6 UNIVERSITY OF THE WESTERN CAPE 1,181

7 UNIVERSITY OF KWAZULU NATAL 1,449

8 UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA 1,501

9 UNIVERSITE DE LA REUNION 1,583

10 AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN CAIRO 1,704

Click here for more details
avatar Re: top 10 Africa university
six years ago
Look at that gap between UCT and UNISA. About a year ago UNISA ranked a position better than UKZN.
Re: top 10 Africa university
six years ago
Do you think we should study harder to bring up the UNISA's rankingconfused smiley?
six years ago
I doubt it would. A large portion of students would have to do well for UNISA to get a higher ranking. Also, the course content, and the course standard would have to be improved.

Then the service would have to improve (like that will ever happen).
six years ago
So, what can we do? Leave it and change to a better university? confused smiley
six years ago
Maybe...

It all depends on your needs and wants. I'm okay with UNISA. I don't know how to improve UNISA but I have suggestions.

Change course content and standards,
Have strict requirements for entry into courses.
Improve student support.

smile
six years ago
hehehe, luckily I am 702.....your talk station!
six years ago
These rating are very often misleading....lots of them are based on very wide criteria, such as number of publications etc. And also, some universities chose to specify in certain fields, like UJ is not very strong on technical stuff, but quite good at law etc....so like Shaun said, it depends what you want.

It would be interesting if they include in the ratings what universities produce the most successful people in practice....
Anonymous User
six years ago
rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hehehe, luckily I am 702.....your talk station!

and we appreciate it grinning smiley
six years ago
Yes, it would be nice to have stats on the students that actually are successful. Before we can do that, we have to define what successful is.

Anyway, if you are competent and have the ability to do whatever it is you do, then you don't have to worry about the university you attend. People recocnize hardwork and dedication irrespective of where you studied smile
six years ago
also i assume UNISA has an extremely high drop-out rate... im sure that would count unfavourably
six years ago
No 8 is an excellent result, Well Done UniSA!, thats not far from no 1 in context.
six years ago
Yeah, I'm still convinced UNISA could do ALOT better.

We should have compulsory assignments every week or two (4 per module is WEAK). They should also be more involved (MCQ assignments are just stupid).

The exams are often way too easy.
six years ago
Yes, I agree; there is a lot of room for improvement.
six years ago
BUt, I would think UniSA's operational model is very different compared to like a UCT, and serves a need that the other Universities don't cater for.

@UCT you would go to lectures and collect your notes and have class time for weekly tests, etc.

@UniSA , the overhead and cost to accomplish small tasks is much bigger, like producing an errata tut, entails a lot more than dashing down to the copy room and handing them out, especially with the posting (expensive @ even 10c per letter) etc.

So I think to compare a centralized institution with decentralized institution can be like a bit like comparing apples with oranges, both fruit, but different.
six years ago
This ranking is not very accurate..it ranks universities based on their web presence...universities without their own domain are not ranked at all(although I suppose a university without a website is probably crap). Check out the 'About the Ranking' link on the website.
six years ago
Sanoz0r Wrote:
> also i assume UNISA has an extremely high drop-out
> rate... im sure that would count unfavourably

And that is their main source of income, the drop out rate of first year's who dont need lecturers as most material is reused, and electronically marked.....

Dont forget, UNISA is a business, it runs on profit. First years have low overheads, salaries are usually the biggest costs of any company smiling smiley
six years ago
Cameron Wrote:
> BUt, I would think UniSA's operational model is
> very different compared to like a UCT, and serves
> a need that the other Universities don't cater
> for.
>
> @UCT you would go to lectures and collect your
> notes and have class time for weekly tests, etc.
>
> @UniSA , the overhead and cost to accomplish small
> tasks is much bigger, like producing an errata
> tut, entails a lot more than dashing down to the
> copy room and handing them out, especially with
> the posting (expensive @ even 10c per letter)
> etc.
>
> So I think to compare a centralized institution
> with decentralized institution can be like a bit
> like comparing apples with oranges, both fruit,
> but different.

I do think that UNISA operates cheaper, as they dont need enough resource for a one on one relationship with students. Also, they dont need lecture halls etc. I dont think they therefore care about ratings, beside, if you are a part time, correspondence student, where else would you go?
Anonymous User
six years ago
unisa is also a full time university - so they have do have lectur halls etc etc etc. Ithink in terms of buildings thy may be bigger than wits. but I may be wrong
six years ago
I'm not sure about the financials of UniSA, but I totally agree about being in the education business, but also understand that there are satellite units all over SA, where other Uni's are centralized, and may increase the overhead. I know for sure that UCT degree is more expensive than UniSA per Degree, by far. Then there is size to take into account, UniSA has the largest student body in Africa, I think.

Yes, the majority of the income must come from the 1st, 2nd years or certificate courses; as there a lot fewer student as they progress upwards, but I'm not sure about if there is intent of profiting off dropouts.

Exactly, where else can a student get a degree through distance learning?
six years ago
There are a few overseas universities that offer correspondence studies. Do a google search smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login