Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 3 Question 3

Posted by KeithF 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 3 Question 3
May 17, 2006 05:53PM
Do we need to write code for Ass3 Ques 3, or draw diagrams showing the changes in memory? The question is a little ambiguous...
avatar Re: Assignment 3 Question 3
May 17, 2006 07:01PM
KeithF

I agree that the question is badly worded but I don't think that it is ambiguous. The last point clarifies what is required, "Show the state of the list whenever a change occurs in the array."

There is no way to show the state at runtime using code so the only way to do this is using diagrammes. I would suggest that this is that same type of question as for Q3 and Q6 from assignment 2.
Re: Assignment 3 Question 3
May 18, 2006 08:40AM
Well, for the sake of arguing the point, you could strategically place a few std::cout's to show the state of the list, but yes, it is more likely that a diagram is required.

I just wanted to make sure before I spend a handful of hours drawing up pictures, only to find out that I need to write some code...
avatar Re: Assignment 3 Question 3
May 18, 2006 03:47PM
Tell you what, for the sake of certainty, I'll e-mail the lecturers and post their reply. smiling smiley
May 19, 2006 07:54AM

hi

You need to draw diagrams showing the changes in memory (a table with rows of numbers is fine).You do not need to write any code.

regards
Lazarus
May 19, 2006 08:42AM
Thansk guys, for clearing that up...
June 05, 2006 10:47PM
I've got a question regarding this question smiling smiley

If we need to show the changes in memory for these three sorting methods and for the insertion sort I do diagrams such as those on Pgs 567-568, I could end up with roughly 44 memory diagrams for this sorting method alone (thats 1 to show the value being copied to temp, 1 to show values being copied from one element to another, 1 to show the result of the copying process and 1 to show the value in temp being copied to its correct location).

Am I on the correct track?
June 06, 2006 07:59AM
I didn't show the diagrams for the very same problems that you mentioned. All I did was create a table showing the state of the list every time it changed.

Aronl mentioned is his post that table were OK.
June 16, 2006 10:04AM
omg i've written code with couts sad smiley sad smiley

well now that was a lot of wasted time
June 16, 2006 07:29PM
Crap...I also worte code, luckily I'm not done yet.

I made such an ass out of myself, thought i made a mistake when when my sorted list read 1,2,3,4...,12
only to realise, after struggling to find my mistake that it's supposed to look like that!
I never thougth about actually checking what the sorted list is without writing a program...hehehe silly
June 23, 2006 10:55AM
oh well silly me

I completely misunderstood that they wanted diagrams and showed the state using couts (just created a printlist method)
I really do think this question is ambiguous and think that they should accept either way of showing the state of the list and perhaps word it more carefully for next year's students.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login