Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista

Posted by mukwevhoe 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista
January 10, 2008 10:10AM
I managed to make DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 to run on Vista. If you want to know how, here is the free SOP.

Run the compatibility wizard, it is found in the Control Panel under Default Programs. Select DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 application from the folder you used to install the program from the supplied disk. Select the OS, I used XP Service Pack 2. I ignored the display settings. You will have to create a shortcut if you want to, from the application. That's it.
Re: DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista
January 17, 2008 12:50PM
Which version of Vista do you use?
January 17, 2008 02:27PM
I am using the home version
confused smiley Re: DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista
January 22, 2008 06:42PM
I use windows vista ultimate, I’ve set the compatibility to win XP sp2 and to run it as administrator. I've also inserted all the libraries as instructed, well it compiled correctly but as soon as there is a syntax error in the code, it doesn't display any syntax errors it just won't compile. Any Ideas?hot smiley
January 24, 2008 02:40PM
I downloaded MingW Developer Studio and point the program to use the compiler provided by unisa, this is working well. Debugging the lot. I just wonder is there specific reasons to use DEV-C++ or could we use any editor?
avatar Re: DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista
January 24, 2008 06:47PM
Hi

Looks rather cool, here is the url: http://www.parinyasoft.com/ drinking smiley

Remember that an IDE is just a way of editing your files and compiling/debugging your source code - So you could use DevCPP, MDS, ECLIPSE and it won't make a difference.

If your comfortable with the command line, you could then use a editor - Notepad, EMACS, VIM - and then just execute the correct commands to compile your source (Linux users generally opt for this).

Just remember that you are in affect only creating a text file with your source code.

...for compiling you need to use the correct compiler and this makes the difference ( So you are correct in your above instructions smile ). If you use a different compiler then your bin files will be different. I don't know if we have to supply a bin file in this module?? Not really looked at the stuff yet.thumbs up smiley

BTW: If you are considering a career in Development, you will need to become proficient in more than one IDE/EDITOR as your favourite one might not be available in the OS you need to develop on.
January 24, 2008 11:28PM
I think one of the reasons they chose DEV-C++ for an IDE is two draw attention away from the IDE and onto the code.

We need to write code segments in pen on paper in the exam and If you use an nice IDE that does 30% or 40% of the code for you (Code Completion, Code generation etc) it might be a bit difficult to do it all yourself in the exam.

If you're not a proficient programmer you might consider practicing on pen and paper, no IDE to help with syntax errors etc...
avatar Re: DEV C++ 4.9.8.3 compatibility with Vista
February 05, 2008 12:02AM
rdebruyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think one of the reasons they chose DEV-C++ for
> an IDE is two draw attention away from the IDE and
> onto the code.

Good point.

Would also recommend to anybody that uses an IDE everyday to also write their code out on paper - I was surprised how many syntax errors I made on my sheet of paper.
February 05, 2008 01:08AM
Yes, and in the exam, everything is hand written, so please do you self the favor and practice on paper!!!
February 22, 2008 02:16PM
hi there

i am running VISTA home premium and am unable to find the the compatibility wizard, under the Control Panel or under Default Programs. help urgently appreciated, if you can sms me your cell number and i will call you back, i can be reached at 082 372 1972.

regards
February 22, 2008 03:29PM
Open the control panel and type in compatibility in the search box, situated in the top right corner of the window. A "default programs" icon will be displayed. Underneath the icon there is text "use an older program....". Click on the text and the wizard starts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login