Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where do we go from here

Posted by sombu 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Where do we go from here
June 26, 2007 03:42PM
Hello everybody!

I just graduated last months (BSc Software Engineering). I do not have much (any) experience. Where do I start?

Any ideas...
Re: Where do we go from here
June 26, 2007 03:55PM
I wish I knew...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
avatar Re: Where do we go from here
June 26, 2007 03:58PM
classifieds smiling smiley

Have you not been working while you were studying? It is maybe a good idea to get a CV together, and then approach a personnel agency to maybe look for an entry level position?
Anonymous User
June 26, 2007 04:16PM
where are you based - jhb or elsewhere? There is an agency in rosebank for entry level career people
June 26, 2007 04:34PM
I have found that Career Junction and PNet is a very good source for positions.
You actually get interviews, but have to struggle with incompetent head hunters though. :-(
June 26, 2007 10:10PM
Contact large companies and ask if they have a graduate program.
June 27, 2007 08:01AM
If you are in Cape Town, I can give you the name of a company that has a graduate program for Delphi/C# programmers.
Anonymous User
June 27, 2007 11:15AM
standard bank has a huge graduate program - you can see the stuff on their internet site.
June 29, 2007 08:06PM
Thanks guys for trying to help.

I stay at Kwagga, about 1 hour to Pretoria but I am actually looking for positions in Pretoria and Jhb. And I have been and still working as admin clerk at local school. That does not help me much on my CV, does it?
Anonymous User
July 03, 2007 07:42AM
At least it shows that you worked and didn't sit around doing nothing smiling smiley put your cv on places like pnet and carreerjunction in the mean time.
July 03, 2007 09:44AM
yip, the most important thing is to not have gaps in your cv, to show that you have been working all the time smiling smiley
July 03, 2007 10:02AM
If you go to the following site, you'll get a very nice IT CV template to download:
www.jobfishing.co.za
July 03, 2007 03:51PM
and take the job if you are offered... i started off with a very bad salary and was taken advantage of for a while... but it helped me get my current job.
July 03, 2007 04:06PM
matthew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and take the job if you are offered... i started
> off with a very bad salary and was taken advantage
> of for a while... but it helped me get my current
> job.

I agree. I struggled to initially get started as well, but took a not so good job and stayed there just over two years. After that I got a better job and then a better job etc. It does work, but you must initially be patient unless you get lucky and somebody gives you a good job without experience.thumbs up (Never heard of this actually happening though.)
July 03, 2007 04:08PM
And if you can't find paid work, volunteer for a few months while you're looking. Helps the CV since you can show some work experience.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2007 04:08PM
Where can one volunteer?
July 03, 2007 04:13PM
Depends on what you're doing. I started out with webdesign by doing some non-profit websites for free. Non-profits are easy to get into as they're always looking for help.
If you're coding, find a company that will give you some dog work to do -- the bigger companies tend to be a little harder to get into so I'd try a smaller one. Look around for companies that do something you find interesting so even if all you're doing is photocopying and answering phones, you can still learn something. Also helps to go ask for openings in person (make an appointment) - harder to ignore you that way!
July 03, 2007 04:15PM
Good suggestion. Look in the newspaper for jobs. Contact then and even if you don't get the job, volunteer for a few months. This way you get experience to put on your CV and they might like you and offer you something more permanent.

Join a professional society/go to product launches/trade shows etc as well to network and meet potential employers. I read somewhere that 3/4 of jobs are filed through networking or word of mouth - not ads and interviews.
July 03, 2007 04:17PM
its all about stepping stones smiling smiley
July 03, 2007 04:21PM
Or you can start your own company in your moms garage, and sell it for billions thumbs up smiley
July 03, 2007 04:22PM
rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or you can start your own company in your moms
> garage, and sell it for billions thumbs up smiley

That will only work if you look like an UBER geek and did not finish your degree...smile
July 03, 2007 04:25PM
aaahhh, too late for me then, already completed 2.....but if you guys throw in the towel now....who knows!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login