Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COS112 Lecturer

Posted by Meshack 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
COS112 Lecturer
February 25, 2008 01:07PM
Mrs Schoeman

I am doing IT management in Unisa but I have a problem with COS112-v, I just cannot pass this module. This is my third time time that I will be doing it and each an every year I just understand what is going on and when I have to go sit for the exams, its nothing but frustration because I just know that I will fail.

Please help me in this regard as this module is a prerequisite for me to be able to do the second level computer science.

I would appreciate any form of help or advice that would be of help to my struggle.

Thank you.

Meshack Biyela (meshack_biyela@yahoo.com)
Re: COS112 Lecturer
February 25, 2008 01:11PM
I assume you have passed COS111-U. The only way to remember programing principals is to do alot of practical work. You have to understand how the concepts work. You cant just parrot language a bit of theory.
February 25, 2008 09:49PM
Like Randal said, practice....practice...practice!

Do some of your previous assignments and exam tut letters and do them with pen and paper. Then do them on a computer.

Keep on practicing.
Good luck.smiling smiley
February 26, 2008 11:02AM
Hi

Thanks for your input, really appreciated.

I have been practising but the problem is I just dont understand anything. I practise the past year assignments and exam papers, and think that I understand but only to find that I have been lying to myself. I think it is very difficult to do this module on your own, its just impossible. If there are any study groups available in JHB or Florida, I would really love to be part of those,so please let me know of such.

Thanks
February 26, 2008 12:41PM
Dear Meshack

The previous contributors gave very valid advice: practice, practice and do your programs with pen and paper before typing it in.

Programming modules are really hard work and take a lot of dedication. Ideally you should spend some time programming every day, and plan to dedicate at least four hours per week (preferably more) to COS112 every week.

Good luck!
Mrs Schoeman
PMR
March 11, 2008 09:49PM
Meshack,
I have years of programming experience and agree what has been said. However you will have to plan your progress through the sylabus. Make sure that you first write small programs on every topic presented. In that way you will build confidence and a better understanding. Make sure you pace yourself, and you should aim to finish the sylabus say, end-of-July, leaving you time to repeat the sylabus. The second time around, you will work faster, because the work will be familiar, and you can consolidate practise programs to cover related topics. If you can do this, you should get a >70% mark.

Sometimes I hit a "speed wobble" then I go onto the next topic. The next topic could be something that builds on the previous one. This gives you a better perspective to tackle the speed wobble again.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2008 10:10AM
WOW!! That was really good advise there.. I plan to implement ther same coz I'm having trouble with these programming modules. They tend to have a steeper learning curve. Thanks to ya'll.. Wat wd we do without these forums..? Thnx guys.
Frank
May 23, 2008 01:56PM
One of the things I have found with programming courses is that they usually don't teach how to program, they just teach the syntax of a particular language. That is the easiest part of programming to learn.

The tough part is realising that programming has less to do with writing programs and more to do with solving problems. More particularly, how to break a problem down into managable parts that can be solved one at a time.

This is what you should be focusing on. You should try and think about simple little things that can make your life better and try to write programs that can help you solve those problems. Start by pretending that you are the computer and thinking how you can solve the problem manually.

A simple example is sorting. If you shuffled a deck of cards, imagine telling an alien how to sort the deck. Once you've gotten that level of detail written down, the programming step just becomes a case of translating into the programming language.

Remember that most of the language features are there for efficiency, you can always write everything in main () and never use other functions or classes or templates etc. Those features just make your life easier if you know how to use them.

Start there.
May 23, 2008 02:26PM
I don't think your attempt to explain the sorting techniques of a deck of cards to the aliens would help avert their invasion of earth
May 29, 2008 11:11AM
I was lucky in that I was taught programming the old way, where most of the time we had to create lots and lots of flowcharts. This was also mostly because PC's were not generally available as they are today.

This helps quite a lot since I was trained to solve the problem first before I started to focus on the syntax of a language.

The lesson here is that any noob to programming should focus more on the design than the actual coding. It is very important and I see daily how developers suffer because they have no clue of system design and architecture.
May 29, 2008 06:17PM
Henry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was lucky in that I was taught programming the
> old way, where most of the time we had to create
> lots and lots of flowcharts. This was also mostly
> because PC's were not generally available as they
> are today.

Test Driven Development - its still da best way to code. Cause you only write what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login