Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Martin Heidegger

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
November 13, 2007 12:34PM
Has anyone read any of his books?
Anonymous User
Re: Martin Heidegger
November 13, 2007 12:35PM
November 13, 2007 12:37PM
thanks rick thumbs up
Anonymous User
November 13, 2007 12:38PM
November 13, 2007 12:56PM
I've read some (Heidegger) - why do you ask?
November 13, 2007 02:09PM
where do I start smiling smiley

time and being or good and evil? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
November 13, 2007 02:20PM
Being and time is a bitch ass. I wouldn't suggest starting with that straight away.
Start with something simple. Johnathan Ree's "Heidegger" was my first introduction to his work, it's a great (and small) little book - really worth getting your hands on. This will give you a nice introduction to his project in being and time.
Then maybe try get hold of Basic writings edited by Krell, this has a pretty cool introduction about Heidegger as well as a good selection of his work on metaphysics, from an excerpt of Being and time through to his stuff on Art and language.
But if you wanna tackle being and time straight. Dreyfus' book "being-in-the-world" is a fantastic guide. More than any book on MH I found this one to be truly useful. With this you should be able to, at least somewhat, penetrate the hardcoreness that is Heidegger's work ... it's a tiring job.
Good luck, it's a big undertaking. I've been reading his stuff for years now and I'm still never sure if I've understood what he's on about - lol.
I'm not familiar with "good and evil" though, is it by MH himself, or a book on his thought?
Why on earth are you putting yourself through reading him if you don't mind me asking? Just for your own interest? For something in your Masters?
November 13, 2007 02:41PM
hehehe, not for master not, but thanks to my masters. My (very german) co-supervisor has a PhD in computer science, and he is now busy with some kind of a doctors in philosophy. We were discussing spirituality, parallel universes, and the concept of time over a few glasses of red wine. He then told me that Heidegger had very similair few about these issues than I do. He suggested I read being and time.

the other book is: Martin Heidegger, Between Good And Evil by Rudiger SAFRANSKI
http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Heidegger-Between-Good-Evil/dp/0674387090

Another nice one seems to be:
The Question Concerning Technology, and Other Essays by Martin Heidegger
November 13, 2007 02:47PM
Ah, that makes sense.
Yeah, Heidegger is interesting. But he's a tough nut to crack. Make sure you have a lot of time to sit with that book if you're gonna read it.
Heidegger's views seemed to change a bit after he published Being and Time, although some dispute this, but he did a lot of his later work in essay form, they tend to be interesting. But give the young Heidegger a chance first.
Also, try read up a little about Husserl and maybe a little about Aristotle's metaphysics (actually, it helps if you have a good grasp of philosophy in general) and you'll get way more out of it.
I'd offer to help you with any of it if you get stuck (at least we'd be stuck together) but if your supervisor is a Heidegger buff he'd be way more help grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login