Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Music vs. Maths

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
December 07, 2007 09:45AM
Is there a link/correlation between classical music and maths? Someone at work told me this now, he even said that sometimes when you want to study maths they even look at your musical abilities/background.

Sounds like a pot of *&^%&$???
December 07, 2007 09:59AM
Not sure but my cousins are both musically and mathematically inclined. I do think that certain types of sounds activate certain parts of the brain and therfore increases your critical thinking ability.
December 07, 2007 09:59AM
Read Doctor Faustus by Mann.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
December 07, 2007 01:14PM
Did I mention that I am tone deaf confused smiley
December 07, 2007 01:16PM
iva
Re: Music vs. Maths
December 09, 2007 05:04PM
I also heard this from someone, but i don't know where he got the info, i did well in both in school (unisa piano grade 8 in std8 and did some grade 8 material in primary school), but that could just be coincidence, well now that i think about it my sister also did well in both, more so than me as she was studious, but even after reading some of these links i can't see why. most mathematically incline ppl i know are not musical/artistic (my dad) and most musical/artistic ppl i know hate maths (my mom) ..so go figure
December 09, 2007 09:39PM
I have my Natal shool colours for Clarinet. But I havent played since high school.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 10, 2007 08:25AM
I am utterly tone deaf, but did exceptionally well in Maths at school.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
Anonymous User
December 10, 2007 09:23AM
you are tone deaf - but can you play a piano/ read music?
December 10, 2007 09:28AM
I can read music, and play a piano off sheet music, but I cannot play by ear at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 10, 2007 10:03AM
doing well at school maths doesn't necessarily correlate with being good at maths though.

that's not a swing at you (velvet) btw, just saying i know some completely retarded people ("teacher, what exactly is x? why can't we make up our minds about it instead of always making it some different number?"winking smiley who got their A's for hg maths.

-------
'I don't care anymore what a bunch of atheists (or whatever they want to call themselves) want to believe. Its pointless to try and convince someone of your own belief if all they care about is the bliss of their ignorance.'
'i think both subjectivity and objectivity equals in meaning'
'Hey all you satanists.'
'harsh? sorry, i don't have the basic understanding of such a word.'
'I though zombies were living dead corpses walking around trying to eat young virgin girls'
'But perhaps we just transfer into another dimension. If you lived a good live you transfer into say, the 7th dimension, and if you were bad you transfer into the 6th dimension. And if your state of being is not very well defined you only get to the 5th dimension, being closest to our current 4 dimensions of perception, explaining the whole ghost thing.'
'If I kill a snail, would that be considered as murder, because in a million years that snail might be a human?'
- Randal Flag
December 10, 2007 10:30AM
My music classes in high school would not have helped at all....our teacher was so weird, she had major issues....EVERY music class we would sing that song of:

"How I love to hate you, how I love to hate you, HOW I LOVE TO HHAAATTTEEE YYYOOOOUUUU!!!"

And that other one, "I swear, I left her by the river, I swear I left her save and sound...."

Eve today when I hear these songs I get a cold cold feeling!
December 10, 2007 11:13AM
I'm lucky enough to have always had an intuitive grasp of maths. The only times i have struggled is when I have been exposed to maths where I am missing some of the building blocks, and when I go through the building blocks back to that point, it's like "oh, right, that's how it works." It's one of the reasons I believe that maths can be accessible to everyone, provided they are shown all the steps. Unfortunately, the school environment means that typically those without an innate mathematical aptitude don't understand a concept somewhere, but the syllabus sweeps along anyway, and they then can't grasp the later concepts based on that first concept.

Interestingly enough, I have always been drawn to music. I can lose myself in music for hours and love to sing. If I could be anything, I would probably choose to be a singer/musician. Unfortunately, I just don't have any aptitude for music.

December 10, 2007 11:37AM
You are quite right Velvet - the syllabus at school isn't kind to students that have a hard time keeping up with the pace. Its not fair that people are kind of deprived of good quality math education.
December 10, 2007 11:48AM
deprivation is only the case when a student actually wants to learn (cf. usual / "normal" high school interests) though...

i quite agree that (almost) anyone can learn non-trivial maths given the time and effort, thing is that most people don't have a real use for it, and don't find it enjoyable for its own sake because of how it's institutionalised.

-------
'I don't care anymore what a bunch of atheists (or whatever they want to call themselves) want to believe. Its pointless to try and convince someone of your own belief if all they care about is the bliss of their ignorance.'
'Hey all you satanists.'
'I though zombies were living dead corpses walking around trying to eat young virgin girls'
'But perhaps we just transfer into another dimension. If you lived a good live you transfer into say, the 7th dimension, and if you were bad you transfer into the 6th dimension. And if your state of being is not very well defined you only get to the 5th dimension, being closest to our current 4 dimensions of perception, explaining the whole ghost thing.'
'If I kill a snail, would that be considered as murder, because in a million years that snail might be a human?'
- Randal Flag
December 10, 2007 11:51AM
My piano has borer and its going to cost me to get it to the fumigators sad smiley.
They charge extra by the number of steps they have to transport the piano and I live up three flights.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
December 10, 2007 12:28PM
isn't it cheaper to push piano over balcony and buy a brand new one?
December 10, 2007 12:52PM
firewood.

(btw celene, i bet it's a family heirloom we're talking about winking smiley)

-------
'Hey all you satanists.'
- Randal Flag
December 10, 2007 01:00PM
get more quotes.
December 10, 2007 01:02PM
busy

-------
'Hey all you satanists.'
- Randal Flag
December 10, 2007 01:20PM
Its not an heirloom.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 10, 2007 01:37PM
chop chop chop
Anonymous User
December 10, 2007 02:23PM
so it will make very old firewood - burns even better winking smiley
December 10, 2007 02:54PM
save money on firewood, save money on transport.

damn, we're good cool smiley

-------
'Hey all you satanists.'
- Randal Flag
December 10, 2007 02:59PM
lol, and with the petrol price - its a good thing to save money on transport.
December 10, 2007 03:04PM
no.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login