Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prac available

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement : Programming Students at UNISA School of Computing 06/19/2019 02:01PM
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
JwV
Re: Prac available
May 22, 2008 05:51PM
Hi Mac

Have read the chat from the link. There are quite a few points to keep in mind when doing the project.
May 23, 2008 09:49AM
Hi Mac,

Im thinking about adding an authenticiation form when administrators wants to manage courses and students coz we dont just abt any1 to change info on the
database.
(just a simple username and password validated by the .htpasswd file)
So basically whenever you click on the the "Manage Students" or "Manage Courses"
link you will be presented with a small logon screen to validate yourself.
If username and password is ok, redirect user to relevant page and allow him/her to update the database else give error message and return to homepage.

Would this be ok if i add it?
Mac
May 23, 2008 10:28AM
You can add what you want - but I'm only marking what is covered in the course (materskill) smiling smiley
May 23, 2008 10:55AM
ok.
one more thing, im validating the idno against the date of birth and sex
of the student.
i.e. first 6digits is date of birth and next 4 digits
determines the gender
eg. 0000-4999 - female
5000-9999 - male

This means that your idno should always tie up with your date of birth and gender...
Mac
May 23, 2008 11:07AM
Just a thought, if you ask a student his id number, you can work out his birthday and sex. Why ask for his birthday and validate it if you already have it. Just a thought. If a student does not have a id number (e.g. only a passport), then you can ask for this details.

I alway hate to fill in my birthdate if I have already filled in my id. WHy repeat stuff??
May 23, 2008 11:17AM
Hi..

Yeah true once the user enters his ID number you can get DOB and Gender so no need to enter that twice. Before i read that you could determine i think from the last 3 digits the persons race, but that was removed. Just some information smile
May 23, 2008 11:53AM
i only added the date of birth field coz its required as a data entry field
from the prac.pdf but i guess i can make the change that will automatically fill in the dob and gender when valid idno is supplied...
JwV
May 23, 2008 12:42PM
Hi there

I would say that a user should fill in his/her id num, dod, gender. This can then be used as a cross check that the person is not filling in garbage. If the data does not match a mail ccould be sent to the administrator stating that student xyz has entered questionable data. The user does not need to be informed that the data does not match thus a small level of security and data validation is achieved.

ernistus >> I believe that only digit 7 shows the gender. Thus 0-4 = female and 5-9 = male. The next 3 have an other meaning.
May 23, 2008 02:08PM
Hi.

Yeah that also a good idea to do validation in that way so i guess its what suits the webmaster/developer smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login