Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

post-poning an exam

Posted by Dumzaz 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
post-poning an exam
October 15, 2007 03:11PM
Am considering post-poning one of my exams due next week - I think they say you can "defer" an exam. Has anybody ever done this? If successful, do you get to write in Jan or mid-year? Have called the UNISA call-centre and there's a lot of loopholes in what they say
Re: post-poning an exam
October 15, 2007 03:14PM
If I was you, I'd write the exam even if you think you're going to fail. You've paid your full fees so it seems like a waste of money to not write.
If you fail then you get to write the supp, if you pass then wonderful.
Anonymous User
October 15, 2007 03:35PM
you have to have a valid excuse for defering the exam - like you were in hospital, or have a valid dr's note. they won't accept stuff like "I was stressed" or "I had too many exams". If you do defer, they will let you write in january but I think you need to pay extra.
October 15, 2007 03:44PM
its about R200 per supp.
October 15, 2007 03:54PM
R200 - That's steep. I suppose the best option is to write after all. I just feel I would be in a much better position writing this paper in Jan. I suppose I will write it after all and surprise myself by passing it. Thanks guys.
October 15, 2007 03:58PM
I was going to not write a paper for a subject that I'm really behind in. But I'm persevering and working my butt off to cover the work before the exam. I'm hoping I'm also going to pass.
Its difficult learning for supps because there's so much happening in December so its hard to find the time. This year I did worse in my supps then I did in the final exams so it was a waste of money.
October 15, 2007 04:07PM
Its easy to go to the doctor and say I am so stressed I am unable to function properly give me a doctor's note.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
October 15, 2007 04:18PM
but then you have to pay for doctor's fees.
Anonymous User
October 15, 2007 04:30PM
and get re-stressed in january again
October 15, 2007 07:17PM
Yeah. But if you have six exams in five days now; you would only have one then.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
tc
October 15, 2007 10:48PM
i will be in hospital for an op the day before and also wanted to know the way to defer an exam
October 16, 2007 08:17AM
All the best with the op.
October 16, 2007 08:38AM
Last year I was in and out of hospital during my exams. In fact before two of them I was in hospital the day before the exam; and for one of them I had to rush to hospital after the exam.

I decided rather to write than defer; as I saw myself getting a supplementary in the worst case; and the last thing I wanted was to not have a holiday.

... and I got a bunch of first class passes!

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
tc
October 16, 2007 01:59PM
thx Andre
October 16, 2007 02:03PM
If you can't make it to write the exam, then I'd phone the exam department and see if you can write the supp without paying extra.
October 17, 2007 04:52PM
What mark must you get in the final to qualify for a supp???
Anonymous User
October 17, 2007 05:24PM
30%
October 17, 2007 05:46PM
wow....thats nice.

With honours, I was told there are no sups....as exams are in january/february
Anonymous User
October 17, 2007 07:05PM
Are you sure about 30% and over being okay to get a supp? Is that the case with all degrees? So,why did I think it was 45 - 50%?
October 17, 2007 07:06PM
Science courses are different to Arts courses.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
October 17, 2007 07:17PM
Yeah - we fail harder grinning smiley
Anonymous User
October 17, 2007 07:32PM
So for a Bsc if you get 30% - 49% - you get a supp no matter what?
October 17, 2007 08:10PM
Always used to be "45-49%" from what I can remember... Perhaps they have lowered this recently though and I don't know about it..

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
October 18, 2007 09:12AM
I know for bcom it was also 45-49....
Anonymous User
October 18, 2007 09:53AM
I thought in the past if you got 49% they passed you. but it useed to be 40-48% was a supp - I recall in 99 I got 42 for a maths subject and was allowed to rewrite. After that I didn't fail till honours again - there you have the bonus of redoing the whole course sad smiley
October 18, 2007 10:23AM
hehehe, yes, no mercy for honours....I was so sick the weekend before INFMANA, and due to constant procrastination, I left everything for that weekend. It is bad if you feel like your dying, and you know they wont give you a sub, no matter what the doctor say.....ouch!
Anonymous User
October 18, 2007 02:09PM
On the subject of postponing exams, I did this last year, I just sent them an email requesting this and said I was very busy at work. Simple as that. The price for supp is R130.00
October 18, 2007 02:13PM
That's great news....now i can include that in my budget for the Festive Season spending...
October 27, 2007 11:03AM
Hi Sar

I also thought a sup was 45 - 49, but with the new yeark marks...do we have to calculate the total of 10% year mark, and then 90% exam, and if this falls between 30% and 48% then it's a sup?? i'm sure it just can't be a 30% in the exam paper only...

Where did you see the rule about the percentages about the sup? i'm extremely excited because i want to finish my degree next year, and am i but worried about one of my papers which is a pre-requisite...

On the note of deferment, i deferred my some of my exams for the previous 2 years, just stating work commitements(which was actually true). Got an email back within a week confirming the new dates in Jan.

I wish i could have taken more subjects earlier in my degree and deferred some every year, and then got my degree quicker...i think they don't really care about the deferments because they are making money off us smile

Please let me know where you saw the sup requirements.

Thanks
NIRI
Anonymous User
October 29, 2007 02:25AM
Hi Niri,

I am not sure where I saw the supp requirements - but, I remember being told / seeing it a few years ago. It is possible that with the new marking system this year, the supp requirements have changed. But, it definitely used to be 45% - 49% in the previous years (though I never wrote one, actually).

I didn't know about the ease with which they give one a deferment - if I would've known - I would've made use of it this year. A pity.

Anyways, good luck to all - hope you get the mark you're hoping for!

Sarah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login