knoppix.
Re: The knoppix download from Osprey
February 05, 2008 01:47PM
No, that is just the boot image .... you still need the knoppix OS, which is about a 700MB ISO. I downloaded that from the knopper site. Took quite a while. I haven't however seen anywhere in the 501 book or anywhere where they actually refer to the Knopix OS and what we have to do with it ....

Does anyone have a clue ?
March 04, 2008 02:19PM
probably goign to sound totally clueless, but... could someone tell me wher eto dl the knoppix OS from and where exactly in this course is this needed? Tut letter 501 doesnt mention anything
Anonymous User
March 04, 2008 02:30PM
I got mine from our local freedom toaster at Pretoria Uni. I also scooped a few other distros too. That said, Knoppix really is an awesome implementation. Great for file recovery too, I'll bet smiling smiley
Take dvd's along and get the full iso. There's a hell of a lot of apps there.
March 04, 2008 03:24PM
i just checked its under the downloads of last year.
thats why i thought we needed it, didn't see use for it as yet.
March 05, 2008 08:25AM
Im in Durban.. so it's going to be rather hard for me to go along to the pretoria campus and get the DVD... altho I wish I could...

I serached for it on the net... but that file is HUGE.. 700MB or something...

Wasnt UNISA supposed to supply us with Knoppix on CD???
Anonymous User
March 05, 2008 08:49AM
like, duh. Dbn uni?
March 05, 2008 04:59PM
oh yeah ...*sorry* wasnt thinking

thanks
March 06, 2008 02:15PM
ok i went to dbn uni today and i asked about the cd

their reply?
"sorry, we dont stock it and it has to be sent form pta"

so now what
Anonymous User
March 06, 2008 09:19PM
open source isn't "stocked". You have to find it. I suggested a Uni because I came right there. An alternative is to sit and wait for them to send it to you. We don't need it yet
March 07, 2008 08:11AM
hmm.. i think i will get my friend to see if he can get it for me...

rather get starte with it early than late, and struggle
March 07, 2008 09:28AM
i wonder at what stage we need to load it? Assignment 2 or 3?
March 10, 2008 09:12AM
I started working on this subject this weekend and the only reference I can find to Knoppix is in the multiple choice assignment 3. About 6 arb multiple choice Linux questions around vi, chmod, ls, sed etc. Also according to TL101 we are supposed to get a CD.

They seem to focus on really basic Linux stuff (in the assignment anyway), so if you have ever worked on Linux it should be a breeze. I am not going to bother with Knoppix as I have a number of Fedora installations, and based on the assignment questions, any Linux distro should suffice, if required at all. I guess the nice thing about the Knoppix cd, from what I understand, is that you can boot from it and don't actually need to install it.

Personally I think it's going to be one of those "Unisa things" were you could easily just study a bit of theory without ever having to install any software, although I hope to be proven wrong.
July 24, 2008 04:57PM
Found it here if you wanna download it - hope its the right version...

www.knoppix.org

Direct Download link
ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/distributions/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0CD-2006-12-30-EN.iso
July 25, 2008 09:31AM
As a person doing computer science with limited internet access and limited download size who's never even seen Pretoria I can honestly say studying this degree through UNISA is nuthing but a total b****!!!!angry smileyangry smileyangry smileyangry smiley...to some extent I freaking regret it.
July 26, 2008 06:32PM
@BongaM - i've gotta say that if you dont have access to the net, it is almost impossible to finish the work. Submitted assignments to research, google is our friend delux! However, if do have the net, it is a cool way to study imho.
avatar Re: The knoppix download from Osprey
October 21, 2008 07:23PM
that's funny you live in South Africa order Ubuntu for free!!!
http://www.ubuntu.com/

---------
I'm Year '0110' Computer Student!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login